Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MPV or hatch/estate ...

• 28-01-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Have a Mazda 6 currently. Great car but with 2 baby seats you can't fit an adult in the back in the middle which I'm going to need to do a couple times a week very soon.

Kids are 2 and 4. Maybe changing the baby seats would work instead??

Otherwise.. I've been considering changing to an mpv (shudder).

Citroen Picasso / c4 yolk or the peog 5008 or the s max seem to be best options ideally in automatic.

That said is there possibly a hatch/estate that has a much wider body or is it mpv time for that reason/seperate seat in middle etc..

I know the Mazda 6 is a smallish car in general for its "class" so maybe an Octavia or something is wider.

Thanks

... Looking at around 2013 models in general, budget probably max 18k. That will include my trade in of about 8k I'm guessing so list price in dealers of 18k in other words.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Superb estate:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/2.0-TDI/1490824569698637857/

Mileage is a little above average for the year but it seems to have a full service history and well speced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    Superb estate:

Mileage is a little above average for the year but it seems to have a full service history and well speced.

Our one will be gone next week. Replaced by a sharan. The superb is a great car but it's also a relatively narrow car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

bazz26 wrote: »
    Superb estate:

That is very nice, well as nice as estates can go. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Very few cars would fit an adult with two full baby seats in the back comfortably. I would guess that a Skoda Superb or Audi A6 would probably be the best bet. Otherwise you're looking at an MPV.

There are child seats that are designed to be narrower as well. Some of the Maxi Cosi ones are quite tidy I believe. Go in to mothercare or do a bit of googling and see if there is a combination that works with your current car. That would be a hell of a lot cheaper than an MPV. They'll be in boosters before you know it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Have a Mazda 6 currently. Great car but with 2 baby seats you can't fit an adult in the back in the middle which I'm going to need to do a couple times a week very soon.

Kids are 2 and 4. Maybe changing the baby seats would work instead??

Otherwise.. I've been considering changing to an mpv (shudder).

Citroen Picasso / c4 yolk or the peog 5008 or the s max seem to be best options ideally in automatic.

When you're looking at c4 CP and 5008, the only sensible automatic option with the most common 1.6 HDI starts in late 2015, with model year 2016 - when PSA started installing torque convert boxes. Otherwise you can look for 2nd generation C4 GP 2.0 HDI (2013+) - which are rare, but all had the traditional torque converter box.

S-Max will come with 2.0 TDCI (the same as 2.0 HDI engine) with a Powershift gearbox.
    That said is there possibly a hatch/estate that has a much wider body or is it mpv time for that reason/seperate seat in middle etc..

I know the Mazda 6 is a smallish car in general for its "class" so maybe an Octavia or something is wider.

No estate will give you the practicality and space of a MPV.

Octavia is class below Mazda 6. Never forget that an Octavia is a compact car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Went to see the big mpv Ford Galaxy and smaller mpv type Citreon C4 Picasso there.

I won't lie they are seriously depressing cars?/buses.

I'm going to see is there any way on the car seat side of things instead with my current Mazda 6 to accommodate an adult and 2 car seats/boosters or something.

I don't think I can deal with an mpv on a day to day basis based on my feelings today but might have no choice :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Is it full baby seats or boosters you need to get in the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

The Granny test is what we used to call it. Can you squeeze granny in beside the kids? We went around to the dealers and tried the seats in the showroom.

3 individual seats in the back are required if you have baby seats and that means an MPV. We even looked at the Rav 4, CRV, Outlander PHEV and CX5 and none of them would do the business. C4, S-Max and even the Verso were all fine. Works best with the centre seat moved forward and the outer seats back as far as possible.

If you have an older child (4+) and you are happy to put one in a booster then you can do it in a normal saloon/estate. We put the eldest in the middle on a narrow booster and the youngest in a full size by the window. It leaves plenty of room for the missus on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Went to see the big mpv Ford Galaxy and smaller mpv type Citreon C4 Picasso there.
    Look more closely at the S-Max. It has as much space in the middle row as the Galaxy, but is much less van-like - in looks and to drive.

It really hides it's size very well and feels like a regular car to drive. They are expensive though compared to C4 Picasso and 5008 which are a bit smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

S-Max they really are a brilliant MPV. Great to look at at and very nice to drive too. Loads of room in them too its like have your own spaceship. The revamped version from 2011 on is the best. The new model looks great but its not as stylish or as good looking as the first model.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Slightly different option, and maybe a bit old at this stage, but a Honda FRV has 3 seats in front and back. Stick 4 year old in middle front seat and there's plenty of room in back.

Advertisement