Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you smoke?

• 29-01-2017 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

The overall prevalence of cigarette smoking in 2014 was 19.5%. This compares to 21.5% for 2013. This equates to over 70,000 fewer smokers in 2014 compared to 2013. A higher percentage of men (21.6%) reported being smokers than women (17.6%).

According to this, almost 1 in 5 Irish adults smoke. I'd struggle to think that 1 in every 5 people I know smoke. Is is really that high? Do you smoke or are you a former smoker?

Do you smoke? 233 votes

I am a smoker (rollies)
    0%
    I am a smoker (cigarettes)
    8%
    ScumLordpq0n1ct4ve8zf5beertonsmookishboyLukker-SetOverSetStab*City3hn2givr7mx1scUndertowMyStubbleItchesplay4fun1GerB40brembo26SteoLTemptamperuUmekichiWhatsisnameeoinzy2000Anesthetize 19 votes
    I am a smoker (pipe)
    20%
    SleepyJupiterKid[Deleted User]colm_mcmORVEEytpe2r5bxkn0c1redfacedbearpudzey101SennaSEPT 23 1989Potential-MonkeDarth MelkoroebbrummytomlaughaohBilly86pillyJimmy GarlicMonkieSocks 47 votes
    I am a smoker (cigars / cigarillos)
    0%
    fizzypish 1 vote
    I am a smoker (mixture of above)
    1%
    Bobby42aj89ultra violet 5 3 votes
    I smoke only when drinking
    2%
    readyletsgoPretzillJ Mysterioanon71gitzy16v 5 votes
    I am a former smoker
    18%
    bohsmanTerrorFirmerm5ex9oqjawdg2iantormissmattyaidan24326RobbieTheRobber2smiggytechdivershellda1chosen1swiftbladeKnex*gramarCheensboWolf ClubGunslinger92nihicib2jtcelticRothko 42 votes
    I've never smoked
    49%
    VenomZascarbytethe_sycoBorderfoxdazberrychakothastimpsonknipexCinaPrivate JokerCanis Lupusconor222Knasher_feedback_jimbob_jonesMr.PloughokedokeamsHoagy 116 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am a smoker (pipe)
    I'm smoking right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'm 26 social smoked from 17-21 smoke about 10 a day from 22-25 then stop altogether and now use a vape when drinking only to stop me reaching for a fag don't smoke at all otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I am a former smoker
    This post has been deleted.

I am a former smoker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dfeo wrote: »
    According to this, almost 1 in 5 Irish adults smoke. I'd struggle to think that 1 in every 5 people I know smoke. Is is really that high? Do you smoke or are you a former smoker?
    You obviously don't know a lot of people then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

I've never smoked

Had to be done.

I am a former smoker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Deedsie wrote: »
    20% of the population responsible for littering our streets and countryside with theirs filthy butts. Should put a litter tax on it.

Dog ****ting is a lot worse than cigarette buds.

I've never smoked
    Bollocks ! I knew I was leaving out something !! Never-smokers will either have to abstain from the poll ... or failing that maybe a mod will kindly edit ... if possible :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've never smoked
    No option for spliffs?

20% of the population responsible for littering our streets and countryside with theirs filthy butts. Should put a litter tax on it.
    That could have a double meaning to a yank :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't smoke. I know six smokers. Used to be many more but the majority gave it up around 10-12 years ago. Only one current smoker I know is under 50.

I feel so excluded by your poll. Is this a sneaky ploy to pressure people into smoking so we fit in?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

Do you smoke? Then he adds a poll with no option for non smokers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nope, gave up about 8 or 9 years ago and delighted I did. The smell of stale smoke turns my stomach

I've never smoked
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Nope, gave up about 8 or 9 years ago and delighted I did. The smell of stale smoke turns my stomach

Any chance you can add the option ?? please and thank you ?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I quit 6 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Smoked turf back in the day when money was tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I regularly smoke about 2 rollies a month.
    Just to remind myself that I'm not a smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Smoked turf back in the day when money was tight.

Moss was cheaper

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

J Lo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Patww79 wrote: »

407797.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Never have and never will

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

Nearly 30 and been smoking half my life, just ordered a vaping kit so hopefully will be off the tasty little bast*rds soon. Gonna spark one now, all this talk of smokes has got the best of me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

"I only smoke cigarettes after making love. So back in England I'm a 20-a-day man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I had to watch both my parents die horrible deaths as a result of cancers from my fathers chain smoking.

I never have and never will smoke. I hate them with a passion.

I've never smoked
    TheBody wrote: »
    I had to watch both my parents die horrible deaths as a result of cancers from my fathers chain smoking.

I never have and never will smoke. I hate them with a passion.

Terribly sorry for what happened, I genuinely am. I hope you don't see the thread as insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Former smoker. Still miss them despite being off the things since November 2014, bar one slip up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Terribly sorry for what happened, I genuinely am. I hope you don't see the thread as insensitive.

No, you're fine. People are free to do as they wish. I don't shove my opinion down anyone's throat!!

Not everybody will die as a result of smoking but the studies say that many do. I often thought if smokers had to see what I had, they would stop in a heartbeat.

Both my parents were riddled with tumours caused by smoking. They died less than a year apart. They were on morphine to ease their pain in the last few weeks of their lives.

I'm a grown man but those images will haunt me until the day I die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've never smoked
    Would somebody edit the poll and add an 'I've never been a smoker' option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've never smoked
    Former smoker here. Was only a 1 or 2 a day smoker on normal days (and might go a day without them), but could easily get through a box when out drinking on weekends.

Quit in Sept 2014. Got a bit of a cough and ended up not smoking for 3 weeks while it cleared up. I was wondering what effect those 3 weeks would have had on me, so I downloaded an app for quitting and entered in my back-dated info. Turns out that after 3 weeks, I'd already met most of the motivational goals set for people quitting (You've had 6 smoke-free hours, etc).

Funny thing is that it has a (completely unscientific) estimate of the timed added on to your life as a result of quitting, and mine is at something like 4 days now (Because it was only 1 or 2 a day anyway I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've never smoked
    Former smoker. Still miss them despite being off the things since November 2014, bar one slip up.

I've been off them since 2010 but I don't think I'll ever stop missing them. It's probably a doob I'd miss more than a cigarette tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'll reset the poll with the extra choice but it'll take a few minutes.

Edit: Done now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've never even tasted a cigarette. Never even inhaled one.

Here's a message from a great actor from beyond the grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I've never smoked
    I used to smoke, at times heavily (20-30 a day), don't any more, stopped five and a half years ago. In my experience most of the ex-smokers of my age group have:

(1) stopped entirely
    (2) largely stopped, but are still occasional social smokers
    (3) doing that vaping thing

I am fortunate in that I don't miss the evil weed at all. I took many attempts to kick the habit.

I think at some level what finally clicked in for me was that I was briefly admitted to hospital in 2011 for depression, and going back home saw the lung cancer patients from the oncology unit outside......sitting in wheelchairs with their cigarettes in mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I've never smoked
    I smoked every day from the age of 15 to 30. My friends dad owned a supermarket so we could always get a pack no problem. Loved smoking from the first drag in the morning to the cig break at work to many nights in the pub often til 4 or 5am with a lovely icy vodka about 40 benson & hedges and great friends. I decided to try and give them up when I was 30 and actually didn't think I'd manage but I did and now this July I'll be 12 years smoke free. I still miss them the odd time but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

No I don't smoke, personally I have never seen the attraction of smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No, never was a smoker. Repulsive habit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I'm too young to smoke and I have never smoked. Won't ever smoke either. I hate people who smoke near me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I love smoking, smoking is great. There is much other worse addictions out there, like women. They cost a lot more than pack of those beautiful ciggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Never smoked myself. Grew up in smoke filled rooms and recently lived with a 2 pack-a-day smoker for a year, place and clothes reeked - can't stand the stench - rotten.

I've never smoked
    Started smoking way back. 10 fags, matches and those pk chewing gum's for £1. I reckon I was around end of 1st year so what 13/14?

Quit last year, nearly 30 years later, and haven't had one since....

There isn't a day that goes passed that I don't think about them. I used to and probably still do love smoking. Its one of the hardest things I've had to do in quitting them.

Starting smoking is probably the single most foolish thing I've done in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I am a former smoker
    Now I only smoke if I have a couple of drinks which might be once or twice a week or the odd day after a meal. A pack of 20 could last me up to a month and I often don't smoke for a week or two. I don't give them up, it just doesn't occur to me and I don't feel any temptation smelling other's cigarette smoke.

In fact I'd go as far as to say my smoking has also become healthier over the years as I don't smoke indoors meaning I get some freshair when I go out and I'm not breathing in second hand smoke inside after I've finished. Add to that that I smoke a 'light' cigarette, drink less so I'll smoke less and have been doing more exercise I'm beginning to think they might actually
    be good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, I do smoke. I just find it funny that the same's never said of drinking. ''I find it hard to believe that 4 out of 5 people I know, consume alcohol on a bi-weekly basis or more!''
    Why is it so much more acceptable, when it, too, causes cancer? And a considerate smoker won't affect those around them any more than a responsible drinker does.
    BTW I'm not anti-alcohol. I'd drink at the right time with the right company (for me), but I prefer smoking as a method of stress-relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I am a former smoker
    Yes, I do smoke. I just find it funny that the same's never said of drinking. ''I find it hard to believe that 4 out of 5 people I know, consume alcohol on a bi-weekly basis or more!''
    Why is it so much more acceptable, when it, too, causes cancer? And a considerate smoker won't affect those around them any more than a responsible drinker does.
    BTW I'm not anti-alcohol. I'd drink at the right time with the right company (for me), but I prefer smoking as a method of stress-relief.

I agree, it's amusing the way people can get up on a high horse over smoking and probably see no issue with polishing off a bottle of wine on a Wednesday night, for example.

I'm a very occasional smoker myself, a box would last me ages outside of nights out. I'd smoke 5 or 6 on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

smoking - a disgusting habit imho. why anyone starts in the first place is completely beyond me. it doesn't do anything for anyone - the person doesn;t look cool, mature, smart, whatever. their breath and clothes and hair and home and car smell. the gut-wrenching cough and phlegm clearing that occurs is disgusting. the cost over a lifetime is unbelievable. the affects it has on health is brutal. i could go on but i'll stop at - disgusting habit and i hate it.

I am a former smoker

• Advertisement
Advertisement