Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing Test

Options
  • 29-01-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm concerned about hearing in my left ear, my inclination is that it's somewhat diminished in recent years due to a work related incident, a cursory use of a hearing puretone test app has confirmed my suspicion on this (obviously I'm aware of the limitations here). I've mild tinnitus to boot in same ear, though that's not my chief concern.

So, where should I go for a pro assessment? Is my GP my best port of call? Or should I go straight for an audiologist? I contacted one who said I didn't necessarily need referral. Or are Specsavers and the like of use?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go to an audiologist. They will do a free check, if you don't feel happy about what they tell you you can go somewhere else for another test. I have not heard anything negative about Hidden Hearing, except they will damn you with advertising, phone calls etc. I was not impressed by Specsavers, though I use them for eye checks. There are other audiologists out there, you need to ask around locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I second the audiologist. Deafhear and Bonovox have places around the country. Have used the latter for hearing tests, and have bought hearing related gadgets from the former (and have heard that they are professional).

Never heard anything good about Hidden Hearing, and that they will harass you after you leave. Thus I recommend people to not send their elderly to there.

Specsavers... have not heard anything either way, but AFAIK they don't have any support locally, so anything at all goes wrong with the hearing aid, it'd need to be sent to the UK. Having being able to have someone in Ireland fix small issues is great, but that's personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The above link should be to bonavox.ie

Bonovox is the U2 thing :o

Advertisement