Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need property for son

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

TresGats wrote: »
    OP have I got this right- there is a pregnant woman living in your property who you would like to depart by the Summer, but she still is a legal paid up tenant as of today, you are worried about the future and the possibility of her over-holding?
    If tha is the case, I don't see why you are being advised to not fix the boiler.
    Another thing, If I'm wrong correct me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not as I sought legal advice on this matter when I was renting a house-a person who rents a unit can change the locks during their period of rental, as long as they change them back to the original locks when leaving. If I rented a house tomorrow, bloody right I'd change the locks, it's common sense in a rented house.

She hasnt cleared the changing or quality of locks with the landlord.
    Nor has she handed over the keys to the locks to the landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

TresGats wrote: »
    If tha is the case, I don't see why you are being advised to not fix the boiler.
    Another thing, If I'm wrong correct me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not as I sought legal advice on this matter when I was renting a house-a person who rents a unit can change the locks during their period of rental, as long as they change them back to the original locks when leaving. If I rented a house tomorrow, bloody right I'd change the locks, it's common sense in a rented house.

Residential Tenancies Act 2004
    16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—

(l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent of the landlord which consent the landlord—

(i) in case the alteration or improvement consists only of repairing, painting and decorating, or any of those things, may not unreasonably withhold,

(ii) in any other case, may, in his or her discretion, withhold.

17.—(1) In section 16 —

“alter or improve”, in relation to a dwelling, includes—

(a) alter a locking system on a door giving entry to the dwelling

The tenant can only change the locks with the written consent of the landlord which the landlord is under no compulsion to agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

<quote snipped>

I think there is soon for sympathy on both sides. If the OP goes down the route of not fixing a boiler in this weather there are then two sides behaving poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Move to evict immediately based on her changing the locks.

Patww79 wrote: »
    The boiler isn't broken. The tenant would have let the landlord know if it was broken, the landlord wouldn't know otherwise.

This all sounds great on an internet forum but may seem a bit different saying it in a formal legal setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Move to evict immediately based on her changing the locks.

I fully agree the quicker you get the ball rolling on eviction the better.also op start seeking alternative accommodation for your son as this could and probably will drag on

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes, it is. It's a breach of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, section 16

I understand it is a breach of the Act. Does it therefore follow that it is a basis for eviction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Remember you need to be consistent. If you're not believing this stranger saying that the boiler is broken why would you believe them saying that the locks have been changed?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Remember you need to be consistent. If you're not believing this stranger saying that the boiler is broken why would you believe them saying that the locks have been changed?

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Why would you legitimise this third party? I'd contact the tenant through text saying you received a weird message off a stranger and ask is everything OK. Why would you seek to fix this for a person who is attempting to **** you over?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

h2005 wrote: »
    Why would you legitimise this third party? I'd contact the tenant through text saying you received a weird message off a stranger and ask is everything OK. Why would you seek to fix this for a person who is attempting to **** you over?

I wouldn't get into texting at all. Recorded phone calls and letters only. And only deal with the person who rented the house.
    And if they stop paying rent, then take a no money in, nooney for repairs stance from here on in too.

h2005 wrote: »

That sounds sensible. Probably if the tenant then asks for this third party to act as a proxy the OP will need to deal with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I understand it is a breach of the Act. Does it therefore follow that it is a basis for eviction?

The tenant has to be given a written warning and a reasonable opportunity to remedy the situation before it becomes a basis for eviction.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The tenant has to be given a written warning and a reasonable opportunity to remedy the situation before it becomes a basis for eviction.

Thanks. Thought that was probably the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks. Thought that was probably the case.

Give 14 days to reinstall the ORIGINAL locks. Then if she has failed to do so, begin eviction.
    Do not accept a set of keys for the new locks.

Landlords get screwed if they do this.
    You need to be tough with this <mod snip> tenant.

Advertisement