Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Hunting Bargains

Options
  • 28-01-2017 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi all, first time post on this forum but a long time lurker. I do a bit of pest control on a few permissions with a hw97 and will shortly upgrade to a pcp and also a 22lr.
    I'm heading to the US shortly to visit family and wondering is it worthwhile to pick up a few items while there? Only thing is its New York I'm going to which probably doesn't have a lot of choice hunting wise.
    Few things I was thinking of,
    Binoculars.
    Knife.
    Rangefinder.
    Scope for pcp air rifle.
    Will any of the above items be picked up at decent savings compared to here? I'm not looking for top of the range gear, just good value for money. I can order online in advance and get delivered to NY. Has anyone done anything similar?
    Maybe someone can advise on above items also. Will binos that cost less than $100 be ok? Saw a selection on amazon which got decent reviews.
    Sorry for long post. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

The closest gun store in New York is out in long island. If you are not driving it will take a gits of 2 hours to get to. Taxi there wil be $$$.
    You could order it and get it sent to where you are staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

NY state or NYC? If it is NYC you are pretty limited,if it is NY state there should be still plenty of gun stores about.
    If you are in NYC ,hop over to NJ.There are or were,[20 odd years ago] a few good shops in Newark,Elizabeth,Edison,Perth Amboy ,etc.That's if you want to see stuff before paying for it. Otherwise catoluge ordering is good.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

nophd08 wrote: »
    Hi all, first time post on this forum but a long time lurker...
    Welcome and glad to have you aboard.

So you'll be in NYC? Don't suppose you'll be renting a car, will you?

The tri-state area as it is called, NY, NJ, and CT, is quite liberal. Not many gun sioppa left. There aren't any Cabela superstores, Gander MTN, Bass Pro, or the like nearby.

If you have a car, you could be at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA in about two hours. You could "ship to store" before you leave Eire and pick up your bits there. Or ship the lot to an address.

The Cabela's store is amazing. They have an aquarium and world class taxidermy: Lion, elephant, polar bear, gator ... You name it. Well worth the trip.
    is it worthwhile to pick up a few items while there?
    So long as the Pope is still Catholic.
    Binoculars.
    Knife.
    Rangefinder.
    Scope for pcp air rifle.
    Cabelas is probably your best bet. But, they can take a few extra days on shipping. Midway is the best to ship. Also, check Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops. Natchezss and CheaperThanDirt are worth mentioning too.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    There are or were,[20 odd years ago] a few good shops in Newark,Elizabeth,Edison,Perth Amboy ,etc.
    Doubt they are there anymore. The only guns you'll buy in those areas won't be legal ones!
    Will binos that cost less than $100 be ok?

You should be fine. The expensive stuff is usually for low light situations or dealing with electronics.

Check out Cabelas. Here's a deal on Bushnell for $149 - binoculars and rangefinder.

Give us a shout if you need anymore advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Any issues with sticking a scope in your luggage and bringing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Any issues with sticking a scope in your luggage and bringing it back.

I think it depends on your scope.

From an older post entitled "Shipping Scopes", OpticsPlanet advised they

Will ship
    Bushnell, Nikon, and Zeiss will be shipped.

Will Not Ship
    Leupold, Burris, Redfield, S&B, Swaro, and NF will not be shipped.

I think it is the military stuff they don't want leaving the country. Although, I have to wonder what scopes imported to the States from foreign countries are problematic, like NF.

Any idea what you want?

Also, you can keep it in your carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

www.webyshop.com. Will ship any of the below scope names to Ireland that optics planet wont.Just fill in a declaration form and you are good to go.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

FISMA. wrote: »
    Welcome and glad to have you aboard.

So you'll be in NYC? Don't suppose you'll be renting a car, will you?

The tri-state area as it is called, NY, NJ, and CT, is quite liberal. Not many gun sioppa left. There aren't any Cabela superstores, Gander MTN, Bass Pro, or the like nearby.

If you have a car, you could be at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA in about two hours. You could "ship to store" before you leave Eire and pick up your bits there. Or ship the lot to an address.

The Cabela's store is amazing. They have an aquarium and world class taxidermy: Lion, elephant, polar bear, gator ... You name it. Well worth the trip.

So long as the Pope is still Catholic.

Cabelas is probably your best bet. But, they can take a few extra days on shipping. Midway is the best to ship. Also, check Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops. Natchezss and CheaperThanDirt are worth mentioning too.

Doubt they are there anymore. The only guns you'll buy in those areas won't be legal ones!

You should be fine. The expensive stuff is usually for low light situations or dealing with electronics.

Check out Cabelas. Here's a deal on Bushnell for $149 - binoculars and rangefinder.

Give us a shout if you need anymore advice.

Thanks Fisma, great advice there. That deal on Bushnell is perfect for what I need. Won't have a car so I'll get it delivered to NYC. I had my eye on Bushnell gear on Amazon as it happens.

Advertisement