Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost bin not composting?

Options
  • 28-01-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

My compost bin is almost full but it doesn't seem to be breaking down. Anything I can do to speed it up? Should I pour some water in there?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not a time of year you expect much activity in a compost bin - but if it's dry, it won't compost well at the best of times. throw some water in (or urinate into it, if you're so inclined), but don't expect it to have much effect on the composting rate till temps start to climb again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Have you posting worms in it? It is outdoors and cold? Too wet or dry? They benefit from a regular mix up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

joejoe87 wrote: »
    My compost bin is almost full but it doesn't seem to be breaking down. Anything I can do to speed it up? Should I pour some water in there?

To cold at the moment. Outside is basically like a fridge. It'll break down when it warms up

Advertisement