Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Affordable Filter Grinder - Wilfa Svart Aroma.

• 29-01-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Having noticed a number or threads enquiring about affordable grinders I thought I'd share my thoughts on the Wilfa Svart Aroma (CGWS 130B) grinder that I recently purchased.

With my Baratza Encore giving up the ghost I was in need of a replacement but with my budget being quite limited my options were few.

After much research I stumbled upon the Svart. Reviews seemed nothing but positive so I decided to take a punt on it.

To say I was impressed is a understatement.

I purchased the grinder from Warrior Coffee for €129.85 delivered.

https://www.warriorcoffee.com/product/80/wilfa-svart-aroma-coffee-grinder-cgws-130b

Upon opening the packaging I was surprised by the build quality. For such an affordable grinder my expectation were relatively low. However the main body of the grinder is solid, aluminum I think. The hopper is well made plastic. My only sight gripe is the construction of the grounds bin which seems a little fragile. All in all I would consider it better built then the Encore.

I brew my coffee a variety of ways, Chemex, V60, Aeropress & Kalita. I do not make expresso and imagine that the Svart would not grind fine enough but that is to be expected for a 130 euro grinder.

The grind is super consistent. The adjustment dial, rather then numbered is labeled with brew types, Moka, Aeropress, Filter, French Press, Steap, each with 'micro' adjustment. These marking seem to be within the correct range for each method.

Cleaning the burrs is very straight forward. It is similar to the Encore in the you access the burrs by removing the hopper.

There is a timer but I don't really bother too much with it. The motor is really quite quiet, far quieter the the Encore. This is the second version of the grind with the motor being upgraded to run quieter and cooler then the first version.

The grinder also comes with a five year warranty.

I have read that Tim Wendelboe had some input into the design of the grinder but I could not confirmed this on Wilfas website but regardless I would highly recommend this grinder.

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Having noticed a number or threads enquiring about affordable grinders I thought I'd share my thoughts on the Wilfa Svart Aroma (CGWS 130B) grinder that I recently purchased.

With my Baratza Encore giving up the ghost I was in need of a replacement but with my budget being quite limited my options were few.

After much research I stumbled upon the Svart. Reviews seemed nothing but positive so I decided to take a punt on it.

To say I was impressed is a understatement.

I purchased the grinder from Warrior Coffee for €129.85 delivered.

https://www.warriorcoffee.com/product/80/wilfa-svart-aroma-coffee-grinder-cgws-130b

Upon opening the packaging I was surprised by the build quality. For such an affordable grinder my expectation were relatively low. However the main body of the grinder is solid, aluminum I think. The hopper is well made plastic. My only sight gripe is the construction of the grounds bin which seems a little fragile. All in all I would consider it better built then the Encore.

I brew my coffee a variety of ways, Chemex, V60, Aeropress & Kalita. I do not make expresso and imagine that the Svart would not grind fine enough but that is to be expected for a 130 euro grinder.

The grind is super consistent. The adjustment dial, rather then numbered is labeled with brew types, Moka, Aeropress, Filter, French Press, Steap, each with 'micro' adjustment. These marking seem to be within the correct range for each method.

Cleaning the burrs is very straight forward. It is similar to the Encore in the you access the burrs by removing the hopper.

There is a timer but I don't really bother too much with it. The motor is really quite quiet, far quieter the the Encore. This is the second version of the grind with the motor being upgraded to run quieter and cooler then the first version.

The grinder also comes with a five year warranty.

I have read that Tim Wendelboe had some input into the design of the grinder but I could not confirmed this on Wilfas website but regardless I would highly recommend this grinder.

J.
    excellent post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

Great post thanks. I'm finally going to give up hand grinding each morning and this looks perfect for my filter needs. I already have an Iberital MC2 for espresso and I don't want to take up more counter space with TWO grinders but I haven't found one that will cover all my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Just to update, after 18 months of constant use, 4 brews a day, the grinder is still running as well as the first day I got it. I really cannot find fault with it.

Advertisement