Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri 795 Carlow Sprint Triathlon 14.05.2017

Options
  • 28-01-2017 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

This is open for entries now on TI. Love doing the bike, its a gamble going up that hill on whether you're going to burn all your matches before you reach the turnaround.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    This is open for entries now on TI. Love doing the bike, its a gamble going up that hill on whether you're going to burn all your matches before you reach the turnaround.

How much was it to enter? I read it was to be €65. A bit on the steep side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

€60. Yeah steep enough but very well run to be fair. Really enjoyable race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hopefully having it a week earlier won't affect the swim. Great race, one of the best around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

€60 for a sprint? No, thank you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

€60 for a sprint? No, thank you...

I agree but I caved. Can stomach it a litttle better than hell of the west I can go down race and get back in one day especially with a late start time.

Anyone want to buy a Joma Champion 3 leisure wear top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I agree but I caved. Can stomach it a litttle better than hell of the west I can go down race and get back in one day especially with a late start time.

Anyone want to buy a Joma Champion 3 leisure wear top?

That's what put me off. Surely you should get a choice to pay a normal without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

a Joma Champion 3 leisure wear top?

Is that what the "free" tshirt is? Crazy that prices are going up to cover these extras. Its a good race, good club, good organisation; no need for these costly bells and whistles.

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Is that what the "free" tshirt is? Crazy that prices are going up to cover these extras. Its a good race, good club, good organisation; no need for these costly bells and whistles.

Ok their website

"Quality Joma Champion 3 leisure wear top being provided this year (instead of goodie bag with T – shirt), hence entry for the race has increased slightly to €60."

Googled Joma champion 3 and they cost less then €20 so even cheaper on bulk I'm sure. Rather just pay €40 and race or maybe a €5 tshirt

Partly laziness I reckon in not having to look for sponsors for the goodies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Partly laziness I reckon in not having to look for sponsors for the goodies

You reckon wrong.

griffin100 wrote: »
    You reckon wrong.

I may be. I just thinkbtheborice of triathlons is getting out of hand. I have been involved in organising races myself so I know the work that goes in. And this is a great race that I will be doing I just hate seeing the prices rise it's going to price people out of doing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm involved in organising this race but I wasn't involved in setting the price. I personally think it's a mistake to push the price up to €60 in order to give a better top, I would have kept the price at last years level and given out t shirts again, but it wasn't my call.

Believe it or not the entire price increase will go towards the cost of this top and the club will be at the same benefit it would have been with with the cheaper option. To some degree I understand why it was done. After the first couple of hundred people register due to this being an NS race you still need to attract another 300 competitors to make the race worthwhile for the club to run. Whether or not you like it a big chunk of this number will be first timers and occasional racers, and you need something to attract them. Shiny things attract these people.

Time will tell if we sell out. For those of you that do race all things going to plan I'll be the stressed out 'Head Transition' Marshall on the day so say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I entered but tbh I was shocked it was so expensive. I entered 2 other ns races, neanagh was 40 and derry is 50.
    To me, price would turn more away than thoes shiney goods will draw.
    Im just use to race entry being in and about 40€.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This would be a very local race for me and I was all set till I saw the price. I have no interest in a top and the usual cheapo technical t shirts associated with races were grand. To be honest if it was a decent backpack (not one of those cheap plastic school bags) it'd be more useful.

I understand the reasoning by griffin above and to be honest I'm still in two minds and want to support and keep the race local.

I'll probably put entry on the long finger which usually mean the race will sell out before I reach the end of said finger.

I'll be interested how the water levels go we've had a very mild winter so I'm expecting a very wet spring/summer. Is the swim still up and back?

Either way good luck to all at Racing 795 and hopefully it's a successful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Carlow is no Kilkee.
    * No sea swim
    * No windy bike
    * No huge hill to run up
    * No history
    * It's in Carlow

Delusions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

tunney wrote: »
    Carlow is no Kilkee.
    * No sea swim
    * No windy bike
    * No huge hill to run up
    * No history
    * It's in Carlow

Delusions.....

*no sea swim....ur geography knowledge is top class
    *no windy bike....we may get met eireann to employ you for ur long range forcasting
    *its in carlow.....carlows a great spot 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tunney wrote: »
    Carlow is no Kilkee.
    * No sea swim - which means the swim will seldom be cancelled
    * No windy bike - Clearly you've never cycled up Killeshin on a windy day
    * No huge hill to run up - that's surely positive
    * No history - 3rd year better than some
    * It's in Carlow - It's partially in Laois also :eek:

Delusions.....

