Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preferred cake for carving/novelty cakes?

Options
  • 29-01-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi bakers!

I'm going to create my first carved cake for my son's birthday (nothing too complex - just a tractor), but am second guessing my usual go-to sponge recipe as it may be too light.

Does anyone have a tried and tested cake recipe that holds up to carving? Or should i just go with a madeira?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm not a baker myself, but I would have thought that a dense sponge cake would be good for carving. Cheaper than a madeira cake too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The sponge in this traybake is a great consistency, nice and sturdy and would stand up to being carved:

https://selfraiseflower.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/recipe-151-all-in-one-sponge-traybake/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kash wrote: »
    Hi bakers!

I'm going to create my first carved cake for my son's birthday (nothing too complex - just a tractor), but am second guessing my usual go-to sponge recipe as it may be too light.

Does anyone have a tried and tested cake recipe that holds up to carving? Or should i just go with a madeira?

Great idea; good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP how did it work out? Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

It worked out well! I'll post a pic once I'm in front of my PC, can't figure out how to do it from my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Here it is! The finish isn't as polished as I would like, but I'm still happy with it. And my son was delighted!

Advertisement