Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quigly fight

• 28-01-2017 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Just in! Jason Quigley vs Glen Tapia in a 10-round battle for the vacant NABF middleweight title on March 23 on ESPN. #boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

That's a good match-up for Quigley. Tapia's name out-weighs his ability thanks to that fight with Kirkland.

Tapia's no great shakes but he's been in with some recognised guys. Quigley will be putting himself on the map if he wins this one impressively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see the Quigley fIght is on ESPN2.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

I see the Quigley fIght is on ESPN2.

Best of luck to Jason tonight, if he wins I think there might be a chance he could get a proper title shot before the year is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Link to watch Jason Quigleys fight, should be on next.
    http://www.irish-boxing.com/watch-live-jason-quigley-v-glen-tapia/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Nice wee preview there on Quigley. Mentioned he had 250 amateur fights and is very hungry.

Guy walking behind him on ringwalk singing with a bodhran! Quigley looks very assured and loose. Good body language.

B-Hop and Atlas on the commentary.

• Advertisement

This will not go the distance. Tapia standing right in front of it and getting basically beaten up.

First round Quigley got a great right flush on the chin that rocked him. In the second a great body shot. End of a second ref over to Tapia's corner.

Ominous.

Well well it did go the distance but questions about Quigley. After the second he was breathing like I was last time in Stranorlar!

No doubt on the decision but he should have pushed on after the first 2 rounds but as Atlas rightly said he's not a pro yet and that is not necessarily a criticism.

Absorbing fight and no doubting Quigley's promise and a good win against someone who has been with the top guys but......

The ref was excellent but at the end of the 9th he approached Tapia and said that if he didnt show him something he would stop it and that he was losing every round. Very unfair.

Judges scores were honestly a bit flattering with Atlas saying they should take some punches!

100-90

99-91

98-92

Quigley has a long way to go but he can do it. This fight will teach him so much in the long run.

Lastly they had live coverage of McGuigans bar in Stranorlar approaching 4am at home and there was some young one standing there holding a baby:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I watched his fight last night. Good win and as someone said above, a good way to learn what's involved in the step up.

Quigley did not throw his right for the last 3 rounds, it looked a bit swollen at the end of the fight when he was holding the belt. He obviously damaged it during the fight somehow.

Anyway, congrats to Jason and it is great to see another young Irishman making his mark on the world stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched it. Is anyone feeling confident for Jason going to the top based off his most notable fight to date? I just cannot see it. Good, but run of the mill kind of good. I don't see that fire, zip, ferocity that I liken to elite middles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

That's a very fair point. He's learning by having good tests rather than being fed a diet of stiffs for 30 fights. He still has plenty of time to develop and hopefully will learn from his mistakes.

You made a good point about not using his jab. It was only in the last two rounds, when (as another poster said) it was obvious that his right was gone, that he used his jab to it's best and he wasn't touched. It's not just him, I see lots of fighters that just don't use it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Atlas was a disgrace on the commentary. He is sometimes a bit biased towards the American fighter, but that was 40 minutes of relentless negativity towards Quigley.

When Quigley traded he was 'panicked' and 'bewildered'. When he boxed he was 'doubting himself'.

He's obviously very green but Atlas was determined to slate him every way he possibly could. After the 7th he reckoned Quigley was only a point up! Thank god he wasn't one of the judges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Henno30 wrote: »
    Atlas was a disgrace on the commentary. He is sometimes a bit biased towards the American fighter, but that was 40 minutes of relentless negativity towards Quigley.

When Quigley traded he was 'panicked' and 'bewildered'. When he boxed he was 'doubting himself'.

He's obviously very green but Atlas was determined to slate him every way he possibly could. After the 7th he reckoned Quigley was only a point up! Thank god he wasn't one of the judges.

I find him next to impossible to listen to. He's so overbearing he completely takes over the commentary and behaves as if the entire broadcast is about him and his views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I think Quigley did well. Tapia was a decent step up in class after just 30 pro rounds. The ten rounder will do him the world of good. He will be able to look back through the fight with his coach & learn a few improvements.

megadodge wrote: »
    I find him next to impossible to listen to. He's so overbearing he completely takes over the commentary and behaves as if the entire broadcast is about him and his views.

What summed it up for me was one of the lads at home didnt even know Hopkins was also on!

Think he's a bit unhinged. Seeing him live with Bradley was illuminating. In the ring before Bradley got back to his corner. Screaming at him etc.

No doubting his pedigree but definitely a control freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Teddy is a very good analyst as regards his knowledge of the intricacies of the game, but like Paulie, he won't shut up when he's supposed to. Tries too hard to ram his views across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Jason broke his hand & damaged tendons apparently in round 2. He didn't do so bad at all in that case!

Advertisement