Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding a suitable gym in Limerick for my brother

• 29-01-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.my brother had major surgery last May for cancer in the liver/abdomen which left quite huge scars under and over his belly button (like train tracks going left to right ) . He had a follow up appointment on Friday and the doctor said he needs to join a gym and get back into swimming, cardio and weights.
    The problem is, at the age of 24 he is extremely conscious of the scars. They do look pretty bad and he doesnt want people looking at him in the changing rooms etc. Im just asking, is there any gyms that have private/individual changing rooms? He lives in kerry usually and the gym he uses are individual changing rooms but he is staying with us in Limerick until he is back on his feet.Doesnt matter if the gym doesnt have a pool, cant see him swimming anyway. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

UL arena gym? Gym changing rooms are open plan but he could go into the changing rooms for the pool and they are individual cubicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Castletroy park hotel should suit. Its a quite Gym and pool and in the changing rooms there is one cubicle for people who like some privacy. If he can go during the day it will be very quite and he should be able to use the cubicle no problems.

Alternatively if you talk to any gym I'm sure they would be able to accommodate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Some gyms like the strand have a family changing room for both security and privacy. I'm sure, with advance knowledge, that they could accommodate and have such understanding.

My wife also has surgical scars across her abdomen so I can understand his need for privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I have many surgical scars (armpits) and use UL Arena almost daily. Nobody has ever batted an eyelid at me there (or maybe I just never noticed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Could he just leave and have his shower at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Grove Island Gym has both a male only changing area which is open and a unisex changing area which has lots of private cubicles.
    I'm sure if it was mentioned when signing up to any gym he'd get all the help he needed.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Could he just leave and have his shower at home?

Yeah that is an option if he didnt do the swimming I guess. Thank you.
    Berty wrote: »
    Some gyms like the strand have a family changing room for both security and privacy. I'm sure, with advance knowledge, that they could accommodate and have such understanding.

My wife also has surgical scars across her abdomen so I can understand his need for privacy.

Ah thanks, was worried in case people wouldnt understand.

I guess talking to the gyms is the best bet and see what they recommend. I'm sure after a few weeks going he wont care about the scars been so visible.

Advertisement