Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2017 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mimi21

Just passed the sixteen week mark here. Baba measuring fine in the scans and all seems well so far which is a relief. Have the anomaly scan on the 22nd may and half thinking I will ask to be told gender at that stage. Although I'm fairly certain what I'm having based on how I have been feeling!!!!! My husband doesn't want to find out this time around so will have to keep it to myself!!!!!
    After that will have to have a glucose tolerance test. I have to say this time around I feel absolutely huge. I think I'm as big now as I was nearing the end with number two!! Maybe if I spent more time exercising and less time eating chocolate in the past year I wouldn't be like this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

Hi Gals,
    We are a very quiet group, there aren't too many of us!

I've been keeping quiet for a wee while as my anxiety is pretty bad and I don't want to be too negative on here. :(
    Booking appointment on Tuesday in Holles St. and have no idea what to expect!
    I really hope they do a wee scan, haven't seen baba since 9+4 so would be lovely to see him at 13+3 again...have told work and all the extended family so delighted I can actually talk about things with loads of people now.

Glad to see generally positive experiences with us all, it's nerve wracking stuff isn't it? Anyone doing anything nice for the weekend? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Scan went well today, baby bouncing like crazy...such a great feeling of relief and reassurance! Afterwards we went to Mothercare to pick up our first 'bits'...we've been too nervous to do it otherwise! No real plans for the weekend yet, toying with the idea of going to the Ideal Home show as there's definitely improvements we could do before October
    have told work and all the extended family so delighted I can actually talk about things with loads of people now.
    It's SO nice being able to talk about it openly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sha98

Hi, Im currently 14 weeks due 20th of october! I am registered with St.Lukes but from what ive heard and what im feeling i really want to move to The Waterford regional. Any advice on how to do this or is it even worth the trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

I'm hoping well get a bit more active in here once ppl have had the 12/20 weeks scans and things progress ☺ the group on my 1st was a god send... and still is...

• Advertisement

Woohoo Niece that's so exciting! I've been far too scared to pick up any bits yet, I can't wait to get the first few things :) Being able to talk about it has changed the entire experience it's lovely.

Shah98 unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of how to move hospitals, maybe call Waterford and ask them? The earlier the better really I suppose. Hope you're allowed!

I think I'll be more confident once I book in, the days are dragging it's so close and yet so far! I had read a few earlier threads when we started trying and some of them are amazing Blueberry, you can learn so much from others' experiences it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I have my first visit to the multiples clinic in The Coombe today. I'm kinda nervous about meeting the consultant and being told things I don't want to hear!

I'm 15 weeks today. It seems to be creeping by but I'm sure at a certain stage it'll start flying. I really want to start buying things but husband is making me wait till 20 weeks... mixture of nerves and not wanting loads of stuff around the apartment I think.

Good Luck nosietoes hope it's all good news xx

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

nosietoes wrote: »
    I have my first visit to the multiples clinic in The Coombe today. I'm kinda nervous about meeting the consultant and being told things I don't want to hear!

I'm 15 weeks today. It seems to be creeping by but I'm sure at a certain stage it'll start flying. I really want to start buying things but husband is making me wait till 20 weeks... mixture of nerves and not wanting loads of stuff around the apartment I think.

Good luck...

My husband was the same on our first - the first thing we bought was a mix key mouse vest in NYC when I was 6 months pregnant... I was just nerves I think - that something might go wrong and that it would make it all more real! It's exciting when you do start though.... plus if I'd have started earlier I probably would have bought a lot more crap that we didn't need...... you get SO much in presents.... I couldn't believe how generous people were.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

fifib wrote: »
    hi all, due 15th october with baba #2. my daughter will be 2.5 when her brother/sister arrives. were super excited :) 
    for my last pregancy i cant remember which site mrs2b or something they set up a fb group and its a god send...we still converse and ask questions as were all in same boat..lately its about potty training and the climbing out of cots etc lol there are a few groups on fb for october 2017 babies but mostly american so I was going to create a group - October 2017 mammies - thought itd be nice to talk to the irish mammies
    if anyone is interested in joining - just PM your name to me so i can add you and maybe just tell me what your profile pic is so I know i have the right person :)

