Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Rules

Options
  • 28-01-2017 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭

I'd just like to refer to a thread in the Prison Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057696375

The poster appears to have been banned for a rule that is not actually stated anywhere. The admin stated
    Not everything is spelled out in the charters or terms of use.

Seems like the admin is saying that there are rules that people are just expected to know without them being told. Is this correct? Is there any other rules like this? Is there any reason they aren't stated?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Probably one of the few threads in Prison where I actually felt sorry for poster. Didn't read what was contained in the PM but provided it's not personal information it's a bit harsh to ban someone and not give them a warning and make them wiser in future.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness, the name is a bit of a giveaway - they're private messages. It shouldn't need to be stated anywhere that you don't have permission to publicly post what someone has sent to you as a private message. But as to why it's not explicitly stated in the Terms of Use, you'd need to ask someone in the office that question as they are the ones who drafted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Seems like the admin is saying that there are rules that people are just expected to know without them being told. Is this correct? Is there any other rules like this? Is there any reason they aren't stated?

SzRVUEy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A few months ago a PM was posted on a dental issue thread, that post got deleted by an admin, poster wasn't banned, maybe it's all about context, no idea really.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's literally impossible to write everything into the Terms of Use, or the forum charters. If they're too tightly defined, it's constraining. But on the other hand, if they're too loose, then they're no use either.

I get your point about the Private Messages, but I must admit that I am surprised people need to be told not to share private messages without permission. We can ask HQ to consider including it in the Terms of Use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Yes I get that it's called private but privacy is usually a right you can choose to give up freely. It seems like a pretty simple rule to describe and if it can result in a site ban it should definitely be stated somewhere.

Yes I get that it's called private but privacy is usually a right you can choose to give up freely.

Absolutely, but in this case there are two parties, and posting PMs without the consent of the other party is not on. I'll push the feedback to HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Surely if you send OR receive a PM then its yours to share with whomever you like, just as with an email, text message etc! I cant think of any legitimate reason why this sort of rule should exist? Don't want people to see it then don't send it in a PM.... This is definitely one of the more puzzling boards rules and I have been around a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Wait, is Boards.ie going to enact some regulation that is different to how the whole rest of the world works?

If I receive a piece of post in the mail, an email (solicited or unsolicited), a text message on my phone I am free to show whoever the hell I want to show. Even by publishing it in a newspaper of record.

Is Boards.ie going to do something different with received PMs, as in put a prohibition on the publication of messages received by members?

Because that's a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

rex-x wrote: »
    Surely if you send OR receive a PM then its yours to share with whomever you like, just as with an email, text message etc! I cant think of any legitimate reason why this sort of rule should exist? Don't want people to see it then don't send it in a PM.... This is definitely one of the more puzzling boards rules and I have been around a while

100%.

If you don't want people to see nasty stuff you send someone... don't send it. Poor form to treat the receiver of abuse as harshly as the abuser.

Victim blaming I think boards mods would call it. Except I guess some people really ARE asking for it in their minds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

this needs to be a publicly stated rule. I'd no idea it was a banned or even siteban offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

I'd just like to refer to a thread in the Prison Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057696375

The poster appears to have been banned for a rule that is not actually stated anywhere. The admin stated

That's bloody nonsense tbh.

Unspoken rules that ordinary users aren't privy to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Wait. Why shouldn't I be allowed share something someone sends me? What difference is it too posting normally. It's just private. That's nonsense to be honest.

Don't send someone something you wouldn't post normally, would have been how I operate, considering they could do what the hell they like with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 themagiconion

I remember a post a while back that a poster made asking Mods... Are mods allowed to read other peoples private messages, and the mod said No 'they' can't even read private messages, so I gathered there and then that if the mods can't even look at peoples private messages then it would be a no-no to even think of posting anyone's private messages on thread.

It should be hi-lighted in the charter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Deub

I find strange the poster got banned for this but there is a dedicated thread where people are sharing funny facebook posts.
    For all we know, the person who posted it has a restricted Facebook account so only "friends" can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It might not be any harm to maybe take another look at this ban and possibly reconsider. Unless the poster has a bad history of cards n bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 g2020

I might not be any harm to maybe take another look at this ban and possibly reconsider. Unless the poster has a bad history of cards n bans.

25k posts.

Doubt they're a trouble maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This isn't a 'rule' I have ever come across here and it sounds completely daft. What gets sent to you is yours to share as and when you choose. There is also absolutely no reason this isn't in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It does seem to be a bit unreasonable just going off of the two threads.

If it was in the charter then that would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 g2020

This isn't a 'rule' I have ever come across here and it sounds completely daft. What gets sent to you is yours to share as and when you choose. There is also absolutely no reason this isn't in the charter.

Agreed, unless it's personally identifying the sender, how is it anyone's business what you do with that info? Especially fcuking threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

It does seem to be a bit unreasonable just going off of the two threads.

If it was in the charter then that would be different.

I don't see how it being in the charter would make it OK, it's a nonsense rule... Although to me charters are also rubbish, bureaucracy for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

rex-x wrote: »
    I don't see how it being in the charter would make it OK, it's a nonsense rule... Although to me charters are also rubbish, bureaucracy for the sake of it
    A lot of places and sites have nonsense rules but at least if you're aware of them you can avoid situations like this.

That whole prison thread is a nonsense.

It's basically Admins tying themselves in knots to justify a pretty flimsy ban.

The user has been royally screwed over, and in true Boards.ie style it's do your best to not admit doing anything wrong, and use spurious back-reasoning to justify pretty shítty behaviour.

It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

That whole prison thread is a nonsense.

It's basically Admins tying themselves in knots to justify a pretty flimsy ban.

The user has been royally screwed over, and in true Boards.ie style it's do your best to not admit doing anything wrong, and use spurious back-reasoning to justify pretty shítty behaviour.

It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.

To be honest usually posters in Prison are absolute clowns who are reregs or spammers for the most part.

Someone else mentioned this poster has 25k posts and 7 years on the site. Surely in this situation an administrator accepts it's an unwritten rule and advises the poster it's not allowed with an informal warning.

In the prison thread the OP pointed out someone sharing messages from whatsapp and emails between two posters and this is deemed ok but a Boards PM is too important to be shared. If it's something that is gonna attract a site ban it needs to be in terms and conditions.

I wasn't talking about just prison, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Wait, is Boards.ie going to enact some regulation that is different to how the whole rest of the world works?

If I receive a piece of post in the mail, an email (solicited or unsolicited), a text message on my phone I am free to show whoever the hell I want to show. Even by publishing it in a newspaper of record.

Should be kind of obvious that you can't post content of PMs because they are not easily verifiable and this would totally spoil a discussion board.

e.g.,
    As it happens poster Lovely Bloke pm'ed me 10 minutes ago and said
    I don't really care too much about the issue but I love seeing the mods on the backfoot. P.S AJ you're my fav poster
    No-one can know if this is a true quote or not and would make a farce of any subsequent discussion.

Ban should be overturned though and charter updated.

No I didn't.

And, Admin can see if a particular person sent a PM at a particular time. :)

And, Admin can see if a particular person sent a PM at a particular time. :)

Actually no, we can't. (Unless there is something I am not aware of). All I can see is the number of in/out PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dudara wrote: »
    Actually no, we can't. (Unless there is something I am not aware of). All I can see is the number of in/out PMs.

Are you saying armani jeans is banned now?

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »

Apologies, yes, I was mistaken there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement