Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to move shrubs

Options
  • 29-01-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

we have several shrubs and alphins to move so we can widen our drive way, when can they be moved safely without causing them to wither once replanted. thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now, at least while the weather is mild, is a good time. Have the new site ready, just lift the shrub and drop into the new hole with as much soil round the root ball as possible. You will probably need to stake them to stop them being blown about. How big are the shrubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 duckie80

should i not be afraid of the slight frost at night .. biggest shrub is about 3-4 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Moving larger shrubs is always a bit of a gamble. That said I moved a good few mature shrubs last summer and they survived - I was lucky with the weather, it was mild and damp, and I cut most of the foliage off. Again this is something you need to be able to judge and its a bit difficult to try and tell someone how to do.

At the moment shrubs are dormant, though where I am it has been so mild that they are coming back to life again very early, there could be some damage if we get a very cold spell. On balance a bit of frost at night should not be a problem, the ground is not frozen, you should be ok.

The main consideration is to prepare the planting hole, dig it big enough to drop a good sized root ball in, if the soil needs a bit of improvement dig in some compost and make sure the plant is well settled into the hole, but do not plant deeper than the original soil level.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 duckie80

great advice looksee, im so nervous about moving them cause they are beautiful shrubs and id hate to see them ruined, just have to take a gamble with your advice i should be able to give them the best chance.. cheers x

Advertisement