Hi fifib - we also had a fb group which came from this forum for my little one - shell be 2 in June and the fb is great..... this group is very quite.... but I know we waiting til a little later in pregnancy to start the fb group... so we "knew" each other a little better....
    OK cool. well i added a secret group on FB its called October 2017 Mammies if anyone would like to join it now. Theres 2 of us from here currently on it.
    Hope everyone is well. I had some bleeding last week so ended up getting checked out in the hospital. all is fine thank god. had same between 5 and 8 weeks. theyre not sure why but get a thorough exam and scan each time it happens so its great to know everything is going good and I shouldnt be worrying :)

• Advertisement

hi all, due 15th october with baba #2. my daughter will be 2.5 when her brother/sister arrives. were super excited :) 
    for my last pregancy i cant remember which site mrs2b or something they set up a fb group and its a god send...we still converse and ask questions as were all in same boat..lately its about potty training and the climbing out of cots etc lol there are a few groups on fb for october 2017 babies but mostly american so I was going to create a group - October 2017 mammies - thought itd be nice to talk to the irish mammies
    if anyone is interested in joining - just PM your name to me so i can add you and maybe just tell me what your profile pic is so I know i have the right person :)

Hi fifib - we also had a fb group which came from this forum for my little one - shell be 2 in June and the fb is great..... this group is very quite.... but I know we waiting til a little later in pregnancy to start the fb group... so we "knew" each other a little better....
    OK cool. well i added a secret group on FB its called October 2017 Mammies if anyone would like to join it now. Theres 2 of us from here currently on it.
    Hope everyone is well. I had some bleeding last week so ended up getting checked out in the hospital. all is fine thank god. had same between 5 and 8 weeks. theyre not sure why but get a thorough exam and scan each time it happens so its great to know everything is going good and I shouldnt be worrying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

The bleeding is stressful when it happens. I had it fairly consistently for the until 14 weeks and it's thankfully completely disappeared along with the intense morning sickness I'd been having. I didn't realise it was so common until I started talking to people and reading up.

All went well - I'm all healthy. Saw the briefest glimpse of babies as she checked their heartbeat - one was wiggling about, and the other one had its back to us.

I had all the things I didn't want to hear confirmed to me. I have to get an epidural, and will get induced at 38 weeks if babies have made their own way out. Really hate the idea of having babies lying in a bed on my back - seems so unnatural but meh I can't control the fact that we're having twins.

I'm trying hard to not buy any clothes nearly at all because of the present issue - though I hope ppl give me more babygros than outfits... (can you tell I don't like giving up control :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I'm 14 weeks due on October 21st. High risk so hopefully all will be ok. Had 12 week scan which showed baby very active with its little legs and arms flying around the place. Had the Harmony test done which tests for Down, Edward and Pattau syndrome. That came back as low risk and found out the gender of the baby! It was what I thought it was! I've been very lucky with only nausea from week 7 to week 9. Was perfect then so thought I was well out of the woods. Now I have started getting sick after I go to bed at night which is a disaster as no sleep and really weak the following day. Seeing doc tomorrow as also have a pain in my right side but from what I'm reading that's just ligament pain. Anyone else get sick at night time?

angeline wrote: »
    . Anyone else get sick at night time?

I haven't got sick at all - I am very very lucky but I do tend to feel queasier in the evening than at any other time of day. I hope the dr puts your mind at ease tomorrow.

nosietoes wrote: »
    I haven't got sick at all - I am very very lucky but I do tend to feel queasier in the evening than at any other time of day. I hope the dr puts your mind at ease tomorrow.

Yeah will be interested to hear what he says. Beginning to wonder if it's just a tummy bug which would be great as was having an easy time until Sat night. Plus I'm not sure you'd feel this weak with preg related sickness. But all this is new to me as it's my first!!

havent really been sick either or with my first baby, bit nauseous in evenings but last week i felt awful and was sick a few days. all gone again this week tho thank god
    I'm high risk pregnancy also as have graves disease. was diagnosed after my last pregnancy. had blood test last week to see if baby will have it too. find out this week hopefully, fingers crossed its negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Hope today goes well for you Juicyduckie :)

Good news on the Harmony test Angeline! I'm having mine done on Thursday....always get a little nervous before the appointments. Having a good bit of ligament pain which can be quite uncomfortable, I'm not sick at night time but like nosietoes, feel quite queasy in the evenings. Hope doc visit reassures you

Well, I was at doctor today and delighted that she said it was highly unlikely to be pregnant related sickness at this stage. Said there was a vomiting and gastro bug going around and that was what it was. Relieved to hear that so I won't be getting sick every night from here onwards!

