Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone Vs Camera for holiday pictures

• 28-01-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all! :D

I have a trip to Thailand coming up soon and I know there are going to be amazing picture opportunities but I am undecided if I should invest in a Camera or a smartphone with a good camera? Any advice would be great thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What do you want to do with the photos? Facebook, twitter, and just look at them on your phone? Then a phone is fine.

If you want to print them, and especially if you want to print them any decent size, then you want a proper camera.

Personally, I'd bring a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

Paulw wrote: »
    What do you want to do with the photos? Facebook, twitter, and just look at them on your phone? Then a phone is fine.

If you want to print them, and especially if you want to print them any decent size, then you want a proper camera.

Personally, I'd bring a camera.

Thank you for your reply! :D

I guess it's more quality I was looking for and wondering if there is much of a difference? Obviously a camera is always going to better but I have taken some very good pictures just with my (recently deceased) smart phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I always bring my Sony RX100 (Have a look at 2nd hand prices for the MK1) with me on holidays, its small but the quality and low light performance is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cerisepink wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply! :D

I guess it's more quality I was looking for and wondering if there is much of a difference? Obviously a camera is always going to better but I have taken some very good pictures just with my (recently deceased) smart phone?

Good photos - yep. But, image quality enough to print - usually not enough detail to print any larger than 8x10 or A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Smartphones are the Jack of all trades they can do a bit of everything but very few things as well as a custom built device. Camera will be technically better, but for 99% of people the phone is completely adequate presuming you have a good camera on yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really awkward question to answer... kinda like how long is a piece of string. What's the budget we're talking about here?

Budget phone vs budget camera... neither will produce fantastic photos but the camera will be better
    Top end phone vs budget camera.... I get great photos out of my Huawei P9 (using VSCO) and I've printed them alongside my Nikon & Fuji images and they hold their own. Depending on how 'budget' you go, the camera will probably give slightly better results but then you weigh that up with having to carry a camera and a phone.
    Top end phone vs top end camera... go for the camera. Yes, fine I just said that a top end phone can hold it's own but I'll also put it this way... I printed up my 2016 photo album recently. About 5-10% of the photos used were from my phone and I have my phone on me 100% of the time. The photos are fine to use but they're just not as versatile and don't come near the quality of a high end camera.

Personally, I'd invest in a good camera. Not just for the images but I wouldn't want to be traveling around with an expensive phone wearing light shorts hiking around the place. So much potential for it to just slip out or be nicked. At least a camera will be strapped to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Cerisepink wrote: »
    Hi all! :D

I have a trip to Thailand coming up soon and I know there are going to be amazing picture opportunities but I am undecided if I should invest in a Camera or a smartphone with a good camera? Any advice would be great thanks! :)

Camera:

Do you at least have experience using a decent camera? If you don't and you won't have the the time to learn how to use it and develop technique/skills, you'll basically be taking snapshots, not composing and creating great photos. That's okay if you still want a camera, but don't buy one just because you think it will take better pictures. It won't on its own.

Smartphone:

If you just want to turn it on, point towards something interesting/beautiful you see and grab a nice picture, you're not doing anything a smartphone won't do for you. If that's the case, and it's perfectly fine to say so if it is, stick with a good smartphone with a decent camera and app.

Advertisement