Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Arms Services

Options
  • 29-01-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.smallarmsservices.ie/

Anyone use, or know who?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Recently used this New Service, on my Benelli, very happy with the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

@Tackleberry, how much did this cost ? I looked at the site but they use various RFD,s as agents.

Odd,as under our various firearms acts you must be licensed as as a RFD to carry out any work on a firearm. Or I imagine in the direct employ of a RFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Would there be any issues changing the appearance of a gun. I'm thinking of the supers who refuse licenses because they don't like the look of certain firearms especially pistols. If for instance I got a camo pattern applied to my beretta pistol instead of the stock black colour could I be checked on it by my local FO. I know it's highly unlikely but you know the way some FOs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Unless you have a complete dickh""d of an FO/Super.So long as the caliber or mechanical function of the gun and serial number stays the same ,it can be any colour you want,and proably better off too as we all know "black guns" are a lot more dangerous obviously.:rolleyes:
    Be a great one in court.

Garda FO."Yes your honour,the accused's firearm is now more dangerous as he has painted it a hot bubblegum pink!"
    DJ "Why so mr gunowner?

Gunowner "As it is on my hunting rifle,it is non discernable to deer your honour,as they are colour blind, but also very visible to the human eye at great distances.So I did it for saftey reasons while hunting deer."

DJ."Cant say much for the accused's taste in colour on his firearms mind! But however...
    Garda xx Thanks for wasting the courts time.Case dismissed!."

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Anyone use, or know who?

Tis me Grizz.... I kept that under wraps since over the last few months as I wasnt too sure how well it would turn out.

Recently used this New Service, on my Benelli, very happy with the work done.

Thanks Tackleberry.
    Sika98k wrote: »
    @Tackleberry, how much did this cost ? I looked at the site but they use various RFD,s as agents.

Odd,as under our various firearms acts you must be licensed as as a RFD to carry out any work on a firearm. Or I imagine in the direct employ of a RFD.

Hi Sika, yes I have/work through a Restricted RFD licence. The reason I am using other RFDs if that they have the market in their area and can really help drive this to the level that I would be happy with.

Not only that I have a system set up so that a firearm gets refinished and returned within a 2 week period. The only exception being if an obscure colour is ordered then it may take longer.
    Luckysasha wrote: »
    Would there be any issues changing the appearance of a gun. I'm thinking of the supers who refuse licenses because they don't like the look of certain firearms especially pistols. If for instance I got a camo pattern applied to my beretta pistol instead of the stock black colour could I be checked on it by my local FO. I know it's highly unlikely but you know the way some FOs are.

As Grizz said above I dont think it would be an issue and to date have not seen it being an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Great thanks. Best of luck with your venture

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Snakey fecker ya!:D
    But best of luck with the new venture too.High time you got a break and got this on the road.
    From previous work that Gunhappy did for me a few years back on my virtual EDC rifle/shotgun combo,I have to say his work is grade A1 as is his attention to detail. So I couldn't recommend him enough.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Any ball park with cost of coating on 12g over and under? (vulgar question in respectable company I know!)

Any ball park with cost of coating on 12g over and under? (vulgar question in respectable company I know!)

Pm Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Is the website down? I tried to open the link but just get a blank page.

• Advertisement

Is the website down? I tried to open the link but just get a blank page.

Sorry im not aware of it being down at any stage today but its working now. Ive opened it on both my android and laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Sorry im not aware of it being down at any stage today but its working now. Ive opened it on both my android and laptop.

Just tried it now and works OK was hanging on me when I tried the first time

Adding new dealers all the time..... follow us on Facebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

As a previous customer who got a tikka t3 varmint done, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend gunhappy. Perfect job which was very durable.

Vegeta wrote: »
    As a previous customer who got a tikka t3 varmint done, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend gunhappy. Perfect job which was very durable.

Jesus how long ago was the that ? Tactical OD Green stock and tactical black barrel and action :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jesus how long ago was the that ? Tactical OD Green stock and tactical black barrel and action :P

Close, metal work was all OD green and stock was matt black. Must be approaching a decade at this stage :eek: I traded the rifle about 2 years ago but I still miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Mate of mine is looking to get a scope coated in black (for some reason he bought a silver coloured one originally. Can this be done ?

freddieot wrote: »
    Mate of mine is looking to get a scope coated in black (for some reason he bought a silver coloured one originally. Can this be done ?

Yes it can be done.