Ladies, nothing could have prepared me for Holles St. Public Booking Clinic today. The staff were absolutely lovely but some of the other patients were so intimidating and just didn't know how to behave in a public hospital. I'm conscious I'm sounding so precious but I was imagining sharing a ward with some of these people and it made me...uncomfortable. :(

I also didn't realise I think I was supposed to tell them that I want Midwife led care at the appointment today...is it now too late to have this? ****e! :confused:

Apart from me being put off by some patients' weird behaviour everything was perfect, during the ultrasound bub was wriggling like crazy and waving at us. I still can't get over how marvellous the entire process is, I feel so honoured to be able to do this!

Hope you're all having a great week, glad to hear your sickness was just a bug Angeline and thank you for the luck Niece.

• Advertisement

Ladies, nothing could have prepared me for Holles St. Public Booking Clinic today. The staff were absolutely lovely but some of the other patients were so intimidating and just didn't know how to behave in a public hospital. I'm conscious I'm sounding so precious but I was imagining sharing a ward with some of these people and it made me...uncomfortable. :(

I also didn't realise I think I was supposed to tell them that I want Midwife led care at the appointment today...is it now too late to have this? ****e! :confused:

Apart from me being put off by some patients' weird behaviour everything was perfect, during the ultrasound bub was wriggling like crazy and waving at us. I still can't get over how marvellous the entire process is, I feel so honoured to be able to do this!

Hope you're all having a great week, glad to hear your sickness was just a bug Angeline and thank you for the luck Niece.

Hi there. Yeah, it was the same for me at the booking appointment. Despite me being in high risk clinic I could not get over the sheer numbers of the people I was sitting with in the waiting room and agreed, I would not want to be in a ward with a lot of them. While I'm public I'm going to use my health insurance for a semi private room when the time comes. I met with a midwife and consultant but never knew you had to say you wanted midwife led care.....I'm assuming that will be automatic as you're really just part of the system but I'm as clueless as you on that one. Perhaps some of our more enlightened ladies could help us here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Angeline you can't go semi unless you pay the semi p fee regardless of your using your health insurance :( the hospital will not let you.
    There are not enough semi p beds for semi patients :(
    What you could do is pay 500 and go semi p but go to community midwives. You need to be low risk for this. Otherwise Full semi is 900 plus bloods at 12 weeks. You will get a lot if not all of the 500 back from your health insurance.

I am going private and will be shocked if I get a private room for 3 nights. I would say I will either be on semi or public for minimum of a night ;)

Millem wrote: »
    Angeline you can't go semi unless you pay the semi p fee regardless of your using your health insurance :( the hospital will not let you.
    There are not enough semi p beds for semi patients :(
    What you could do is pay 500 and go semi p but go to community midwives. You need to be low risk for this. Otherwise Full semi is 900 plus bloods at 12 weeks. You will get a lot if not all of the 500 back from your health insurance.

I am going private and will be shocked if I get a private room for 3 nights. I would say I will either be on semi or public for minimum of a night ;)

You can only go private or public in CUMH. But as far as I know from colleagues you can go semi private for the room only. I'll ring CUMH and find out for sure. A friend went private and had her own room for a number of days.

You can only go private or public in CUMH. But as far as I know from colleagues you can go semi private for the room only. I'll ring CUMH and find out for sure. A friend went private and had her own room for a number of days.

Rooms are luck of the draw. I might be lucky and get my own room but may not. I am under no illusion though I will may not get one for my full stay. Don't get me wrong I want one!!!
    On my son in holles st they were just so busy they had pushed 10 beds into a 6 bed ward.
    The private fee is for the 40 weeks of care I have received from my consultant which has been 100% worth it so far.

