Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trapping in freshwater rivers and lakes?

Options
  • 28-01-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to place this here or in fishing.

Is there anything worth trapping for in the freshwaters of Ireland? Any eel ? Crayfish etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

Can't trap eel as there protected don't know about certain stuff to trap but I'm sure there's loads of crayfish to trap etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

According to the National Parks and Wildlife Service the white clawed crayfish is protected by law.

See https://www.npws.ie/research-projects/animal-species/invertebrates/white-clawed-crayfish-austropotamobius-pallipes

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Beavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Fvck all crayfish left in ireland protected or not. 10yrs ago if i let softbait touch bottom in canal i had 50 50 chance of reeling it back with crayfish attached. It has beed few years since i saw single crayfish anywhere. Permitted or not i would leave crayfish alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

Mink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Signal crayfish are invasive so they can be caught and eaten. Met a fella years ago in blessington lake catching them. Says they're gorgeous to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Signal crayfish are invasive so they can be caught and eaten. Met a fella years ago in blessington lake catching them. Says they're gorgeous to eat.
    i didnt think there was signals in ireland, they'll destory whatever stocks of native crayfish if they spread,

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

There are no signal crawfish in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

epicmoe wrote: »
    Wasn't sure whether to place this here or in fishing.

Is there anything worth trapping for in the freshwaters of Ireland? Any eel ? Crayfish etc?

Thanks!

The only legal method of fishing in freshwater in Ireland is by rod and line, unless you are a licensed commercial trout fisherman on certain lakes in the midlands. Eel fishing is prohibited. Crayfish are a protected species under the Wildlife Act, trapping or interfering with them in any way is illegal.

Signal crayfish would be invasive if they got to these shores. There are no records of any signal crayfish in Ireland, and hopefully never will be. They carry crayfish plague, which they are immune to, but devastates white-clawed crayfish populations exposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Zzippy wrote: »
    The only legal method of fishing in freshwater in Ireland is by rod and line, unless you are a licensed commercial trout fisherman on certain lakes in the midlands. Eel fishing is prohibited. Crayfish are a protected species under the Wildlife Act, trapping or interfering with them in any way is illegal.

Signal crayfish would be invasive if they got to these shores. There are no records of any signal crayfish in Ireland, and hopefully never will be. They carry crayfish plague, which they are immune to, but devastates white-clawed crayfish populations exposed to it.

Never ever recorded in the 32 counties miss info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

blackpearl wrote: »
    Never ever recorded in the 32 counties miss info.

That's what he said! :confused:

Advertisement