Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insure for Au Pairs

Options
  • 28-01-2017 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

We have an au pair living with us, our problem is we can't get her car insurance which is an issue as we need her to drop the children to and from school and she needs to get to English classes 2 evenings a week. We live in the country and are not on any bus routes and are a number of miles from the nearest bus stop. (currently my in laws have been driving the kids to school to help us out but can't commit to this for the rest of the school year)

We have a 99 reg car however insurance companies won't quote her for insurance. She is 25 from Spain and has been driving 5 years she has an EU driving licence. I have my own car and my husband has a company car, I work from 7 in the morning so getting her insured in my car is no use. My husband tried to get insured in the 99 reg car and put her as a named driver but the insurance companies would only quote for him.

I know insurance companies over the last number of months /year are not wanting to insure cars that are 10 years or older, we were thinking would it be easier to get insurance for her if we upped the year of car to 2005 - 2006 but we don't want to waste money on a car if she still can't be insured

I know there are a number of au pairs on the road driving so I am wondering how people are managing to get them insured. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Have they said why they won't insure her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Have you tried insuring the car for any driver with owners permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Murney2017 wrote: »
    Hi

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

We have an au pair living with us, our problem is we can't get her car insurance which is an issue as we need her to drop the children to and from school and she needs to get to English classes 2 evenings a week. We live in the country and are not on any bus routes and are a number of miles from the nearest bus stop. (currently my in laws have been driving the kids to school to help us out but can't commit to this for the rest of the school year)

We have a 99 reg car however insurance companies won't quote her for insurance. She is 25 from Spain and has been driving 5 years she has an EU driving licence. I have my own car and my husband has a company car, I work from 7 in the morning so getting her insured in my car is no use. My husband tried to get insured in the 99 reg car and put her as a named driver but the insurance companies would only quote for him.

I know insurance companies over the last number of months /year are not wanting to insure cars that are 10 years or older, we were thinking would it be easier to get insurance for her if we upped the year of car to 2005 - 2006 but we don't want to waste money on a car if she still can't be insured

I know there are a number of au pairs on the road driving so I am wondering how people are managing to get them insured. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Donedeal and pick random cars that you are thinking of buying and stick her details into as many online insurance sites as possible.

Other option is for one of you to insure it and get Open drive which allows anyone over 25 with a valid licence to drive it, the problem with this is that you can't use your NCD so the quote will be high though some companies do offer to mirror NCDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Murney2017

One insurance company came back and said the quote was coming in at over 6K which was over the limit they could quote. Others are saying that if my husband gets insured on the car and adds her that is "frontloading" something to do with the named driver using the car more than the person insured on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Talk to a broker.

Our au pair is a learner... 25 from spain, and I insured her on our car for 120 euro as a named driver. Car is 151 reg.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Talk to a broker.

Our au pair is a learner... 25 from spain, and I insured her on our car for 120 euro as a named driver. Car is 151 reg.

Is she driving unaccompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭banie01

pwurple wrote: »
    Talk to a broker.

Spanish learners permit cannot be used here as a license, and as such can't be used for driving outside of Spain nor can a Spanish learner drive unaccompanied even in Spain. There is also a requirement of instructor accompanied hours well in excess of our own 12hrs before a Spanish license can be issued.
    I would hope that this person at the very least has an Irish learners permit and isn't driving unaccompanied.

And it is now an offence for a car owner to allow a learner driver to drive unaccompanied. Car owners will be prosecuted for this offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

And it is now an offence for a car owner to allow a learner driver to drive unaccompanied. Car owners will be prosecuted for this offence.

I don't think that's true, yet, although it's something the RSA have suggested

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-may-make-car-owners-liable-for-use-by-lone-learner-drivers-1.2878094

Is she driving unaccompanied?

No, of course not, that's illegal. She drives with me, or with the instructor. She is doing lessons here also to do the test in the summer.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Spanish learners permit cannot be used here as a license, and as such can't be used for driving outside of Spain nor can a Spanish learner drive unaccompanied even in Spain. There is also a requirement of instructor accompanied hours well in excess of our own 12hrs before a Spanish license can be issued.
    I would hope that this person at the very least has an Irish learners permit and isn't driving unaccompanied.

I know. It's an Irish learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Murney2017 wrote: »
    One insurance company came back and said the quote was coming in at over 6K which was over the limit they could quote. Others are saying that if my husband gets insured on the car and adds her that is "frontloading" something to do with the named driver using the car more than the person insured on the car.

I'm in the insurance business and also have an au pair as it happens. i have my au pair added onto my policy in the same way as pwurple has, costs will vary depending on the car and the persons age and what company you are with but by and large its affordable more so if the au pair is a a little bit older.

what you are trying to do is take out a new policy on an extra car and put her on it, this you will find much more difficult and very expensive. none the less there is a cheaperway.

firstly you will need to establish if the company that you are insured with will add her onto your policy. because she is over 25 they almost certainly will. then ask them if they will change off yyour car onto the 1999 car, as they are your existing insurer they should do, if they refuse ask about a newer car. the problem is not that it is over 10 years old but over 15 a 10 year old car or even a 12 year old should be alright.

your husband will then have to take out a policy in his name on the car you have presently insured ( your car), to get a reasonable quote he should use the fact that he has been named on your policy for the last 5 years, this will get him an introductory no claims bonus, he will then name you on this policy.

you are lucky in that he has a company car at present if he had his own car insured already this would be impossible.
    after all this is done the insurance on the au pairs car will be in your name with you husband and her as named drivers. your car will now be insured by your husband with you as a named driver.

this is messy and is not something that i would take on for a client because its a load of hassle for what might be a temporary policy and there is an element of fronting to it but that is how you would go about it.

Advertisement