Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayview drive ,Killiney

• 28-01-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi.
    Wanted a general iDea on the area around Bayview drive, Killiney .
    Friends of ours are looking to buy in this area and wanted to know if its safe enough . It looks a bit outside and more in ballybrack than Killiney.
    any inputs on the area would be great !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get your friend to check if the house was flooded a few years back , several houses around the cul de sac was flooded. They wouldn't be able to get insurance.

I lived on the road for years and bought very close by (I can see it), it's great location and a nice estate. Your friend will have no trouble living there. It is Killiney and would be very different than the estates in Ballybrack.

I looked at the house with an intent to make an offer ( currently in a 3 bed ) I'd prefer one across the road as after mid day the back garden is in the shade.

The green and beach access, along with the DART are really convenient and it's only a 40min cycle to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

Thanks a ton.
    I'll ask him to check that.would you know of closeby school AMD any shops nearby.
    We drove around the other day and couldn't see any closeby which on a walking distance.

RaulDublin wrote: »
    Thanks a ton.
    I'll ask him to check that.would you know of closeby school AMD any shops nearby.
    We drove around the other day and couldn't see any closeby which on a walking distance.

Nearest shop is apple green, Centra in Ballybrack or Texaco when you come out and turn left , there's also a centra in rathsallsgh.

Supermarkets, Tesco Ballybrack (or Tesco express Shankill) , Dunnes Cornuelscourt, ALDI Sallynoggin, Lidl Sallynoggin or Bray, SuperValu Killiney (by the Graduate Pub)

LIDL have bought Shankill shopping centre which will open eventually.

Schools St. Anne's Shankill is quite popular with kids from Bayview as is Johnstown
    Wyvern opppsite Killiney castle . And the red brick opposite St. Anne's are both COI and some kids go there.

Their is a school in Rarhsallagh but I don't know people who go their.

There is an Gael Scoil in Ballybrack, but we send ours to Scoil Lorcain in Monkstown as it's very established and a feeder school for colaiste Eoin and Iosagain.

Secondary schools, Holy Child Killiney and Cluny are popular with girls as is Loretto Dalkey. There's also Sion Hill

Blackrock, Michaels and Andrews are on the Dart line and some people go there .

You also have St. Brendan's in Shankill/Bray.
    Oatlands, CBC Monkstown, New park.

Pubs, we tend to go Dalkey, druids chair or Killiney castle . Brady's in Shankill is good and there is two pubs in Ballybrack but I've never been.

There is a swimming pool and leisure centre in loughlinstown which is about 10 minute walk or less. And there's a Ben Dunne in cherrywood.

Most kids in the area play GAA for Cuala in Dalkey who use grounds all over the area. There is also Rugby, Soccer , Karate clubs etc all within the area.

Just with the flooding there's a river that goes between Seafield and Bayview. That's where the water came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. South county dublin forum charter applies

Forgot to mention there's a montesorri just across the road a few houses down , my two kids went there and got on well

https://m.facebook.com/Brooklands-Montessori-Preschool-833479600071788/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sallyv

I live in Bayview. That house in bayview drive is right beside the river that flooded. The house on the other side of the river got ruined in 2011. I would be very surprised if you'd get flood cover from an insurer. You'd be mad to spend nearly half a mil on something that might flood...however, the estate is lovely!
    There are great schools in the area. Bayview isn't in the catchment area for the best ones though, so if your friend have friends in watsons or shankill that they can use their address, they should be fine, otherwise it could be a bit tricky, unless they put their names down really early.
    It is a great estate but is 100% Ballybrack, great people live there & is not dodgy like other estates in Ballybrack but it is only killiney by address. Ballybrack is the local village where you do see some unsavoury characters hanging around the bookies.
    There are some young lads messing around the estate - you can see the fire remains under the dart bridge going to the beach from bayview. I wouldn't let my kids go to the beach or the green beside the beach without me. But besides that, I feel safe living here.
    I would recommend bayview but buyer beware with the flooding on bayview drive.

Thanks a ton.
    I called a few insurers and they refused insurance for Bayview dr.
    Br,raul

Thanks a ton.
    I called a few insurers and they refused insurance for Bayview dr.
    Br,raul

If your heart is set on it try a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Jaysus http://www.thejournal.ie/bayview-attack-killiney-3213978-Jan2017/ hope she's OK and the Gardai catch the scrote responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP I went to view a house in Bayview drive back in 2012 and they are one of the worst houses I viewed at the time we viewed around 25 houses at the time they are more of a 2 bed than 3 the box room is ridiculously small. As for the location we went up at night and there was some in unsavoury characters up there. It's no different than ballybrack IMO.

