Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Supervalu in Tullamore.

Options
  • 28-01-2017 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. Just out of curiosity really but the is no Supervalu in tullamore. We have two dunnes, tescos, aldi and Lidl but no Supervalu. Anyone know why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Dunnes keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hi all. Just out of curiosity really but the is no Supervalu in tullamore. We have two dunnes, tescos, aldi and Lidl but no Supervalu. Anyone know why?

Answered your own question there, the place seems to have enough supermarkets, why would another one come in when there's that much competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Harlandegroat

scudzilla wrote: »
    Answered your own question there, the place seems to have enough supermarkets, why would another one come in when there's that much competition?

Just seems to be the only county town of that size without one

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Supervalu is franchised. Someone local-ish needs to decide to open one or join up their independent shop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With that much competition and SuperValu being usually more expensive it would be commercial suicide to open one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ennis doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why would you want the opportunity to pay more for the same goods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You never get Supervalu Ina town with Dunnes and Tesco. It's their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I think there are two Centras in Tullamore and I believe Centra is same as Supervalu

I think there are two Centras in Tullamore and I believe Centra is same as Supervalu

They're both franchised by Musgraves, but aren't the same thing. Centra is convenience store and Super Valu is a supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You never get Supervalu Ina town with Dunnes and Tesco. It's their business model.

Castlebar, Westport, Roscommon, Carrick on Shannon, kilrush, to name a few. Theory debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭munster87

Except quite a large number of towns

munster87 wrote: »
    Except quite a large number of towns

Yes. That's the rule :)

Leavy's Centra on Henry Street is good small supermarket with musgrave offers tbf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kilkenny has 2 supervales and a Dunness, no tesco though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Roscommon has all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

Cabaal wrote: »
    Kilkenny has 2 supervales and a Dunness, no tesco though

Being in Kilkenny today, once again I marvel at Dunnes retail model.
    There is a huge Dunnes at one end of the town and another in the Mc Donagh centre at the other end.

Neither can possibly be making the money required by their size.

One can only assume that Dunnes went into the Mc Donagh centre to stop Tesco's getting a foothold in Kilkenny.

cml387 wrote: »
    Being in Kilkenny today, once again I marvel at Dunnes retail model.
    There is a huge Dunnes at one end of the town and another in the Mc Donagh centre at the other end.

Neither can possibly be making the money required by their size.

One can only assume that Dunnes went into the Mc Donagh centre to stop Tesco's getting a foothold in Kilkenny.

Bingo

Maynooth - 16k people and all three plus a huge independent. Not even an ex Superquinn as some are

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Newbridge has all three within 300-400 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ennis doesn't.

None in Sligo with 20,000 pop approx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Theres none in our large county town either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Geuze wrote:
    None in Sligo with 20,000 pop approx.

I always found that fairly odd. I know there's one in Ballisodare but a lot won't drive out there just for one SuperValu. I'm surprised they never moved into the town somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

None in Dundalk, 7th biggest town in Ireland.

kc66 wrote: »
    None in Dundalk, 7th biggest town in Ireland.

Border killed any chance of that. They know how badly Superquinn serially failed

Advertisement