Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap lunches and dinners ideas?

Options
  • 29-01-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

I recently did a month long budget and was amazed at how much im spending on dinners and lunch in work, lots of fancy coffee and dropping off to Spar on way home to buy a cooked dinner. I want to reign this in now as its more habit than anything. I started by buying some wraps in Aldi plus bulk ham and cheese, dinners for the week sorted.
    Any tips on how to have a varied meal plan without breaking the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

I make Bolognese , enough for 3 days for 2,also roasts a chicken,plus spuds,use half the chicken for curry, plus every other week,a beef stew,2 and a half kilos, with veg,and spuds,4 days for 2,all gets separated into containers,for freezer/fridge,and a weeks cooking in a morning, defrost when needed,bingo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Loadsa frugal meal ideas out there on the internet. Have you tried finding them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Check here for a few ideas!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I make Bolognese , enough for 3 days for 2,
    I do this, without much sauce on it, then store it in glass jars in the fridge. I eat it with various things so its not the same old thing. e.g. I put it in burger or hotdog buns like a "sloppy joe", or obviously pasta, or on top of chips -sort of like taco chips, you can add chilli sauce & cheese. Or have it mixed with chopped up cabbage.

There is a cooking forum and things like this get asked the odd time.

It might not be focusing on cheap stuff but there is often discussion on how to cook in batches and what freezes well, which often happens to be cheap enough meals.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1761

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do have you cooking facilities in work?
    I make vats of soup - so cheap and tasty and you can freeze portions too.
    with a homemade sandwich, it really bulks up.
    check out different soup recipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Plus, in addition to making batches of soups and stews, on your way home in the evening check out the sections of the supermarket where they have foods close to a sell-by date. Many foods keep at least a week beyond the date, even yogurt. Vegetables can such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and lettuce can be refreshed in a little water.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I agree , homemade soup and sandwiches are possibly the cheapest lunch you can bring to work.

Advertisement