Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jnlr February 2017 thread

• 28-01-2017 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Any predictions for the Jnlr figures out next Thursday ? Will 2fm still be in freefall ? Will newstalk be down ? Will Anton Savage have gained before his axing/resignation ? Will 4fm still have no listeners in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Absolute collapse in the listening figures for Newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Will both 96FM and RedFM claim to simultaneously have the most listened to talk shows yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Absolute collapse in the listening figures for Newstalk

I'd agree - breakfast show in particular.

George hook will probably hold his own.

Moncrieff has gone down with guests very much b list.

Evening can be hit and miss, but can be interesting.

Breakfast show is just appalling - no chemistry between the presenters and Williams is possibly the worst radio presenter I've ever heard.

Here's an idea

Matt Cooper move upstairs from today fm to breakfast show.
    Ivan yates return and co host drive with Chris.

Blockbuster radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Too early for any major changes in NT figures yet surely, they'll still be carrying two books from last year to prop them up. I wouldn't expect many changes this book for anyone really, we need to wait to see what happens with Today FM and NT over the course of a year maybe.

On a local Dublin level, 104 to still be number one as per usual, 98 to continue on an upward curve, Spin to drop off slightly. I'm a little worried for Q102, can see the station going into freefall really? Maybe just me but it's offering me nothing anymore, except some music in the morning, and the talk show is rubbish.

4FM to drop in Dublin again but probably hold listeners across the other regions, Nova to confuse everyone by making up their own numbers because they count the commuter areas now? 2FM, who cares anymore, if it wasn't our money propping it up...

Probably see the overall listenrship drop a little too, thats a growing trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

KReid wrote: »
    Too early for any major changes in NT figures yet surely, they'll still be carrying two books from last year to prop them up. I wouldn't expect many changes this book for anyone really, we need to wait to see what happens with Today FM and NT over the course of a year maybe.

On a local Dublin level, 104 to still be number one as per usual, 98 to continue on an upward curve, Spin to drop off slightly. I'm a little worried for Q102, can see the station going into freefall really? Maybe just me but it's offering me nothing anymore, except some music in the morning, and the talk show is rubbish.

4FM to drop in Dublin again but probably hold listeners across the other regions, Nova to confuse everyone by making up their own numbers because they count the commuter areas now? 2FM, who cares anymore, if it wasn't our money propping it up...

Probably see the overall listenrship drop a little too, thats a growing trend.

K Reid, you can't make up numbers for Nova or anyone else . The JNLRs are commissioned by the BAI - end of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

K Reid, you can't make up numbers for Nova or anyone else . The JNLRs are commissioned by the BAI - end of

There have been comparisons made by various people between the Dublin+Commuter figures that Nova and 4FM are allowed report and Dublin-only figures of other stations before. This is an invalid comparison.

L1011 wrote: »
    There have been comparisons made by various people between the Dublin+Commuter figures that Nova and 4FM are allowed report and Dublin-only figures of other stations before. This is an invalid comparison.

Nova doesn't report on anything , the research is conducted by the BAI. As for what spin Nova might put on it , they're no different than any other station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

They all put spin on the figures..They spin them even more in Tipp in my opinion..

Nova doesn't report on anything , the research is conducted by the BAI. As for what spin Nova might put on it , they're no different than any other station

Ah I know, just always seems a bit confusing when their figures come out compared to others.

Are the results on Wednesday or Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭smallfridge

They are out tomorrow for the stations but embargoed until Thursday 12pm.

I think Red Fm Will do well this book again.

Having said that I think 96fm will gain some back.

Today fm will lose out in Cork. The last book Red had the No.1 chat show. 96 may have spun No,1 with females 35-55 etc but the numbers didnt lie. I get the impression that all the social media saying No.1 9-12 from 96 was face saving with Cork public.

In Dublin I feel FM104 is quite stale sounding across the day and will be down.

Beat do well again. Sounding great and they're just solid all day.

thats my prediction anyway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 roysh1

How much of a listenership do 4FM have in Dublin? Some people have said that it's relatively small but Niall Boylan seems to have quite a large audience, possibly bigger than Adrian Kennedy's..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Reckon FM104 will decline further...98FM may continue to uptick though I think Dublin Talks has reached its peak...don't see it gaining much.

2FM to possibly stabilise with one, or possibly two shows that are on thin ice to continue a slide.

