Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need property for son

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Seeing it from both sides.. if they are working then they need to be in that area. I had to move 200 miles this year as the only property I could afford was up here. It is not something to be undertaken lightly but I knew why my ll needed the house and we got on well. Just moved as soon as I could.
    pilly wrote: »
    I see what you're saying Graces7 but it's not a private LL's problem to provide accommodation for someone just because they can't find somewhere else.

The OPs son needs to live there. I'm going to hazard a guess that it will be for college. Should the OP have to go out of his/her way to find and pay for accommodation for their son because this woman needs to live in that area?

It's possible to have sympathy for the tenants situation, but only up to a point. 6 months notice on top of the official notice is plenty of time to look for something. But any sympathy I may have had for the tenant evaporated when the locks were changed.

OP, hopefully you get sorted. I hope it's not too far a journey for you to travel up and down to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I don't understand. Why are you fixing something that could potentially expedite their departure. (boiler)

We are aware of landlords responsibilities but this is where you need to play hardball. You can claim you tried to contact the tenant multiple times to fix it yet they never responded to your calls and emails.
    Or say that you've tried to enter the property with a plumber but that your keys don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

One option OP is not to get the heating fixed. Ignore private calls and numbers you are unfamiliar with. How were you supposed to know the heating was not working when you didn't get a call from the tenant... You tried to contact here with no success

Get a solictor ASAP. You have possibly a good bargaining chip. They have heating that isnt working, she changed the locks and is refusing to speak to you.

I would also start sending her emails and texts message as proof of what you sent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't understand. Why are you fixing something that could potentially expedite their departure. (boiler)

We are aware of landlords responsibilities but this is where you need to play hardball. You can claim you tried to contact the tenant multiple times to fix it yet they never responded to your calls and emails.

Because if OP does everything completely right from their side then they've a better case with the RTB. This could be a ploy on the part of the tenant to claim that repairs weren't made.

OP, did you get any legal advise or representation yet? Someone mentioned earlier that if the tenants don't change the locks back you could change their notice to 28 days so this might speed things up? Seek the advise as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It wont really expedite anything. This tenant sounds like she would just fix the boiler herself and stop it out of the rent. But I would absolutely use the occasion to gain access to the property and read her the riot act. If she's not home, make a cup of tea and sit down and wait. And don't go alone.

• Advertisement

sreilly37 wrote: »
    There should be a bad tenants registry online with all these people's names listed :mad:

Agree 100% but for both tenants and landlords/properties.

LinkedIn meets Glassdoor but for the property market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Agree 100% but for both tenants and landlords/properties.

LinkedIn meets Glassdoor but for the property market.

You can view the results of disputes on the RTB website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Cath54 wrote: »
    Only got this call today so we are on to it. Have got someone for Mon

Sorry to say i think you're being daft here acting on the request of someone with whom you have no relationship or obligation to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

pilly wrote: »
    Because if OP does everything completely right from their side then they've a better case with the RTB. This could be a ploy on the part of the tenant to claim that repairs weren't made.
    Granted but as we have discussed, even if the landlord wins the case you still cannot have the tenant removed. I would not expect a tenant in this scenario to leave quietly without major damage being inflicted on the property. We are talking amount an obscene amount of time and money wasted.

All the landlord has to do is show is that they made a reasonable effort to contact the tenant but they didn't respond.

Unfortunately even if you win an RTB case you have not won anything. Its only the start and the tenant knows this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Oh I'd love to leave the feckers freezing their arses off in the house. But legally, would it make things easier or harder for the OP? I think legal advice is needed here before the plumber comes near the house.

Oh I'd love to leave the feckers freezing their arses off in the house. But legally, would it make things easier or harder for the OP? I think legal advice is needed here before the plumber comes near the house.
    IMO the most difficult, emotionally draining and most expensive way to resolve this is by following the letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Resident

what you have done is fine. As long as you give the tenant notice. If you feel bad you can look for alternative accommodation for them but its best to being professional about it. You need the place for your son. You have done nothing wrong. Its one of those things. Suggest places where she can get accommodation. I am sure she has family/friends she can stay with and look elsewhere. Just give her a reference to help her get another place of accommodation.

