Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make LIDL bread at home?

Options
  • 28-01-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

I really like the multiseed grain bread they have at Lidl in their bakery section. It costs €2.00.
    Is it possible to make it at home?
    Do i need sourdough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

I really like the multiseed grain bread they have at Lidl in their bakery section. It costs €2.00.
    Is it possible to make it at home?
    Do i need sourdough?
    Its sourdough bread so yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Ok. Do i need bread mixer machine?
    annie.t wrote: »
    Its sourdough bread so yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you're doing this to save money, my guess is that it'll cost you more to make it at home.

That ends the story here :)
    Thanks
    If you're doing this to save money, my guess is that it'll cost you more to make it at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a lovely sourdough loaf last year, my brother gave me some of his starter and the process of making the loaf took almost three days. It tasted lovely, but wasn't worth the trouble when you can buy great sourdough loaves in lots of shops now. I don't think I'd bother again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The cost is basically why I stopped making bread when I came to Ireland. Previously I had lived nine years on a small offshore island and never had shop bread the whole while.. Had a gas oven then, and baked once a fortnight, half white and half brown and froze it in suitable portions.

Had a breadmaker at one stage too but when it died ( day before the warranty ran out ;) I did not bother.

Now I can rarely eat bread so that is fine...

But yes, the cost.

Great story. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure about the 'too expensive' bit myself. A lot will depend on the flour used as this is by far the most expensive ingredient, but for example a 1.5kg bag of Tesco Strong Brown flour costs €1.85, so for a Panasonic breadmaker 'large' loaf (750g) you'll need 500g, or 62 cent. The cost of the rest of the ingredients is trivial, 1.5 tsp sugar, 1tsp salt, 2tbsp oil or 25g butter, water and 1tsp yeast, maybe bringing it up to 70 cent total, although that's being generous. So the only other variable cost is electricity, I can't remember how much it uses, not a whole lot though as I remember doing a costing exercise a few years ago with a power meter attached when I got my breadmaker, and I came out at a total cost including ingredients of less than €1 for a large wholemeal loaf.

Of course there's the initial cost of the breadmaker to take into consideration, but our now ancient SD-2503 has been going strong since 2008 now, with nothing more than a replacement thermostat, so I think I've got my money's worth by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I still use my breadmaker a lot and it's definitely cheaper than buying a decent loaf of bread. I like to make bread in the oven too, but I think that making sourdough is more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Graces7 wrote: »
    The cost is basically why I stopped making bread when I came to Ireland. Previously I had lived nine years on a small offshore island and never had shop bread the whole while.. Had a gas oven then, and baked once a fortnight, half white and half brown and froze it in suitable portions.

Had a breadmaker at one stage too but when it died ( day before the warranty ran out ;) I did not bother.

Now I can rarely eat bread so that is fine...

But yes, the cost.
    Great story. Thanks

I suspect you are being sarcastic masterboy123, which is fine of course. I just wanted to mention that I actually enjoyed Graces tale of her breadmaking experience. It has left me with several questions, perhaps they should be left unanswered which kind of makes the story great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the 'too expensive' bit myself. A lot will depend on the flour used as this is by far the most expensive ingredient, but for example a 1.5kg bag of Tesco Strong Brown flour costs €1.85, so for a Panasonic breadmaker 'large' loaf (750g) you'll need 500g, or 62 cent. The cost of the rest of the ingredients is trivial, 1.5 tsp sugar, 1tsp salt, 2tbsp oil or 25g butter, water and 1tsp yeast, maybe bringing it up to 70 cent total, although that's being generous. So the only other variable cost is electricity, I can't remember how much it uses, not a whole lot though as I remember doing a costing exercise a few years ago with a power meter attached when I got my breadmaker, and I came out at a total cost including ingredients of less than €1 for a large wholemeal loaf.

Of course there's the initial cost of the breadmaker to take into consideration, but our now ancient SD-2503 has been going strong since 2008 now, with nothing more than a replacement thermostat, so I think I've got my money's worth by now.

Those Lidl loaves are huge - I'd say more than twice the weight of anything I've ever seen come from a bread maker. Also, the loaf that the op is talking about would have lots of seeds too.

While I've had lots of perfectly nice bread from breadmakers, I've never had a really good bread from one.

Those Lidl loaves are huge - I'd say more than twice the weight of anything I've ever seen come from a bread maker. Also, the loaf that the op is talking about would have lots of seeds too.

While I've had lots of perfectly nice bread from breadmakers, I've never had a really good bread from one.

That bread is what we call "squirrel bread" !

FunGoose wrote: »
    I suspect you are being sarcastic masterboy123, which is fine of course. I just wanted to mention that I actually enjoyed Graces tale of her breadmaking experience. It has left me with several questions, perhaps they should be left unanswered which kind of makes the story great.

Thanks; I never notice undertones!

My real point was probably that breadmaking is different for different folk and maybe too as with me at different stages of life.

On the island, sure shop bread would come over on the boat, ie the evening boat, but a hassle then getting it the following day.

Also we could get sacks of eg flours, at keen prices

For me, the breadmaking was all of a part. The kneading by hand, the watching the magical rising, and so on.

Somehow just putting ingredients into a machine was not the same.. lost the soul of it..
    When I came to Ireland, there were supermarkets within easy reach so the need faded. Baked for a while then other things took over...

Ironically, so did health issues so I cannot eat seeded bread etc any more.

Phases!

If i were to bake bread now, it would be by hand.

Alun wrote: »

Agree but never liked using a breadmaker. If i had a gas oven would be tempted. Different people, different ways is all...eating now soft crumbly burger buns!

Advertisement