Rang CUMH there and you are right. She was v nice but said no, once you're public you are public all the way through so can't use my health insurance for semi private at the end. Let's hope I won't be in there for too long as I like my privacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Rang CUMH there and you are right. She was v nice but said no, once you're public you are public all the way through so can't use my health insurance for semi private at the end. Let's hope I won't be in there for too long as I like my privacy!

Dipping in from another months thread- I think CUMH isn't a bad place to be a public patient! A lot of the rooms have only two beds anyhow I think. I know a friend of mine who was definitely a public patient only shared with one other lady in a two bedded ward.
    Their public wards have only 4 beds so it's not awful in comparison to other hospitals!

That's not bad at all jlm29!

Not gonna lie Millem your story of the 10 beds pushed into the 6 bed ward is exactly what I'm afraid of, I'm going to tell the GP on my next visit that I want combined care with the midwives, I hope to God they can do it :(

That's not bad at all jlm29!

Not gonna lie Millem your story of the 10 beds pushed into the 6 bed ward is exactly what I'm afraid of, I'm going to tell the GP on my next visit that I want combined care with the midwives, I hope to God they can do it :(

Juicyduckie it was desperate....trying to breastfed....stitches getting checked and people sharing curtains!!!! I stayed a few hours and left....no shower in pjs, I was gone :) they were delighted as let's face it they needed my bed!!!!

With the domino apps there is no wait time.....like literally 0 minutes!! They are in a hse centre, very handy for parking but no scan. If that bothers you sure you could just pay for the odd scan. The queues though were just the biggest joke in fairness in the hospital public section and then I got called God only knows who I would see....not worth the 3+ hour wait (in my experience)!!! I think I have blocked out the dodgey characters?? Don't remember but my memory is shocking :D
    Never saw anyone at domino apps though.

Millem how can it be so bad? Is Holles St. the only one?

I'm not saying I have a fear of giving birth or anything, I've prepared myself for the realities of what that will be like, but I can't prepare for the indecency of getting stitches checked and whatever else and sharing curtains, Jesus wept. :eek:

Do you know where the closest clinic is to Rathmines? I have searched and searched online but I can't find out for the life of me!

The dodgy characters are the worst, that's the main thing putting me off. I'm being unreasonable I know, but it really did intimidate me a lot. :(

Having said that I am trying to envisage why I'm here, and try to enjoy the process, I've wanted to have a baby for so long so I don't know why I'm focussing on the negative so much - it's the best thing that's ever happened to me :) this wee group is lovely x

• Advertisement

Millem how can it be so bad? Is Holles St. the only one?

I'm not saying I have a fear of giving birth or anything, I've prepared myself for the realities of what that will be like, but I can't prepare for the indecency of getting stitches checked and whatever else and sharing curtains, Jesus wept. :eek:

Do you know where the closest clinic is to Rathmines? I have searched and searched online but I can't find out for the life of me!

The dodgy characters are the worst, that's the main thing putting me off. I'm being unreasonable I know, but it really did intimidate me a lot. :(

Having said that I am trying to envisage why I'm here, and try to enjoy the process, I've wanted to have a baby for so long so I don't know why I'm focussing on the negative so much - it's the best thing that's ever happened to me :) this wee group is lovely x

No idea the closest one to rathmines? I used to go to nutgrove because it was handy parking :) it is in new hse building next to aldi and mr price :)

I think all hospitals (general and maternity) are the same when under pressure tbh. I didn't have any epidural etc so could leave thankfully after a few hours. I was on such a high after having baby I didn't pay attention to anyone only my baby!! I didn't talk to anyone on ward only dinner lady. There is no way though I could of managed to stay 3 days. It was my first (and last) experience of public system. I went public and domino because everyone raved about it in work....when I said to one girl about the rooms, she said "oh yeah sure I slept on the corridor, I didn't want to be 10th bed"??!! She actually slept outside domino delivery room and when it was free the next morning had a shower in there! lol

I would love my own room this time but not going to get my hopes up. I have a 3 year old who doesn't sleep and regularly pays us visits in the night :eek: This time round I want to stay in the 3 days. Wouldn't like dodgey characters though in my room Lol :)

Advertisement