Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymoneen Road, Knocknacarra

Options
  • 29-01-2017 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I hope this is the right place to ask, but please feel free to move / close if not!

Hoping to move soon, but am not really very familiar with lots of areas of Galway. I was just wondering if anyone knew much about either Sli Gheal or Leas na Mara in Knocknacarra?

From rudimentary Googling, both seem like nice areas, but I was just wondering if anyone could offer any firs-hand advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Both large estates with a mixed demographic of residents. I know a few lovely people who live there but, as with most estates, there are a few residents who cause trouble. Large proportion of rental properties in the areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

That's one story and while there are elements of truth in it, it's not reflective of the overall context. Used in isolation, I don't think it's helpful to the OP's question.

I live in the area and overall, as stated by another poster, there is a good mix of tenants with many families. It is a nice place to live and both estates are looked after relatively well. I have not encountered any major issues and it's not somewhere I would deem unsafe in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was going to post something to that effect but he did specifically mention that estate and that news item is relatively recent. I live just down the road and other than some vandalism to bus shelters a couple years ago and the standard risk of burglary I think of this as a good area. Don't know too much about the other estate mentioned except my kids went to creche there and I never got any impression other than it being nice and quiet but it was (and is still) a relatively new site so perhaps that has changed as more people moved in.

On the whole, bad neighbours can ruin anything and if you are sandwiched between rentals or social housing you run the risk of a bad neighbour moving in at any point. Make sure to talk to your future neighbours in person and do the usual due diligence.

Usual Galway advice is to work on the same side of the river as you work on to cut down your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I've been living in Sli Gheal over 10 years and it's a lovely quiet estate.
    The estate has been kept in very good condition by the management company and the fees charged are very reasonable IMO for what you get in return.
    There are a number of rental properties, but those that I'm aware of are long term renters.
    There are also a lot of owner occupiers who have been in place since it was built.

I'm not aware of any anti-social behaviour in all the time I've been here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭smurfette2212

Thank you everyone! I had seen that article, and whilst it isn't very old, I thought perhaps it wasn't fair reflection of the estate as a whole.

I definitely think getting to know potential neighbours would be a good idea.

Thanks again, all!

Advertisement