Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual busy place to eat with good atmosphere

Options
  • 29-01-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Not finding a sticky thread for places to eat in Galway so hopefully OK to start a new post looking for a restaurant recommendation.

Will be in Galway on Friday with my brother and looking for a recommendation on somewhere to eat. Must be fun, busy and lively but with very decent and interesting food, good beer and in the centre. A very good gastro pub would be ideal but any good options will work.

Neither of us know Galway at all so your help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Try Massimo: http://eatgastropub.com/pages/menus.html

Food is good and there are more pubs around it if you want to move on.

See this thread also: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102261607

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Massimo and Biteclub for your brief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Murty rabbits is the place your looking for

https://m.yelp.ie/biz/murty-rabbitts-galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Murty rabbits is the place your looking for

https://m.yelp.ie/biz/murty-rabbitts-galway

not again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anywhere down quay street

Front door, buskers is good pub food.

The quays the same.

GeMelles if you want a restaurant.

All within 1 mins walk of each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We should have a sticky: Whatever your question, Murty Rabbitts is the answer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I assume Murty Rabbits is a thread joke here as I looked it up and is the complete opposite of what I am looking for! Looks like an pub for American Tourists and the food in the photos looks dire.

Massimo and Biteclub look good.

What is Dough Bros like?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I assume Murty Rabbits is a thread joke here as I looked it up and is the complete opposite of what I am looking for! Looks like an pub for American Tourists and the food in the photos looks dire.

Massimo and Biteclub look good.

What is Dough Bros like?

Rabbits is grand as a pub but foods not their speciality. Except to Whereisgalway who seems to own the place or something :-)

Dough bros aint a pub but is good pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

How about Tribeton or McGinns?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Papa Rich - busy, lively restaurant with excellent Asian food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Actually plus one for tribe ton.

Forgot to mention it.

Defo worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

DELI La TASCA. Tapas, Domnick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've eaten in Murty Rabbit's a few times, thought the food was more than adequate. Not a gastro pub by any means, but definitely respectable.

Have found Tribeton to be very hit and miss, McGinns is decent and has an okay range of craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My first thought would have been Massimo's as well. Food quite good, and a great pub.

Dough Bros do have beer but it's obviously not a pub, but the pizza is fantastic.

Plenty of good options mentioned though. Have never tried Murty Rabbittes but I'm now somewhat intrigued so I suppose that post has achieved it's aim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Tribeton great for drinks but hit and miss for food. I vote massimos or busker brownes/kirbys (restaurant attached to lively pub) for what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Cava is a good option if you like tapas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Blakes have good food and atmosphere but not the most extensive range of beer.. Lough keeper has good food, plenty of beers but the food is a little pricey for a lot of people..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

For a pub/food combo I've had several good experiences in Seven (Bridge St) and the Dáil Bar (Cross St/Middle St). More generous portions/better service than some of the others mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'd be recommending papa rich as well. Beautiful food and low prices . Although beer menu would be tiny but you have McGinns and the newly opened caribou a few doors down so you'd be spoilt for choice of beer in them afterwards.
    You would need to book papa rich right now thiough as it fills up fast.

Otherwise I'd recommend an Pucan .... Lovely food, staff and always nicely busy! Cracking smoking area too!

Whereisgalway has put me off murty rabbits, I just can't take it seriously when it's all he recommends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ArtyC wrote: »
    I'd be recommending papa rich as well. Beautiful food and low prices . Although beer menu would be tiny but you have McGinns and the newly opened caribou a few doors down so you'd be spoilt for choice of beer in them afterwards.
    You would need to book papa rich right now thiough as it fills up fast.

Otherwise I'd recommend an Pucan .... Lovely food, staff and always nicely busy! Cracking smoking area too!

Whereisgalway has put me off murty rabbits, I just can't take it seriously when it's all he recommends.

And you have recommended papa rich n Pucan several time, pot calling the kettle black springs to mind

And you have recommended papa rich n Pucan several time, pot calling the kettle black springs to mind

Papa Rich is widely known to do excellent food. Murtys less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Hold my hands up I love papa rich but I wouldn't recommend it to someone say looking for a carvery?! No matter what question is posed we already know what your answer is going to be 🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Murtys is lovely pub food if there's a match on but not worth parting the Nile if you just want a nice lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Hi everyone and thanks for all your suggestions. Read through them all and Eat Gastropub (Massimo) looks perfect. Love the small but interesting menu and has a good beer list. Papa Rich looks good too and we may grab Dough Bros on Saturday afternoon for lunch as we head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Hi everyone and thanks for all your suggestions. Read through them all and Eat Gastropub (Massimo) looks perfect. Love the small but interesting menu and has a good beer list. Papa Rich looks good too and we may grab Dough Bros on Saturday afternoon for lunch as we head home.

A solid plan. Bierhaus and the Universal are very good if you're in the Massimos neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Massimo do good pizza and suits your plan to get in early, grab some dinner, and stay on for the rest of the night without needing to move on. Don't worry if it feels big and empty depending on how early you start, it typically gets going later in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Fibber Magees

Advertisement