Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri 795 Carlow Sprint Triathlon 14.05.2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I was down there watching all the swim waves and to be honest the number of people killing themselves swimming up the centre of the river at was ridiculous.

In their defence to some degree the rope had drifted way off centre and a lot of people were fit to drop reaching the turn point. I coaxed a few back in as you could see the lads on the downward swim gliding along.

It was a great set up down in the park but felt the crowd was way down on previous years. There didn't seem to be any advertising in the town this year with the exception of road closure signs. A few locals walking on the bank even passed comment that they had heard nothing about it.

Killeshin hill put up a fair challenge but if you think that cross wind was bad you should see when the wind is properly blowing.

Fair play to racing 795 and all involved it really is great to see in the town and I feel it has much better potential than Athy.

Hope to see you back in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't think the current was as bad as it has been in the past but when we should have had the current behind us we were swimming into the wind. I know lads in my club who have done more swimming this year were a fair bit slower than last year. I don't think we got the full benefit of a downstream swim, but it was the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

joey100 wrote: »
    I know lads in my club who have done more swimming this year were a fair bit slower than last year. I don't think we got the full benefit of a downstream swim, but it was the same for everyone.
    I did take comfort from the fact that my finishing position did improve even without the any improvement in the overall time. Yes, I am ignoring the fact that the field wasn't exactly the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was sick all week leading up to it so expected everything to be down but yes the swim was tougher this year, had a bit of difficulty at the turn around point in particular but that's part of the challenge.

Hill was tough but actually found it mentally far more challanging coming back down hill with the road surface and the wind. Couldn't let myself open it up as much as I did last year. Excellent run race and the change of registration location worked well.

I do agree it didnt seem as advertised as previous years, last year there were marshalls guiding people to parking all the way from the edge of town with signage, none of that this year.

Great race though and an excellent setup

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Couldn't agree more about the registration, last year was a disaster over an hour to register and breezed through this year.....with the bonus of proper toilets for the pre race poo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for the positive comments folks, always welcome.

Couple of issues arose this year we hadn't seen before but we coped and you learn something new every year. Good weather always helps and we were lucky again this year with the rain staying off until after the race was over (less than 24hrs earlier I had been standing in transition in torrential rain trying to work out how I was going to get 525 transition numbers onto wet scaffolding poles).

Swim was tougher this year, the flow was slight enough but the wind blowing over the direction of flow made it choppy. Some competitors also found it cold, especially in the later waves when the wind had picked up a bit.

The cyclist who fell didn't break her collarbone which was good news. I haven't heard anything yet on the cyclist who tried a flying mount only to go right over his bike and land on his back on the other side - I think his pride was more hurt than anything else.

We had 112 signed in marshals on the day plus kayakers, plus we had others helping out with set up on the Saturday who couldn't help out on Sunday. For a club with less than 50 paid up members that's a big ask. That's what makes this race run so smoothly, without these volunteers we can't make this race happen so big thanks to them.

That's 3 successful years I think it's safe to say as an NS race. Wounder if TI will give us NS for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well done Griffin and thanks to all the Marshalls for their time and effort.

I think I know the second biker you referenced unless there was more than one and he was swimming last night in the pool no bother so can be sure it was just his pride. Pretty sure it was their first triathlon so we have to learn these things.

Advertisement