<quote snipped>

Agreed. Its sending the wrong message completely to this tenant. I'd expect them to dig their heels in even more with this little win for them having it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Send a letter to the tenant stating that you received a phone call and ask if this information is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Are you mad fixing the boiler?
    I would be getting a plumber to go to the house and pretend to fix it but make sure it can never be used again.the cost of a new boiler is minimal compared to what this cúnt will cost you in the long run.

This can be seen as an illegal eviction possibly. Cutting off the power and gas to a house will get you in trouble with the RTB.

Simply never fixing a broken boiler on the other hand as you were never aware of it won't...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Send a letter to the tenant stating that you received a phone call and ask if this information is correct.

Ring first, if they don't answer leave a message if possible, and point out in the letter that you've tried contacting them by phone.

Also make note in the letter that you can't discuss anything about the tenancy with a third party, that all issues will need to be confirmed with them, and the failure of the tenant to make or accept direct communication is ultimately going to delay you as you endeavor to rectify any problems in the property at the earliest possible opportunity.

Finally, remind them of their moving out date in the letter (if not yet passed) and that you will need to inspect the property before returning their deposit.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Patww79 wrote: »
    All good, but I'd go letter first. Takes longer and hopefully they're freezing their holes off.

They're not answering calls, the letter is a given, just adding documentary evidence that you've been frustrated in your efforts to be the best landlord possible and add the extra points about being unable to follow up on anything not directly confirmed with the tenant. All communication should finish with the reference to the termination date reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Browney7 wrote: »
    Is it really the best course of action to get a plumber in when they aren't paying rent??
    The tenant is not yet overholding and is still the legal tenant of the ptoperty. Failing to fulfil the legal responsibility of the LL to maintain the property could open up the OP to a world of trouble.

However, as others have pointed out, if the locks have been changed it might make it difficult for the LL to gain access to fix the boiler. If a plumber were to turn up Monday and be unable to gain access I would advise the tenant (after the fact) that they are responsible for the wasted callout charge in addition to the notice to reinstate the original locks. It might take a while if the tenant is uncooperative. I'd suggest a text asking to reinstate the locks, followed by a recorded delivery letter, followed by notice of termination if the locks aren't changed back.

If the original locks are not reinstated I'd also consider charging the cost of replacement locks to the tenant especially if the original locks, as is frequently the case in rented property, had high security keys which can only be copied by a registeted locksmith at the request of the property owner or key securityid holder.

On the other hand it is the OP's property and do they want to run the risk of it and it's contents suffering damage from damp or mould and mildew if the boiler is left unattended to for too long. I could see them having little comeback (or sympathy from the RTB) in trying to withold any of the deposit to cover consequential damage if the boiler was left unfixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cath54 wrote: »
    A stranger called us to say boiler was broken and she had keys to let plumber in to fix if we could organise it as the locks have been changed. Tenant will not communicate with us all of a sudden. Don't know who this other person is. Says she is a friend

I wouldn't have any dealings with any stranger. You have no contract with a stranger.

If the tenant contacts you, then you can investigate that, but I certainly wouldn't be sending any plumber to the property without speaking directly to the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

76544567 wrote: »
    They wouldn't be for me. I would move on to the next applicant and let the ones who haven't rented before get a history with someone willing to take a risk on them.

Our last landlord was happy with three years of mortgage statements. I wish I had got references from his last three tenants but it worked out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

OP have I got this right- there is a pregnant woman living in your property who you would like to depart by the Summer, but she still is a legal paid up tenant as of today, you are worried about the future and the possibility of her over-holding?
    If tha is the case, I don't see why you are being advised to not fix the boiler.
    Another thing, If I'm wrong correct me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not as I sought legal advice on this matter when I was renting a house-a person who rents a unit can change the locks during their period of rental, as long as they change them back to the original locks when leaving. If I rented a house tomorrow, bloody right I'd change the locks, it's common sense in a rented house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Resident

its never your home when you rent its the person that owns it remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Patww79 wrote: »
    All well and good but she needs to maintain contact if she wants work done, not have it go through some stranger to the landlord. That alone says enough about where she's heading with this.

Is that really a precondition on having a boiler fixed? I appreciate the OP Is in a difficult position but their obligations do not disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Our last landlord was happy with three years of mortgage statements. I wish I had got references from his last three tenants but it worked out OK.

You go girl.

Advertisement