Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fold up bike on aer lingus

Options
  • 29-01-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I will be travelling to Santiago, Spain in March with Aer Lingus. I have a small foldup bike I am going to bring with me and was wondering if anyone had experience with travelling with one of these? Should I declare it as a bike and pay the standard bike fee, or could I check it in as regular cabin luggage with no hassle and save a few shekels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think I'd put it into a suitcase and run it through checked-in luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If you can fit it in a case and the case is within size and weight limits, then it qualifies as standard hold luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I have brought a Dahon foldie on two trips as normal checked luggage. I have brought it to Seattle and Miami from Cork (connecting through Heathrow both times). Both Cork flights were Aer Lingus, flights from UK to States were with BA.

The good news: If you can fit it in a standard case, then it can be taken as normal luggage.
    The bad news: Its practically impossible to get a folding bike to fit in a case that matches the specification without some dis-assembly.

I removed the wheels and unscrewed the fork. It takes about 30 minutes to take apart / reassemble. It then fits in large luggage bag I already had - I did not buy it specifically for the bike. I pad it with lots of cardboard and it weighs just under 20 kg (bike is about 12-13kg).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What do you do with the suitcase when you arrive, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Chuchote wrote: »
    What do you do with the suitcase when you arrive, though?

I'm travelling for work, not touring. So I just pick up rental car and go to the hotel. :-)

But I bought a rack for the Dahon and it can take panniers, so it would be possible to do a couple of days touring on it. In that case, I'd look into other options. Maybe a disposable bag, or leave the bag somewhere and collect on the way back, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

It seems unlikely you'd be able to fit a fold up bike in a cabin bag and even if you did, it would surely be over the weight limit, unless it was some sort of Carbon bling fold up thing. Best thing to do would be to get a normal check-in bag, stick the bike in it, wrap your other stuff (clothes?) in some plastic bags and stuff them in with the bike along with a bit of bubble wrap. You'll probably have to disassemble the bike to some extent - I Imagine it would fit in a suitcase better without pedals for example. So, you'll also need to stick a few tools in the case. One thing I wouldn't do is use a bike case as this just draws attention to the fact that you are travelling with a bike and makes it more likely you will be charged more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Koobcam wrote: »
    It seems unlikely you'd be able to fit a fold up bike in a cabin bag and even if you did, it would surely be over the weight limit, unless it was some sort of Carbon bling fold up thing. Best thing to do would be to get a normal check-in bag, stick the bike in it, wrap your other stuff (clothes?) in some plastic bags and stuff them in with the bike along with a bit of bubble wrap. You'll probably have to disassemble the bike to some extent - I Imagine it would fit in a suitcase better without pedals for example. So, you'll also need to stick a few tools in the case. One thing I wouldn't do is use a bike case as this just draws attention to the fact that you are travelling with a bike and makes it more likely you will be charged more.

Even at that, I can imaging airport security having something to say about the chainrings being able to be used as a weapon or similar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Now what's needed is a fold-up suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So many variables here OP. Airport security is as a big factor now. I have checked in a Brompton in a "Soft" Brompton Bag as regular luggage with Aer Lingus. Still goes through the "Oversize luggage" in Dublin Airport. It is same size as a LARGE Suitcase.
    Would not pass for "Carry on" for majority of major airports or airlines due to weight as Koobcam outlined - unless perhaps you are travelling 1st Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This fella can get his Brompton onto planes in the USA no problem. Puts it in overhead storage and all.
    brommie%20on%20airplane.600.jpg
    http://www.foldabikes.com/CurrentEvents/Story/Dembart.html

(Not saying that that will be your experience if you try it on Aer Lingus.)

Advertisement