Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computer Issue

Options
  • 28-01-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I built a new PC for Christmas and as much as i love it and a huge upgrade from my Gaming laptop it still doesn't seem to be performing like it should.

PC Specs

i5 6600K No OC (was overclocked to 4.6Ghz)
    GTX 1070 Zotac AMP! Extreme (Factory Clocked)
    8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Ram
    650W PSU (EVGA)
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2.0

They are the main specs.
    I've been looking at benchmarks of similar and the same hardware and Im just seeing numbers that don't match mine and i know if the systems aren't exact same there will be different numbers. But i feel that my GPU is not performing as it should and i don't think its a CPU bottleneck.

Is there any free software that will do full system benchmark that you can then reference with other system identical or very similar to my own.

All help is very appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/

3DMark is very consistent but for the love of god dont pay full price for it, grab it on sale for €5.

In the meantime:
    Install MSI Afterburner (doesnt matter if you dont have MSI kit)
    Install heaven
    Turn on the AfterB ingame overlay to show GPU usage
    Run Heaven

If heaven isnt maxing out your GPU you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

ED E wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/

3DMark is very consistent but for the love of god dont pay full price for it, grab it on sale for €5.

In the meantime:
    Install MSI Afterburner (doesnt matter if you dont have MSI kit)
    Install heaven
    Turn on the AfterB ingame overlay to show GPU usage
    Run Heaven

If heaven isnt maxing out your GPU you have a problem.

I done what you said with MSI After burner and Heaven my GPU was at 100% whole time, Ill pick 3DMark up when its on sale like you said!

My score on Heaven was 2496 - that was running on Extreme Tessellation - Ultra Quality - 1080P - 8xAA

Is that a good score ?

I said id overclock my GPU for the fun of it and here is the new result.

http://prntscr.com/e1n3uj

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll want to upgrade to W10 at some point in the nearish future when DX12 starts becoming a thing.

105 FPS with those settings is pretty nice. Everything should be peachy.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll want to upgrade to W10 at some point in the nearish future when DX12 starts becoming a thing.

105 FPS with those settings is pretty nice. Everything should be peachy.

Must be a problem with heaven because i'm running windows 10 :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When you say not performing like it should, how so? Framerate?

If you're comparing to benchmarks for GTX1070 on pro websites, a lot of those will be using i7 processors which in some games, are considerably faster, others identical.

I no most benchmarks are done with i7's but i read up about the GTX 1080 and its only have roughly 25 - 30% more power then the 1070 but on a lot of game its seems to have more then 50 - 60% now i'm presuming that is down to optimisation rather then hardware.

For example Rust i get 100 fps on maxed settings (can be a bit choppy down to server and latency)

My friend has a 1080 and he is getting 250 fps im not sure what cpu he has but ill ask more then likely a i7 but still that is a huge difference.

Advertisement