We're a nation of knockers lads. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 willyS81

i think people should of got the option to get hoodie top id say most people would of chose not to take it. after a few years doing races you get fed up with t-shirts taking up space in the wardrobe. i hear alot of club members giving out about the price increase i have done Carlow the last 2 years but wont be this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Okay here's my bit.
    I got the wife to enter me yesterday as I'd no internet access, when she later told me the price I thought she'd made a mistake and entered me twice !!!!
    I've giving bags of these t ****s and the likes away to charity collections the last few year and I've still got a wardrobe full.
    I've done this race for the last two year and really like it , it's local to me and I like to support club run events but lads come on €60 for a sprint is just criminal.
    I can assure I won't be entering it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm involved in organising this race but I wasn't involved in setting the price. I personally think it's a mistake to push the price up to €60 in order to give a better top, I would have kept the price at last years level and given out t shirts again, but it wasn't my call.

Believe it or not the entire price increase will go towards the cost of this top and the club will be at the same benefit it would have been with with the cheaper option. To some degree I understand why it was done. After the first couple of hundred people register due to this being an NS race you still need to attract another 300 competitors to make the race worthwhile for the club to run. Whether or not you like it a big chunk of this number will be first timers and occasional racers, and you need something to attract them. Shiny things attract these people.

Time will tell if we sell out. For those of you that do race all things going to plan I'll be the stressed out 'Head Transition' Marshall on the day so say hello.

Carlow has easily sold out in the last two years without the free expensive top. Mad committee call in my opinion.

Entered regardless. Great course and really well organised. Like kilkee worth the premium over other triathlons due to show that is put on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 willyS81

Okay here's my bit.
    I got the wife to enter me yesterday as I'd no internet access, when she later told me the price I thought she'd made a mistake and entered me twice !!!!
    I've giving bags of these t ****s and the likes away to charity collections the last few year and I've still got a wardrobe full.
    I've done this race for the last two year and really like it , it's local to me and I like to support club run events but lads come on €60 for a sprint is just criminal.
    I can assure I won't be entering it next year.

id say alot of people wont be doing it next year only the few looking for NS points. maybe the committee will cop on next year and bin the cheap hoodie and reduce the price. great little race shame its over priced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

The first 250 places have sold out... next lot open in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

pot p wrote: »
    *no windy bike....we may get met eireann to employ you for ur long range forcasting
    It was my first open water tri last year - wasn't the out of the bike into a headwind (as well as uphill) last year?

I'm a sucker for T shirt, but think it is steep. It's kind of a spend on the race entry, or spend on fuel and/or time and possibly an overnight. I could save €20 on entry for nenagh, and then pay for fuel and an overnight (including the biggest cost of all, an overnight pass from swmbo!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curlywurlyash

Do you know if the only way to get tickets is through the cancellation list? X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Also be aware the price increase does also cover my fee................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It was my first open water tri last year - wasn't the out of the bike into a headwind (as well as uphill) last year?

I was tryin to be sarcastic, obviously didnt work ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done to racing795, another great race. I know it's not in their control but if that bike course was resurfaced that could really be one of the best races around, some of the surface on the downhill is pretty bad. Well organised and a great atmosphere as usual. I wasn't too keen on the extra 10 euro for the sports top, but the picture they put up on their site of the top doesn't do it justice, it's actually really nice. I don't mind paying a tenner for something like that.

Even with the race being a week earlier this year the water was grand, not too cold at all. If you could sort out the awful cross wind on the bike too that would be great! Seriously though well done, not an awful lot of races on the east coast and I know from talking to people in my club and their families that came along they all enjoyed it. Having the whole transition area in the park with the playground and few other bits and pieces there is great and really helps build an atmosphere around the race.

I'd echo that on the top, and very grateful for it when the temp dropped/ chills set in afterwards.

Found the swim really challenging this year - I think my forced time away from the pool has had a bigger impact than I'd hoped, so playing catch up now for the year, even though that hadn't really showed in the open water sessions I'd done up to now.

Heard there was a nasty enough crash in one of the later waves - no idea whether it was road/ wind or just collision, but hope everyone is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd echo that on the top, and very grateful for it when the temp dropped/ chills set in afterwards.

Found the swim really challenging this year - I think my forced time away from the pool has had a bigger impact than I'd hoped, so playing catch up now for the year, even though that hadn't really showed in the open water sessions I'd done up to now.

Heard there was a nasty enough crash in one of the later waves - no idea whether it was road/ wind or just collision, but hope everyone is ok!

I believe a cyclist broke their collar bone but is on the mend.

I should have some drone shots up later of the swim and exit

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

I really struggled with the swim this year after months of lessons and found it very disheartening, wetsuit didn't help as it's too snug so could hardly breath, had to open it all the way half way down swim course.

Did people think current was stronger this year compared to last?

Enjoyed the race, love the bike course just as you're getting tired it's time to go 50kph+ all the way home

• Advertisement

Nanoc wrote: »
    Did people think current was stronger this year compared to last?
    I found it a lot tougher than last year, and a few I know who did it last year did slower this year too. However, I've had a couple of months out of the pool this year due to ear infections, and definitely got my pacing wrong/ went out too hard, so couldn't guarantee it wasn't just me being worse!

Advertisement