Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes app dissapeared :(

Options
  • 28-01-2017 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I have an iphone 6, version 10.2. A week or two ago I pulled my iphone out of my pocket and noticed that the apps were buzzing and that I was missing some off my home screen. I thought I had reinstalled them all only to discover today that my notes app is missing. It's no point restoring from the backup on the iphone as the last backup was yesterday. I'm pretty sure i have an old backup saved on my computer - not sure when from though. Can I restore from that? Obviously I'll then need to reinstall any apps I have downloaded since then and I'll lose photos i presume? Or is there another way to get my notes app back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

If you search for notes in the App Store is it there?

In settings->General-> restrictions, is notes there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

KingJamsie wrote: »
    If you search for notes in the App Store is it there?

Yes, it's there, with the little cloud for downloading. If I do that, will I get back the notes I had?
    In settings->General-> restrictions, is notes there?
    No

mel.b wrote: »
    Yes, it's there, with the little cloud for downloading. If I do that, will I get back the notes I had?

No

If they were stored on iPhone, no.

If the data is coming from iCloud / an e-mail account yes there is a chance

If they were stored on iPhone, no.

If the data is coming from iCloud / an e-mail account yes there is a chance

I'd say they were just stored on the iphone. I'm presuming there's no way to check? So my best option is to restore from the backup on my pc?

Using a PC, log into iCloud.com, any notes there?

AppleCare ire 1800 804 062.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

There's a good chance the notes are on iCloud. That's the default.

Using a PC, log into iCloud.com, any notes there?

AppleCare ire 1800 804 062.

Doesn't look like it it. It says " iCloud email needed. To use icloud notes create a new email address by turning on notes in your iCloud settings using iOS or MacOS"

Edit: just turned on notes in icloud settings. Logged back into icloud.com and there is nothing in the notes there :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you have an IMAP email address the notes might have been synced with that.

Also have a look in the recently deleted folder in the Notes app and on iCloud.com. But it sounds like you weren’t using iCloud to sync notes. In future always make sure everything in iCloud settings is enabled.

If you look in iTunes preferences > Devices you will see a list of backups and when they were done. Right-click and archive any backup that you think might have the notes in case the get overwritten. There are apps for extracting data from backups without having to restore.

If you have an IMAP email address the notes might have been synced with that.

My email address is just a gmail one - does that count?
    If you look in iTunes preferences > Devices you will see a list of backups and when they were done. Right-click and archive any backup that you think might have the notes in case the get overwritten. There are apps for extracting data from backups without having to restore.

I can see the last backup to my pc was mid 2016. If i download the app again to my phone, can I use one of the apps to extract the data (pc is windows 10 if that matters)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mel.b wrote: »
    My email address is just a gmail one - does that count?
    Yeah, if you go into Settings > Notes > Accounts > Gmail you can see if note syncing is enabled or not.
    I can see the last backup to my pc was mid 2016. If i download the app again to my phone, can I use one of the apps to extract the data (pc is windows 10 if that matters)?

Not sure what you mean. An extraction program would be able to get the data out of the iTunes backup file on your pc. I’ve never done this myself, though, so I can’t recommend a particular app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement