Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfinished skirting

• 29-01-2017 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I picked up some unfinished skirting boards. Curious to know if I should let them climatise in the room before fitting? If yes, how long? I guess yes but I have seen some people saying it is not needed.

On a similar note, I believe I need knotting solution > primer > paint. Can I do that pre-climatising?

T.i.a.

Jumpa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Acclimatising the wood is going to do no harm, especially if it was stored in a damp warehouse beforehand. If you have the time, inclination and space it would be a great idea to treat the knots with a shellac knotting and pre-prime before fixing. Back priming (painting the faces that will be fixed to the walls) would be good too. Notmuch point in undercoating as there'll be plenty of prep work required after cutting and fixing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Acclimatising the wood is going to do no harm, especially if it was stored in a damp warehouse beforehand. If you have the time, inclination and space it would be a great idea to treat the knots with a shellac knotting and pre-prime before fixing. Back priming (painting the faces that will be fixed to the walls) would be good too. Notmuch point in undercoating as there'll be plenty of prep work required after cutting and fixing anyway.

Thanks.

They have been in the room about 12 hours now. Ok to start knotting / priming now? Followed by cutting then undercoat later on today (assuming primer has dried)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could certainly start with the shellac knotting, once that's dried you could prime. Presuming you're using an oil based primer you need to allow 16 hours before over coating. But as I said I don't see any point in undercoating before fixing- the boards will only get marked anyway and it's of no real benefit. Focus on the primer, it's a great opportunity to be able to prime them before fixing, saves some of the cutting in anyway.

Advertisement