Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What next for the undocumented Irish in the states?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a hard ol' station he has......all those hours in the government jet, the wining, the dining and then he has to do something as unspeakable as an empty political gesture......

......sure a nurse in A&E on Saturday night has it easy compared to that.

Put it this way, any time he finds it all too onerous he can resign, walk away and get a pension equivalent to an amount the vast majority of us will never see as a salary.

As I said I'm no fan of Kenny but its still an unenvious position that the Irish electorate are pushing him into and quite frankly it reflects poorly on the country as a whole.
    He is our a head of state after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

As I said I'm no fan of Kenny but its still an unenvious position that the Irish electorate are pushing him into and quite frankly it reflects poorly on the country as a whole.

Yes and he wasn't dragooned into doing it.

Very few of us have the luxury of being able to walk away from our jobs without any consequences. TDs generally have fallback options, for example Enda was a teacher before inherited his seat got elected. Nothing to stop him doing that.

And he only raises such issues because of votes and expediency......he could always show some actual leadership and stand on his principles if he feels being populist is inherently wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jawgap wrote:
    And he only raises such issues because of votes and expediency......he could always show some actual leadership and stand on his principles if he feels being populist is inherently wrong.

Your plan being......?

First Up wrote: »
    Your plan being......?

No plan, aside from they made their bed they can lie in it.

I don't think Enda deserves any sympathy simply because he does something populist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Michael D might disagree with you on that one.

Jawgap wrote:
    I don't think Enda deserves any sympathy simply because he does something populist.

You seem to harbour very hostile feelings towards Kenny. Other than gloating at him being in a difficult position, do you have any specific criticisms/suggestions?

You seem to harbour very hostile feelings towards Kenny. Other than gloating at him being in a difficult position, do you have any specific criticisms/suggestions?

Well I'm not sure it's for this thread, but I'm not gloating simply pointing out the actuality of his position.

Wouldn't it be great, especially in the current climate, if we had politicians who led and took principled positions, rather than just pander?

Jawgap wrote:
    Wouldn't it be great, especially in the current climate, if we had politicians who led and took principled positions, rather than just pander?

Good idea. Which positions would you like to see him take?

Good idea. Which positions would you like to see him take?

On the topic to hand?

Simple, "you made your bed, lie in it. You shouldn't be treated any less or more favourably than any other illegal immigrant."

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote:
    Simple, "you made your bed, lie in it. You shouldn't be treated any less or more favourably than any other illegal immigrant."

Fair enough. He may not put it in quite those terms but do you suspect he will say something different?

Fair enough. He may not put it in quite those terms but do you suspect he will say something different?

I doubt he'll surprise us ;)

Advertisement