• Advertisement

sallyv wrote: »
    I live in Bayview. That house in bayview drive is right beside the river that flooded. The house on the other side of the river got ruined in 2011. I would be very surprised if you'd get flood cover from an insurer. You'd be mad to spend nearly half a mil on something that might flood...however, the estate is lovely!
    There are great schools in the area. Bayview isn't in the catchment area for the best ones though, so if your friend have friends in watsons or shankill that they can use their address, they should be fine, otherwise it could be a bit tricky, unless they put their names down really early.
    It is a great estate but is 100% Ballybrack, great people live there & is not dodgy like other estates in Ballybrack but it is only killiney by address. Ballybrack is the local village where you do see some unsavoury characters hanging around the bookies.
    There are some young lads messing around the estate - you can see the fire remains under the dart bridge going to the beach from bayview. I wouldn't let my kids go to the beach or the green beside the beach without me. But besides that, I feel safe living here.
    I would recommend bayview but buyer beware with the flooding on bayview drive.

Half a mill for bayview drive ? Madness that is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Half a mill for bayview drive ? Madness that is.

Agree, this one is 475K
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-bayview-drive-killiney-county-dublin/3846681

you've got an attic room and one would assume it's up to code up they are calling it a 4th bedroom, but @ 126 sq meters with that, the living space seems pretty small tbh.

OP I went to view a house in Bayview drive back in 2012 and they are one of the worst houses I viewed at the time we viewed around 25 houses at the time they are more of a 2 bed than 3 the box room is ridiculously small. As for the location we went up at night and there was some in unsavoury characters up there. It's no different than ballybrack IMO.
    This is a 4 bed

Agree, this one is 475K
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-bayview-drive-killiney-county-dublin/3846681

you've got an attic room and one would assume it's up to code up they are calling it a 4th bedroom, but @ 126 sq meters with that, the living space seems pretty small tbh.

No it's actual a 4 bed , there a a few if them in the estate. The 126 doesn't include the attic.

They are easy to spot as the doors are beside each other, in the three bed they are at opposite ends. I viewed this house and there's actually plenty of living space its well laid out. The wardrobes and en suite upstairs are badly laid out.

They are standard spec and size of houses built around that time (1984)

You must be kicking yourself as in 2012 you could have got one for 190k, and they are over 400 now.

In my opinion from living in the area they are very different than the estates in Ballybrack.

Yes,4 beds and attic converted.living room is nice but the bedrooms are small...
    Thanks, raul

Decided not to go for it and focus our search efforts elsewhere ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    You must be kicking yourself as in 2012 you could have got one for 190k, and they are over 400 now.

In my opinion from living in the area they are very different than the estates in Ballybrack.

Not all I bought a bigger more solid house in far better location for just over €200k house worth just under €600k as per my last valuation. I think I done very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Good times are back, we're back taking about house prices :P

Decided not to go for it and focus our search efforts elsewhere ;)

Good decision they are poorly built house and not a great area.

• Advertisement

Good decision they are poorly built house and not a great area.

We will agree to differ, no complaints about the build quality and I've lived in three of them. And have yet to have a problem with any of them.

As for the location I think it's great , quiet estate, good amenities , very close to the beach, good public transport.

The build quality looked ok to me . Yes ylthese are old houses but the house itself was quite well maintained .
    The idea of finding the GF 3ft under water while you are away somewhere was enough to put off any plans we had..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jesus, we really live in a bubble in this area. Ballybrack gets a lot of stick and to hear some people talk, its made out to be worse than Ballymun on a bad night.

Jesus, we really live in a bubble in this area. Ballybrack gets a lot of stick and to hear some people talk, its made out to be worse than Ballymun on a bad night.

A bubble of tranquility and unicorns.

The build quality looked ok to me . Yes ylthese are old houses but the house itself was quite well maintained .
    The idea of finding the GF 3ft under water while you are away somewhere was enough to put off any plans we had..

Any of the houses that I viewed I found the walls to be paper thin. And the houses be on the small side for the price they were asking.

A bubble of tranquility and unicorns.

with lashings of Teddy's Ice cream :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah.. your nearest estate is Cromlech but didnt have the best rep back in my day, but would imagine its gentrified quite a bit.

Frankly there's nothing around bayview to hold anyones attention, no shop, garage, chipper etc.

Yeah.. your nearest estate is Cromlech but didnt have the best rep back in my day, but would imagine its gentrified quite a bit.

Frankly there's nothing around bayview to hold anyones attention, no shop, garage, chipper etc.

that would be my only issue with living there. I have a rule that i will only live within a short walk of a shop and a pub, of which that area has neither.

I didn't know about the flooding though, that would put me off somewhat

that would be my only issue with living there. I have a rule that i will only live within a short walk of a shop and a pub, of which that area has neither.

I didn't know about the flooding though, that would put me off somewhat

The texaco/Mace garage on shanganh road isn't to far nor is apple green or Centra.

• Advertisement

The texaco/Mace garage on shanganh road isn't to far nor is apple green or Centra.

you are obviously a lot more energetic than I am :D

Advertisement