Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair refund due to serious illness?

Options
  • 29-01-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi folks
    We had flights booked with Ryanair for June this year,unfortunately my wife will be undergoing cancer treatment then so we will have to cancel.Do Ryanair refund under these circumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you have travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

Do you have travel insurance?

No didnt take out insurance at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What type of tickets did you buy? Will be in your terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Ryanair have really changed their tune, it used to be "tough shít", whatever the reason.

Best of luck to you and your wife with her treatment, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I got issued a refund when I couldn't travel due to serious illness, directly from Ryanair.
    All I needed to do was write a letter explaining what happened, I then attached my hospital records and a letter from my GP confirming I was unable to travel. I think I got a refund within a week or so.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Daludo all the very best with your wife's treatment.

Had a similar situation a year back. My Mother got pnumonia on a cruise that was ending in Southampton. I booked up flights and took out insurance with Allianz.

When she got to hospital the Doctor sent her home (in Yorkshire) because of the risk of acquired infection.

Cancelled flights put in a 14 page claim to Allianz. They said "Ah now, your Mother was sick, you didn't tell us, no cover."

I thought right lads - you're going to spend as much answering my e-mails and preparing a case for the ombudsman as you would if you had paid out.

They paid out ;). All the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

9or10 wrote: »
    Daludo all the very best with your wife's treatment.

Had a similar situation a year back. My Mother got pnumonia on a cruise that was ending in Southampton. I booked up flights and took out insurance with Allianz.

When she got to hospital the Doctor sent her home (in Yorkshire) because of the risk of acquired infection.

Cancelled flights put in a 14 page claim to Allianz. They said "Ah now, your Mother was sick, you didn't tell us, no cover."

I thought right lads - you're going to spend as much answering my e-mails and preparing a case for the ombudsman as you would if you had paid out.

They paid out ;). All the very best.

The OP doesn't have travel insurance so what is the relevance to your story?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP doesn't have travel insurance so what is the relevance to your story?

Thanks for your contribution Del.

The relevance is that despite whatever t&cs are applicable if you keep on being a PIA the company is likely to settle. Whoever you are talking to neeeds to understand that you have far more time and interest in writing the drivel than they have in answering it.

Just spotted this thread I started back in January. Thanks for all your replies and good wishes. My wife has fully recovered from her cancer and just to update, Ryanair paid out the full amount! Interestingly we also had a weekend away booked with Aer lingus which we had to cancel however they only paid us back 75% of the original amount. Better than nothing I guess:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

daludo wrote: »
    Just spotted this thread I started back in January. Thanks for all your replies and good wishes. My wife has fully recovered from her cancer and just to update, Ryanair paid out the full amount! Interestingly we also had a weekend away booked with Aer lingus which we had to cancel however they only paid us back 75% of the original amount. Better than nothing I guess:-)

Whatever about the flights, Delighted to hear your wife has made a full recovery,

Have a good Christmas!! :)

Advertisement