Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly are hunter trials

Options
  • 28-01-2017 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all!

I have an opportunity to take part in Athlone Hunter trials in March, however, I've never been to one before or know anyone who has and have no idea what they're actually about, apart from seeing youtube videos of them.

I didn't grow up in Ireland (I'm from Finland where hunter trials are not a "thing"), and I'm really struggling to find any Wikipedia type straight up explanation of this online. I've only started doing cross country in the last few years, and not very regularly, just did my first drag hunt recently. I would say I'm generally an intermediate to advanced rider, but in crosscountry/hunting more like beginner to intermediate.

What I mostly would like to know, is how good do you have to be to take part in Hunter Trials, what are the minimum requirements and what do the different classes mean: pre-novice, novice, single, pairs? What are the differences? And what to expect if I do take part?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Sini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you've done cross country and have hunted, you should be okay. If you're worried, start with pre-novice.
    The classes are basically the heights/complexity. Pre-novice is the lowest, Open the highest. There's a few videos from Athlone Hunter Trials last year if you want a judge of fence heights. Single and pairs are what's written on the tin; if you're doing the course by yourself, or with another person. It's pretty much like a cross country course, so I would ride it like one until you get familiar with it. Some hunter trials are fastest clear wins, others go by the clear round closest to an optimum time.

Just leave with plenty of time to get there, sign in, get your number, walk/learn the course and warm up before the start. Although they usually aren't strict on dress code, it's better to dress tidy and have your tack in good condition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

sup_dude wrote: »
    ......Although they usually aren't strict on dress code, it's better to dress tidy and have your tack in good condition.

You need to wear a skull riding hat for hunter trials and if you don't have one, they can be borrowed / hired for the day. They are good fun and there's usually a good turnout for it. You can use the course any day you want up to a few days before the trials if you want to have a look around.

This is part of the course (I can't upload any more pics as flickr is blocked here at work)
    407970.jpg
    407971.jpg
    407972.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As others have already said, hunter trials are essentially cross country competitions where usually the fastest clear round wins, although some do run as competitions to optimum time (a time is set for the course and whoever is clear and closest to it wins).

There are various levels, from open (advanced/highest level) to novice and sometimes pre novice, so you can choose novice/pre novice to start.

Often the course is open to walk from the night before, so you can go and walk it and see what you think. If you're not happy, you don't have to go. Or on the day you can leave out a fence you're not happy with. Obviously you will be eliminated as a result, but it is an option and I've seen it done when I was fence steward/scorer. It is an option that you might like to bear in mind if there's just one or two fences you're not happy with.

There are also pairs competitions, so if you know someone who has experience of hunter trial competitions, you might like to ask if they'd be interested in going in a pairs competition with you, but do remind them that you are a novice and would be taking it easy.

With regards to safety equipment: you will need to wear a skull cap that adheres to current safety standards as wee as a back protector. Some places also require you to wear a stock (safety reasons rather than anything to do with hunting attire). Ensure your tack is in good condition and stirrup leathers, girths, birth buckles, reins, bridle, etc. are ok and not badly worn/could break.

Overall, hunter trials are a really enjoyable day out and do tend to cater for everyone. Enjoy! Also, as the one you're interested in isn't until March, you could always go on foot to one before then to get a little insight into what they're like.

Advertisement