TodayFM to have another mixed bag but down overall with Matt Cooper to recover some listeners and Dempsey to shed a few. I reckon D&D's lunchtime show will have ended with more losses and for Anton to have stabilised. I can already see the statement heralding the new era and the results were expected etc.

Newstalk's figures to absolutely tank apart from Moncrieff and Off The Ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

L1011 wrote: »

They are allowed to report only the figure in their Franchise. FM104 has a franchise for Dublin and Nova has the Dublin Commuter franchise - apples and oranges - with an overlap.

"The embargo on all JNLR communications has been extended to Thursday 2nd February 2017 at 12 noon. Please note, this embargo applies to all communications, including B 2 B communications, and to all media across broadcast, print and on - line (including Twitter and Facebook)"

That's according to the JNLR - I'd expect 'slippage' on that on somewhere or other.

Anyone know why the reader was extended only today?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

This is a new thing isnt it?

A one off or like this from now on I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Overall gains for Newstalk?!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Oh FFS. Ferg Darcy is up listeners and so is Breakfast Republic.
    It's a dark day for Irish Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy that RTE one has 18 of the top 20 radio shows!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

IRE60 wrote: »
    JNLR 2016Q4 Nothing amazing, few swings and roundabouts. Few changes in the Capital, again nothing dramatic.

Hmmmmm.

Can't really see any merit in the frequency this survey now appears.
    Any changes are usually pretty minimal.

Apart from some fresh data for advertisers, they only put pressure on presenters and make station bosses jittery.
    Don't get me started on the blatant and sometimes dishonest spinning of the numbers by all stations-all a bit grubby at this stage.

I think a couple of times a year should be adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Any figures for Off The Ball? It's been a couple of years since they were made public. It would be interesting to know if Colm Parkinson leaving and kevin kilbane joining has made any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think a couple of times a year should be adequate.

Its already only 4 times a year. RAJAR gives intermediate figures monthly.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.

Can't really see any merit in the frequency this survey now appears.
    Any changes are usually pretty minimal.

Apart from some fresh data for advertisers

That's the only reason they exist i.e., determining the price of radio ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gimmick wrote: »
    Overall gains for Newstalk?!??

Breakfast is down 50,000 year on year (granted, 1 hour less). Pat is up 14,000 with an hour extra. Hook is up on Healy's figures with an hour extra. Moncrieff is only down 1,000 with almost 2 hours gone from his show (which is bloody impressive), and Drive is down by 15,000, 8,000 of which came in this book alone.

Far too early for anyone at NT to be cracking open champagne IMO. Pat isn't setting the world alight, Drive is in trouble, and the Breakfast figures could just be a bounce back.

We won't get a good picture of NT until Q3.

=====

Radio 1
    D'Arcy down, that'll make his thread here immensely happy. Though Liveline has lost 8,000 so it's not inconceivable that that explains D'Arcy's book on book dip, yet year on year he's down 2,000 with the same lead in figures. Still, 2,000 wouldn't exactly be something to panic about.

2FM
    I think 2FM is going to prove everyone on this forum (including me) wrong long-term. I really expected more losses, but book on book the signs are encouraging, even if they're still way down on loast year.

Today FM
    Dempsey being down 20,000 year on year is the big danger sign here. When he was pulling in 187,000 listeners he was safe and stable, but one would have to question whether he's got much time left in that slot if figures are dropping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102924-jnlr-2016q4-top-30-and-station-programmes

absolute collapse in today fm at lunchtime

down almost 50k listeners for D&D at 12. the next ones are going to be more interesting. will people keep switching off when D&D start at 9, or was it just a midday thing that no presenter will save?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Interesting that 2FM are putting a lot of their improvements down to things like the 2FM Christmas Ball and Jenny Greene performing at Electric Picnic - although Breakfast Republic is the only show that's gone up by good numbers - I put it more down to the fact that people are getting sick to death of the very stale Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show and have switched over, and that will continue!

Head of RTÉ 2FM, Dan Healy said of Today FM; ""The station that was Today FM is no longer Today FM, they’re becoming Comedy Central". which I thought was a good description. Unfortunately, it's not actually good comedy!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Interesting that 2FM are putting a lot of their improvements down to things like the 2FM Christmas Ball and Jenny Greene performing at Electric Picnic - although Breakfast Republic is the only show that's gone up by good numbers - I put it more down to the fact that people are getting sick to death of the very stale Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show and have switched over, and that will continue!

