Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible avoidance of tax, insurance and NCT all together

Options
  • 29-01-2017 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

In Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, they have abolished discs on the window altogether. No insurance discs, no tax discs and no MOT discs. These are all done by ANPR cameras in the United Kingdom.

In the EU, you can drive with another EU license in that country with no obligation to change (apart from when the license expires). My Polish coworkers keep their Prawo Jazdy.

What's stopping a scanger who lives in the Republic driving a car on UK plates in the Republic and avoiding all of the aforementioned costs and just pretending he lives up North if stopped by a Garda. Like I said, he could easily have an Irish license and live in UK. If it's pared on the street, it could easily be a tourist from GB or a day-tripper from Belfast thus drawing no suspicion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dfeo wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, they have abolished discs on the window altogether. No insurance discs, no tax discs and no MOT discs. These are all done by ANPR cameras in the United Kingdom.

In the EU, you can drive with another EU license in that country with no obligation to change (apart from when the license expires). My Polish coworkers keep their Prawo Jazdy.

What's stopping a scanger who lives in the Republic driving a car on UK plates in the Republic and just pretending he lives up North if stopped by a Garda. Like I said, he could easily have an Irish license and live in UK.

Customs would eventually seize the car and cops would take for no insurance they have phones that can call the UK to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Customs would eventually seize the car and cops would take for no insurance they have phones that can call the UK to check.

It's only likely to happen though if the scanger comes to the attention of Gardaí though. I'd say this is a very common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

UK reg stands out so eventually they will get a tug and be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

dfeo wrote: »

What's stopping a scanger who lives in the Republic driving a car on UK plates in the Republic and avoiding all of the aforementioned costs and just pretending he lives up North if stopped by a Garda. Like I said, he could easily have an Irish license and live in UK. If it's pared on the street, it could easily be a tourist from GB or a day-tripper from Belfast thus drawing no suspicion.

He's in "international travel" so he would have to carry license, original v5C and original insurance cert at any time. If he did not have the insurance very, Gardai can simply take the car until it is provided.

When I moved back here last Spring, I was stopped at a checkpoint in the M11 (yes, motorway). It was just after the move over and had a VRT appointment made. After the first Garda waved me on, a second one pulled me over and she wanted to know how to check for tax given that there's no disc. Explained to her that given that the driver has to have a V5C, all she needed was him to show it to her and for her to check it on DVLA system on a smartphone!

Advertisement