Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really bright star in the sky

Options
  • 29-01-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody can tell me what is the really bright star in the sky that I've been really noticing lately in the western sky. I notice it on my way home from work about 7 pm in the evenings

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Venus if I'm not mistaken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonka1963

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody can tell me what is the really bright star in the sky that I've been really noticing lately in the western sky. I notice it on my way home from work about 7 pm in the evenings

Thanks in advance

It's the planet Venus, brightest object in the sky apart from the sun and the moon. It's quite a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Is it especially close these days? Tonight it was huge , I thought it had to be something else at first, like the lights of a plane or something.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Is it especially close these days? Tonight it was huge , I thought it had to be something else at first, like the lights of a plane or something.

I'm in West Limerick if that makes any difference. Very clear skies and not much light pollution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

Thanks all for the answer. I kind of thought it might be but wasn't sure.

It is certainly eye catching all right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I'm in West Limerick if that makes any difference. Very clear skies and not much light pollution.

Noticed that just now ,very clear night to see the stars,
    co wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Thanks all for the answer. I kind of thought it might be but wasn't sure.

It is certainly eye catching all right
    I noticed it a few years ago, haven't seen it in a while until this winter. Is it only lately you noticed it? It's been around for at least a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

have you a good view of it there fineso.mom? good views of it here too from out west on the wild Atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I saw it this evening in the western sky and I had to get the binoculars as wasn't sure what it was.
    It is very big and bright with a yellow light (not like the white of the stars).
    Quite a sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I noticed it a few years ago, haven't seen it in a while until this winter. Is it only lately you noticed it? It's been around for at least a month.

Been noticing it for the last few weeks, but it really caught my eye coming out from limerick this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There was a lovely view of the moon with Venus below and Mars just above a few weeks ago. I dragged the telescope out froze my nuts off watching it.

I damaged the focusing barrel though. Sheared it a bit. Does anyone know where to get spares for skywatcher Explorer telescopes?

have you a good view of it there fineso.mom? good views of it here too from out west on the wild Atlantic

Yeah, I'm in a good spot, nothing around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Akrasia wrote: »
    There was a lovely view of the moon with Venus below and Mars just above a few weeks ago. I dragged the telescope out froze my nuts off watching it.

Put on the 'terminal' underwear tomorrow (Tue Jan 31), the three of them will be on display again, even closer together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Noticed in over the sky of a very light-polluted city last week. Still very bright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And forming a nice triangle tonight with the Moon and Mars:

moon%20triang_zpssyqp141p.jpg

Advertisement