Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could you live in dolphins Road?

Options
  • 30-01-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi I am looking at a house in doplphins Road. I know dolphins Barn is dangerous, can any body put some light on Dolphins Road? The address is 73 Dolphins road.
    Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Dublin city forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I could, yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jusspy wrote: »
    Hi I am looking at a house in doplphins Road. I know dolphins Barn is dangerous, can any body put some light on Dolphins Road? The address is 73 Dolphins road.
    Thanks!

To be fair Dolphins Road is more in Drimnagh than Dolphins Barn. It's an okay area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Not sure you should be putting the exact address up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Randomly OT but I scored my first hattrick and I got my first ever red card on the soccer pitch there. . . .for getting punched in the mush, I walked away laughing, the guy was four foot nothing, uproar on the touchline, match abandoned with only about 5 minutes left.

Anyway, yeah, it's Drimnagh as opposed to Dolphin's Barn. A little rough around the edges but I wouldn't be fearing for my safety around there - unless you just scored a hattrick against them of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

That neck of the woods near the cul de sac is mostly settled middle aged people who have lived there most of their lives.

I don't hear of much anti social behaviour going on and the main gripe I would have is the amount of cars and the way they park next to the field

Have a word with some of the neighbors and get their opinions. Good transport connections, close to hospitals, cycle to town or Phoenix Park in less than hlalf an hour.
    You could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It's a large enough house for the money, assuming it goes close to asking price. Odd shaped rooms and little in the way of a garden, but depends what you are looking for.

I used to live no far from there, so I'm familiar with the area.
    Area is alright - not the sexiest but there are worse. You're very close to the Luas which really is the biggest selling point for the area. Ennis Butchers in Rialto is decent for fresh meat (one of the best in the City I'd suggest).
    The pubs can be a bit hit and miss. The Bird Flanagan used to be a great pub many years ago but new owners took it over, stuck in a Telly in every corner and ruined it for me. There are a few other good boozers around - Royal Oak in Kilmainham is great for a pint. There seems to be a few other places opened up in the last while.

The Gym in Herberton was decent when I was there - great facility with Pool, Sauna, steam room Jacuzzi as well as a well kitted out Gym.

The War Memorial gardens is criminally underused, its a lovely place to walk and very well maintained.

The Crumlin Shopping Centre has a Dunnes and Tesco but to be honest anytime I've been there I'm literally wondering when they will be kicking both of those tenants out and knocking the place.

Area could have done with a good Cafe and or Restaurant when I was there - there was little there on offer other than a few glorified greasy spoons. If you are OK with eating in, there's no shortage of places that will deliver to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Blackjack wrote: »

The Crumlin Shopping Centre has a Dunnes and Tesco but to be honest anytime I've been there I'm literally wondering when they will be kicking both of those tenants out and knocking the place.

Tesco gone, Molloy's gone. Shell of a place.

There is a Tesco express on the actual Barn now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bear in mind, depending how close you will be to the Barn bridge, they are in the middle of demolishing it. Cranes, big hoarding and assuming in a few weeks there will be the knocked down. Then probably a couple of years of major construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bear in mind, depending how close you will be to the Barn bridge, they are in the middle of demolishing it. Cranes, big hoarding and assuming in a few weeks there will be the knocked down. Then probably a couple of years of major construction work.
    What???

Is this a wind-up or what :confused:

ETA - aha, now I get it - not the actual bridge! The flats - Dolphin House!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Area could have done with a good Cafe and or Restaurant when I was there - there was little there on offer other than a few glorified greasy spoons. If you are OK with eating in, there's no shortage of places that will deliver to you.

The Eleanora used to do a pretty good lunch (don't know if it still does, haven't been there in years).

The Eleanora used to do a pretty good lunch (don't know if it still does, haven't been there in years).
    The only Eleonora I know of is miles away from where that house is! Up near the Long Mile Road.

There's precious little in the area in terms of cafes/restaurants - the nearest nice place would be Union 8 in Kilmainham - and that's very nice indeed! But that's about it.

I'd say where the house is is nice enough - the area can be rough enough around the edges, but the house is in off the busy canal road. I'd have no problem with that tbh.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What???

Is this a wind-up or what :confused:

ETA - aha, now I get it - not the actual bridge! The flats - Dolphin House!

My bad wording :D

My bad wording :D
    It's comical driving up the SCR, all the cars are white with dust!

Not funny for the owners/residents close to the site though, it's going to be a long few years living in a dust cloud :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The only Eleonora I know of is miles away from where that house is! Up near the Long Mile Road.

Yeah, the Elly is a bit if a trek away over in Walkinstown (could be driven in about 5 mins) and if I was making that trip I'd always go for the Halfway first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live in Dolphin's Barn, its grand. Dolphin Road would be very different, maybe a little bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's Crumlin/Drimnagh, not the Barn proper.

These threads are kinda pointless (no offence) as a person's estimation of how rough an area is will differ wildly, espcially on boards, judging by some of the threads you read here.

I'd live there (and have lived there before) with no problem but it's still a working class area (albeit quite settled these days and depending on the road, pretty quiet) so you surely have a fair idea already how you find that type of area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Tesco gone now AFAIK.

Tesco gone now AFAIK.

Went a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Nobody will be kicking Dunnes out as they own the Shopping Centre ( they wouldn't renew leases as they became due which is why the likes of Tuthills and Euro2 and Tesco left ) .

They have planning permission to redevelop it but they have until 2020 to start before the permission becames invalid ( they have already renewed it once in 2015 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

SPDUB wrote: »
    Nobody will be kicking Dunnes out as they own the Shopping Centre ( they wouldn't renew leases as they became due which is why the likes of Tuthills and Euro2 and Tesco left ) .

They have planning permission to redevelop it but they have until 2020 to start before the permission becames invalid ( they have already renewed it once in 2015 )

That's right. I never copped the power supermarkets vs Crumlin investments case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Molloys closed a couple of weeks. Its only Texas Fried Chicken and the pharmacy left now. I think.

Advertisement