Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a bow /equipment for novice.

Options
  • 29-01-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Halfway through my beginners archery course and starting to really enjoy it. Think I'll join the club and am starting to look into getting equipment. Where's the best place? The lads in the archery club said there's a guy in Trim who does a good package with SF equipment and all accessories for €200. Would that be the norm? Or should I get second hand stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 barney1

These guys are very competitively priced. alternativess dot com. Where are you doing the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Thanks, that site looks good but is there any packages or sets with everything I would need?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got my son his kit here: https://www.aimarchery.biz. Google archery shop Ireland, and you will find some alternatives, such as Archery Shop Ireland, Shooting style etc. Very difficult to recommend Master Archery as they are so slow to deliver, and difficult to contact. Quicks is another good UK site. Alternative as recommended above is a good shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

The lads in the archery club said there's a guy in Trim who does a good package with SF equipment and all accessories for €200
    Thats sounds about right, depending whats in the package. Normally I would say stay far far away from "all-in-one packages" as you will end up with a ton on junk rather than a few bits of quality gear.

Personally I would go with something like this to start:

SF Axiom Light Complete Bow

SF Axiom Plus Complete with sight and stabilizers and Fastflight string

Yes you will also need arrows and a cheap quiver, but you'll have gear that is honestly a million miles better than the other links you sent.

Get a bow with ILF limbs so you can upgrade easily (Personally I'd go with SF or Krossen)

Get 6 Aluminum Arrows to start with (Easton Jazz are a good cheap starting point @ around 6 euro each)

NOTE: DO NOT BUY FIBERGLASS ARROWS - Seriously.

A decent string - Fastflight or at least D97. 

A cheap Quiver

A cheap Bowstand

Yes, you'll end up paying a bit more. But you will thank me later as you'll have a modular rig where you can replace individual bits easily as you grow as an archer. 
    My two cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My advice would be to NOT buy any gear right now.

Wait till the begineers course is finished and spend some time shooting alonside some other archers. Nearly all clubs will let you use the club bows for a while after the course ends and you buy your own gear.

Keep an eye out for secondhand beginners kit, let your coaches and the committie guys know you're in the market and they may well know of someone selling stuff. Keep and eye on the Facebook pages 'archery ireland buy and sell' and 'Archery equipment for sale or swap Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

I agree with Wabbit Ears, don't buy anything until you know exactly what you need. Do you know your draw length? What poundage are you comfortable drawing?

In Dundrum Archers we have beginner recurve bows that beginners can borrow until they are sure they want to progress. We even went so far as to buy a second hand SF bow, arrows, quiver, stand and bag that can be borrowed too. Ask the coaches for their advice and go from there

In Dundrum Archers we have beginner recurve bows that beginners can borrow until they are sure they want to progress. We even went so far as to buy a second hand SF bow, arrows, quiver, stand and bag that can be borrowed too. Ask the coaches for their advice and go from there
    [*]

If they'll let you do that then its certainly the best route - never even thought that would be an option. Over here in they charge $8 an hour to rent your basic (beat up mostly) kit excluding range fees :O

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am in the same situation, would archers recommend the SF brand or would Hoyt be better?

From my very limited knowledge, SF are a perfectly good starter brand. Hoyt would be a step up.

• Advertisement

Hoyt are higher end and cost more. You wont shoot better with a hoyt but you wont shoot worse so its down to personal preference and budget.

thank you, I'm coming to the end of my beginner course so looking for all opinions and advice.

On the last week of our beginners course we do all the measurements for the archers so they get the right size gear so wait till that section and if they don't do it ask to be measured up by your coach before buying anything.

they have mentioned that - not to get anything until we are all measured up - I'm trying to figure out the cost/budget for when I get measured up - I do want to stay with the sport, having a great time at it!

R11 wrote: »
    Its about the right price. The one I posted before included the Stabs and Sight for £160 ... You might not need them yet though. 
    Its also available here for £99 https://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/SF---Axiom
    Bow--540103.html No idea on the shipping cost.

Thanks for that,last link looks to be a very good price. I'll check out shipping.Could always use Parcel Motel or similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

200lb English longbow

The lads in the archery club have recommended I go over to Shooting Style in Trim where I'll get sized up and properly fitted out. That could be pricey(€275+) and I'm kinda broke. Could I just buy a decent riser online and bring it over to the guy in Trim? Seems better value online. Might try out different poundage limbs at next week's shoot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Try second hand stuff. There's an Archery Ireland Buy and Sell on Facebook. Also Ebay.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

The lads in the archery club have recommended I go over to Shooting Style in Trim where I'll get sized up and properly fitted out. 
    The archery trainers in the club should be able to tell you what you need to get so you can shop around at your leisure or online rather than sending you somewhere else IMHO.

With second hand stuff, I might just be buying someone's else's problems. For an extra €50,i can get brand new gear and upgrade. Bowsports.com that wasdeevey linked above seems to be best value. I can get SF axiom plus bow deal for £99. Then get basic sight, tab, chest guard, arm guard, 6 Easton Jazz arrows,stringer, basic quiver and bag for about €220 delivered.
    I emailed guy in Trim who said it'll be about €350 to kit me out.... And that's without bag /quiver.
    So I think I'll try out different limbs at next week's shoot to help me decide to go for 30,32 or 34lb limbs.

The lads in the archery club have recommended I go over to Shooting Style in Trim where I'll get sized up and properly fitted out. That could be pricey(€275+) and I'm kinda broke. Could I just buy a decent riser online and bring it over to the guy in Trim? Seems better value online. Might try out different poundage limbs at next week's shoot.

Get the club trainer to suggest what size bow you need i.e. 66 or 68 inch etc... And what length of arrows. Try different bows in the club to find the correct draw weight you are comfortable with starting off. Once you know all that you can buy a bow anywhere. All you have to do then is decide what way you want to start. You could get cheap limbs first or you might decide to go for intermediate limbs etc...

Yes, I'll do that next week so. Much better value online.

Last week done of beginners course, definitely gonna sign up. Shot at 24lbs today, felt fine. Trainers recommended 68" limbs. My draw length is about 30", have been using easton jazz 1816 so will probably stick with them. They're still recommending I get sized up in Trim but he's too expensive so I'm gonna get my kit online. Just unsure whether to start at 28lbs or 30lbs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Use the club kit for a while. Build up your strength, get your form correct at low poundage, put aside some money. Buy later.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Last week done of beginners course, definitely gonna sign up. Shot at 24lbs today, felt fine. Trainers recommended 68" limbs. My draw length is about 30", have been using easton jazz 1816 so will probably stick with them. They're still recommending I get sized up in Trim but he's too expensive so I'm gonna get my kit online. Just unsure whether to start at 28lbs or 30lbs.

Why are you looking at 28 or 30 pounders when you were comfortable with 24 ? Dont feel you have to go higher poundage because others are. Look this guy up on youtube "NUSensei" great tips for beginners.

I'm a big enough fella so figure I could handle 28lbs. I'll try different limbs again next week and decide then.

barney1 wrote: »
    Look this guy up on youtube "NUSensei" great tips for beginners.

Yeh, he's very good, watched a few of his videos.

• Advertisement

I'm a big enough fella so figure I could handle 28lbs. I'll try different limbs again next week and decide then.

Ok, but just don't rush into anything. If you are struggling with a bow you will never get your form right. Remember shooting a 30 pounder for 10 or 20 ends is a different ballgame than trying it out for five or ten minutes. Whatever you decide :D happy shooting

Advertisement