DuraCoat is perfect for heat sensitive parts such as scopes, wood, plastics etc. Baking is not required with DuraCoat unless you expect operating temps between 300-600. Baking is primarily used to speed up drying times so for Scopes we just let them air dry

Sorry.... Henry ford moment..... you can have any colour you like as long as its black :P

Luckily thats not the case as we have 18 colours in stock and 2 shades of black :)

If your mate wanted a factory standard look then Semi Gloss Black (also known as HK Black) would be the way to go.

We also keep in stock Tactical Black that is very flat low sheen black.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Ideal, I'll get him to give you a shout.......

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Anyone use, or know who?

Running a 20% off sale while stocks of OD Green last.

As an example:

Rifle Action/Barrel complete with bolt was ?160 now ?126
    Shotgun barrel were ?130 now ?104

Check out @smallarmsservices on Facebook for pictures of our work and to sent us a message for custom quotes.

GH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

Was waiting to throw my 2 cents in on this as I had a bolt shroud and handle for my CZ455 in with @gunhappy_ie and I am a picky picky picky human being when it comes to the small details and credit where credit is due he smashed it out of the ball park! It's nice to know that there is still people out there that take such pride and go to such detail with their work! Would and will be recommending this to everyone and anyone who is looking to get work done! Also helps that he's a sound man to deal with!

Thanks again @gunhappy_ie ! Another very satisfied customer !

CZ455Mad wrote: »
    Was waiting to throw my 2 cents in on this as I had a bolt shroud and handle for my CZ455 in with @gunhappy_ie and I am a picky picky picky human being when it comes to the small details and credit where credit is due he smashed it out of the ball park! It's nice to know that there is still people out there that take such pride and go to such detail with their work! Would and will be recommending this to everyone and anyone who is looking to get work done! Also helps that he's a sound man to deal with!

Thanks again @gunhappy_ie ! Another very satisfied customer !

Thanks for the great review :) Its been a busy week that we've been neglecting to post on Facebook too.

Keep an eye out though we're currently working on a P226 X5 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just got a look at his latest project. Very nice. Looks like a new gun.

From this:

19989453_302410223553368_1025571208600096491_n.jpg?oh=c8c192fa91028b9d9fd06886f63fdc47&oe=59C601F2

To this:

19989438_302417923552598_3078663293027854128_n.jpg?oh=b8b8352a34cb6e817db244f5c8789948&oe=5A0F19D0
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

He did a top paint job on my wife's 6xc, now she wont let me shoot it :(

grVV13Jh.jpg

Cass wrote: »
    Just got a look at his latest project. Very nice. Looks like a new gun.

From this:

19989453_302410223553368_1025571208600096491_n.jpg?oh=c8c192fa91028b9d9fd06886f63fdc47&oe=59C601F2

To this:

19989438_302417923552598_3078663293027854128_n.jpg?oh=b8b8352a34cb6e817db244f5c8789948&oe=5A0F19D0

Thanks Cass, Its a great little gun.

Serial number dates it as a 1977 Grade 1 gun which would have had the nice wood (Rose wood in this case) and bluing on it. What the pictures don't show (im getting better at taking them) is the shine off both the barrel and stock.

Over the years UV light darkens the stocks so once sanded there's no need to stain it as Rose wood is beautiful IMO. I think there's 6 layers of 2 pak lacquer in the wood.What actually saved the paint on the Mag Tube is the Handguard.

Despite them still being made parts are a little awkard find as this needed a specific ejector spring and also a rear sight. The sight isn't essential but it completes the build.

The metal work would have not all of been blued so DuraCoat used:

DuraBlue Polished Blue-Black
    Semi Gloss (HK) Black

Ziggieire wrote: »

grVV13Jh.jpg

DuraCoat Used:

Matt Black
    Light Gray
    Extreme Gray
    White

And those 4 colours blended to different shades to give a total of 7-8 colours.

As I was doing it and took all the stencils off I was thinking that I could have done more. Even when I look at the pictures I have I still think that, despite knowing how long it took and how many colours are in it.

Looking at it there now though its starting to grow on me :)

P.S Sorry about the arguments with the wife but it was the look result I was going for haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Ziggieire wrote: »

grVV13Jh.jpg

very nice!

what rifle is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

ezra_ wrote: »
    very nice!

what rifle is that?
    True and square r700 with GB 1:7.5 6XC barrel.
    PT&G bolt and ViperGen2
    KRG X-Ray chassis

Running another 10% Off with colour of the month Matt Blue-Black on single/double shotgun barrels, barreled actions etc

Check out pictures on the Facebook page :)

Advertisement