Head of RTÉ 2FM, Dan Healy said of Today FM; ""The station that was Today FM is no longer Today FM, they’re becoming Comedy Central". which I thought was a good description. Unfortunately, it's not actually good comedy!

As much as I despise Dan Healy he has summed it up perfectly there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

[QUOTE=wnolan1992[/QUOTE/]-®

2FM
    I think 2FM is going to prove everyone on this forum (including me) wrong long-term. I really expected more losses, but book on book the signs are encouraging, ...[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding ? Apart from breakfast republic everything else is stuck on the floor, +1k and +2k here and there is complete margin of error stuff and then there is the bigger issue of the fact that the station is highly unlikely to ever again make a profit for RTE to justify it's existence

Are you kidding ? Apart from breakfast republic everything else is stuck on the floor, +1k and +2k here and there is complete margin of error stuff and then there is the bigger issue of the station highly unlikely to ever again make a profit for RTE to justify it's existence

Maybe nothing will come of it, but let's face it, this the first time in ages they've shown any sort of improvement across the board, so it's possible they might kick on against a struggling Today FM. Momentum and generally more positive outlook on the station might help them, I dunno.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Breakfast is down 50,000 year on year (granted, 1 hour less). Pat is up 14,000 with an hour extra. Hook is up on Healy's figures with an hour extra. Moncrieff is only down 1,000 with almost 2 hours gone from his show (which is bloody impressive)

Moncrieff was at 120,000, so he's down 55,000. Losing the hour has absolutely screwed him.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe nothing will come of it, but let's face it, this the first time in ages they've shown any sort of improvement across the board, so it's possible they might kick on against a struggling Today FM. Momentum and generally more positive outlook on the station might help them, I dunno.

Completely agree wnolan1992. You can argue that yes there is no massive improvement but it has stabilised and now they have a realistic base they can work from. I am surprised at the Breakfast Republic figures tbh...maybe just not my kind of show I guess. Nicky Byrne has to be in trouble though...the contract they have him on would be quite large and one would assume its up for renewal soon enough...not justifying his place on the schedule especially looking at year on year. Then Game On...the numbers are appalling for that hovering around the 20,000 mark...not good enough. Interesting from Dan Healy speaking on Today FM “We’re going to have a battle royale, because the station that was Today FM is no longer Today FM, they’re becoming Comedy Central. From 9pm to really 4pm you’ve got three versions of comedy and all very talented people, so we are now looking at a different thing.”

Surprised at Newstalk but think next book will see a more realistic view perhaps. Drive is clearly tanking though so that must be a worry. Would like to see the OTB figures.

FM104 continuing to fall and 98FM has given back some of its gains with Spin falling across the board.

Today FM...ouch. D&D starting from a low base of loyal listeners for their new slot.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Moncrieff was at 120,000, so he's down 55,000. Losing the hour has absolutely screwed him.

Feck, you're right. Sorry, I misread the table for him and Hook I think. :o

Laois_Man wrote: »

Is this for real, Dan Healy is slagging off another station ? Glasshouses and stones come to mind 😳

2fm remains pretty abysmal , Today Fm is looking clueless and paying inevitable price for some pretty awful decisions and Dempsey's show, in current format is cringeworthy in my view .

Somebody asked earlier why 18 of top 20 shows are on Radio 1 , I believe it's called diversity . After all what is the difference between today, 2fm , spin etc ? Not a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

IUA14 wrote: »

FM104 continuing to fall and 98FM has given back some of its gains with Spin falling across the board.

All are very music driven stations. Is there any obvious other station they've gone to from looking at the figures or have they all lost them to Spotify and other streaming platforms I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Any figures on 96fm and Red Fm in Cork guys. As usual born of them are claiming the win.

• Advertisement

Any figures on 96fm and Red Fm in Cork guys. As usual born of them are claiming the win.

"The two incumbent Cork stations dropped marginally book on book falling 3,000 each since the last survey. Red FM is still the largest station with 117,000 listeners but that’s down 16,000 in last year. 96FM in second place at 106,000 also saw a fall from the previous year of 7,000."

If 96 are claiming to be number 1 could they be combining the C103 numbers in or something?

More Tea wrote: »
    All are very music driven stations. Is there any obvious other station they've gone to from looking at the figures or have they all lost them to Spotify and other streaming platforms I wonder.

Possibly to Q102 for some older listeners? Or to Radio 1 maybe.

Advertisement