Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International UCI events in US with Muslim ban?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

TGD wrote: »
    I guess a lot of us are trying to figure out the implications of Trump's actions but I'm wondering how the UCI can now sanction any international evens in the US (world champs, World Tour, World Cups etc) when they are not open to all UCI countries, especially when religion is implicated.
    Is it naive to think that international sports events should be open to all competitors from the affiliated countries?

The uci has just held the worlds in Qatar ffs. I think the US (even Trumps version) will be ok by those standards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The executive order is completely nuts. It also omits nationalities of persons who actually did commit atrocities in the US (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE), while nobody from the countries on the ban list has committed atrocities. Coincidentally, Egypt, Saudi and UAE are all places where Trump has large business interests.

The attempt to say it's not a "Muslim ban" would be more convincing if members of the administration didn't come along a day or so later and say they might exempt Christians. And if Rudy Giuliani didn't run his mouth off on TV, saying that Trump asked him how he could legally institute a Muslim ban.

Anyway, Steve Bannon seems to be driving most of this lunacy. He wrote the inauguration speech, and all the controversial executive orders. Since he used to run what is essentially a White Supremacist website, it's not naive to read certain motivations into his policies.

Incidentally, the USA isn't a basket case. But it has reached a point where it requires a party that has relatively few principles apart from tax cuts for the wealthy to constrain a man who has strong despotic tendencies and an total inability to face up to realities he doesn't like. It's not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Incidentally, the USA isn't a basket case. But it has reached a point where it requires a party that has relatively few principles apart from tax cuts for the wealthy to constrain a man who has strong despotic tendencies and an total inability to face up to realities he doesn't like. It's not looking good.

The real question is how fcuked up a political system is that gives people a choice
    between Trump and Clinton; Bukowski gets more correct every 4 years, warm/cold sh1t indeed

How desperate, confused and alienated an electorate must be to not be tearing the place apart, and instead elect this lad.

This is the real story in the states, and how it has changed over the years such that the American Dream is a fairytale for huge sections of society
    http://fortune.com/2015/09/30/america-wealth-inequality/

but the reality tv characters will keep people from looking there

There is no reasonable comparison between Clinton and Trump. Clinton is an overly secretive, hard-to-love candidate. Trump is a vindictive bully, with a "special advisor" who is a White Sumpremacist, and who has stated in interviews that the wants to break up the EU and NATO. Even Bush 43, whose team also had delusions of ignoring reality, would be preferable to Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There is no reasonable comparison between Clinton and Trump. Clinton is an overly secretive, hard-to-love candidate. Trump is a vindictive bully, with a "special advisor" who is a White Sumpremacist, and who has stated in interviews that the wants to break up the EU and NATO. Even Bush 43, whose team also had delusions of ignoring reality, would be preferable to Trump.

For the American electorate there was a reasonable comparsion; and they chose Trump in spite of what he is, that's the point.

The level of hatred many Americans hold for the Clintons isn't something you see in our media. I have two siblings with US passports and the low regard their circle had for Clinton was quite a shock for me; that's a group of people from both main parties and non party.

I never said Clinton was a likeable candidate. I'm well aware that she has popularity issues. People are prepared to believe the most insane things about her, on top of her real flaws.

But they are nothing compared to this guy.

(As is traditional now, I should say that Trump got three million fewer votes. Not that matters, but it does put suggest that a large amount of luck got Trump to the White House, rather than any great fervour for him as a candidate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Hey guys, maybe best to keep it to the topic which is more about the UCI (and other sporting governing bodies) than the USA - i.e. should the UCI should sanction world events in a country which bars some athletes arbitrarily for completely non-sporting factors. Personally I don't think they should.

Yeah, sorry for wandering off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yeah Jeesch, you guys... build a wall will ya... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement