Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This post has been deleted.

Wow, who would have thought public nudity is against the law? Next thing you'll be telling me I have to give that kilo of weapons grade plutonium back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Wow, who would have thought public nudity is against the law? Next thing you'll be telling me I have to give that kilo of weapons grade plutonium back.

Everybody thought it. That's the point of making laws. So people know what they can't do.

Stheno wrote: »
    That wouldnt be feasible specifically for DRP where cmods ask posters to send them pms from mods or to post them. Youd need to add that as a disclaimer

Which brings me to another issue, how do those cmods and admins know that the PMs are genuine if they can't access them themselves?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Which brings me to another issue, how do those cmods and admins know that the PMs are genuine if they can't access them themselves?

If you report a pm it gets sent to the admins i think. Definitely doesnt go to mods anyway.

• Advertisement

If you report a pm it gets sent to the admins i think. Definitely doesnt go to mods anyway.

Seems not
    dudara wrote: »
    Actually no, we can't. (Unless there is something I am not aware of). All I can see is the number of in/out PMs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seems not

Thats slightly different.

Admins cant go into someones inbox and read their pms but if someone reports a pm its essentially forwarded automatically to them.

Thats my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Seems not

My comment there was in response to a comment that Admins can see when PMs are sent. In the normal course of things, we can't see any details around PMs. (they are private after all). All we can see is the number of in/out PMs on a users profile.

The only time we ever get to see a PM is when it is reported for review. The act of reporting the PM creates a new thread in the Reported Messages forum, which is accessible by Admins only. The thread contains the text of the PM. It's the same mechanism as the Reported Posts forum, but limited to Admins only.

I hope this helps clarify the process

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

On the one hand, I'm very surprised that somebody with that many years and more than 20,000 posts on the site has never seen it said that PMs must remain private - I've seen it many times.

And 'it's not in the charter' isn't the same thing as 'I didn't know it was forbidden'. So there could be a degree of rules-lawyering going on alright.

On the other hand, this 'well we can't write every possible situation into the charter' line is absolute nonsense in this particular case.

This isn't some case of persistent low-level trolling or something that really does require careful individual inspection. It's black and white. PMs are private and cannot be shared without permission of both parties. That's something that could easily be added to the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thats slightly different.

Admins cant go into someones inbox and read their pms but if someone reports a pm its essentially forwarded automatically to them.

Thats my understanding anyway.

They don't need to go into the mailbox, they can just search the servers outgoing mail. All PMs sent are there.

Anywho, I understand why some rules need to be vague so people don't try to act the arse and dance around them, but there is no reason why no sharing PMs without permission isn't included as it is very simple. I don't agree with it like, but if it is to be a rule that incurs a site ban it should be made clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

How about it gets added to rules

"All PM will remain private unless there is express permission from both parties to publish them, with following exceptions.

When a PM is reported, in which case the PM becomes viewable by an Administrator or above, and only by them.

When a poster is involved in a DRP, then all PMs relating to the DRP (and only those relating to DRP) may be published as requested within the process."

Or something, going round in predictable circles now on this thread.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They don't need to go into the mailbox, they can just search the servers outgoing mail. All PMs sent are there

Just to be very clear. Admins do not have that access. We don't need it and we shouldn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

dudara wrote: »
    Just to be very clear. Admins do not have that access. We don't need it and we shouldn't have it.

Nonetheless, access to all and any PMs is there to whoever the admins of the server are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

Ok, so to fix this issue, we need a line in the T's & C's that say you can't share the contents of a Private Message without the sender's prior approval. Is that correct?

And we can then put away the pitchforks and torches, un-circle the wagons and refrain from engaging in public nudity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

osarusan wrote: »
    On the one hand, I'm very surprised that somebody with that many years and more than 20,000 posts on the site has never seen it said that PMs must remain private - I've seen it many times.

And 'it's not in the charter' isn't the same thing as 'I didn't know it was forbidden'. So there could be a degree of rules-lawyering going on alright.

On the other hand, this 'well we can't write every possible situation into the charter' line is absolute nonsense in this particular case.

This isn't some case of persistent low-level trolling or something that really does require careful individual inspection. It's black and white. PMs are private and cannot be shared without permission of both parties. That's something that could easily be added to the charter

I would absolutely oppose this as a blanket rule.
    Make it absolutely unequivocally banned to reveal identifying information or personal info about someone received in a PM.

But do not create a culture where vile abuse can be sent via PM but never spoke of by the receiver.

If somebody sends me vile PMs I will out them for it.

I would absolutely oppose this as a blanket rule.
    Make it absolutely unequivocally banned to reveal identifying information or personal info about someone received in a PM.

But do not create a culture where vile abuse can be sent via PM but never spoke of by the receiver.

If someone sends you vile pms report them

Ok, so to fix this issue, we need a line in the T's & C's that say you can't share the contents of a Private Message without the sender's prior approval. Is that correct?

And we can then put away the pitchforks and torches, un-circle the wagons and refrain from engaging in public nudity.

Open to abuse and it favours those sending nasty stuff. Only those with an interest in facilitating that carry on would support it once that had been pointed out.

The wording needs to be smarter than that.

If someone sends you vile pms report them

To some of the people here?

• Advertisement

And that is exactly why the Reported message function exists. Admins and Boards HQ take a very dim view of abuse via PM. And it's not just abuse, but there could also be potential grooming and other nasty activities ongoing via PM. If anyone has received a dodgy PM, please report it. We need posters to report in order to give us evidence to act.

To some of the people here?

The admins?

Open to abuse and it favours those sending nasty stuff. Only those with an interest in facilitating that carry on would support it once that had been pointed out.

Joking aside, I can't see why that would be. We have a Report PM function, so any abuse can be reported and auctioned.

Seems fair, except that nudity clause.

The admins?

Who is an admin here? I'm on mobile. I can't even tell who is a mod apart from their tone and their interest in people not being allowed to publish some of the oddball stuff they get send via super duper super secret message.

Who is an admin here? I'm on mobile. I can't even tell who is a mod apart from their tone and their interest in people not being allowed to publish some of the oddball stuff they get send via super duper super secret message.

Its under their usernames on touch and the full site dont know about mobile

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well when you report a PM the admins automatically get notified and a copy of the PM in question. However the list of current admins are:
    • BuffyBot
    • dudara
    • Gordon
    • LoLth
    • Mr E
    • Taltos
    • The Hill Billy
    • Tom Dunne
    • Zaph

Apogies. It does say adminsitrator under one profile name. The same un biased poster whof was dragging in irrelevant stuff from another thread to misrepresent what I was saying here.

Unacceptable that a bullying PM could be referred to them after having shown their bias here.

Seems fair, except that nudity clause.

Grand so, we will pass it on to Boards.ie HQ. I doubt they would have gone for the nudity clause anyway. The office can be quite chilly. :pac:

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Well when you report a PM the admins automatically get notified and a copy of the PM in question. However the list of current admins are:
    • BuffyBot
    • dudara
    • Gordon
    • LoLth
    • Mr E
    • Taltos
    • The Hill Billy
    • Tom Dunne
    • Zaph

Ah yeah I thought tom dunne might be alright from the tone but on mobile ze appears as "gotta keep the loonies on the path". Which is quite condescending.

I've seen Tom dunne in action before too. I wouldn't be comfortable reporting PMs via that route, does not seem impartial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement