Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No one will quote my wife.

• 30-01-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭

Wife is new driver, aged 33. Licence less than 1 yr. driving under my policy on my car since last June.

Attempting to put her on her own policy as we have a car for her and no one will quote unless she has one yr experience. Only quote was for 7k!

Car is a 1.4 Corolla!

Only option seems to be that I take it a second policy on her car and she is named that policy also. Then in June when she has a years experience under the first policy she can be insured under her own name!

Seems pointless!!

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

893bet wrote: »
    Wife is new driver, aged 33. Licence less than 1 yr. driving under my policy on my car since last June.

Attempting to put her on her own policy as we have a car for her and no one will quote unless she has one yr experience. Only quote was for 7k!

Car is a 1.4 Corolla!

Only option seems to be that I take it a second policy on her car and she is named that policy also. Then in June when she has a years experience under the first policy she can be insured under her own name!

Seems pointless!!

Anyone any ideas?

You can't use your NCD on the 2nd car and generally the quote is based on the highest risk driver. Has she a full licence or learners permit?

give this crowd a try, my wife used them for her first insurance policy quite reasonably priced too.

https://www.its4women.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can't use your NCD on the 2nd car and generally the quote is based on the highest risk driver. Has she a full licence or learners permit?

Just after learning that.....

give this crowd a try, my wife used them for her first insurance policy quite reasonably priced too.

https://www.its4women.ie

Refused to quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Refused to quote

Wow , They quoted my Mum really reasonable and she was in her 60s getting her first licence , Is the car very old or something ?

They remained very cheap and her insurance is less than my Dads now despite her having a claim in year 1 and him having 50 years driving without a claim !

• Advertisement

I don't know what is going on.

I found that if I said the car was worth less that a certain amount I couldn't get an online quote, raised the value and started getting quotes.

Maybe worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Langerous

That's ridiculous, I am a 26 year old man driving a 17 year old car and I was quoted 2000 which isn't bad considering, try first Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Thats going to be your problem , No insurance company likes quoting cars over 10 years old
    If you have not already bought could you go for a 1.1 litre and try stay under 10 years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

In response to a valid question by the OP I have quoted the following nugget of information from a previous thread. I regard this information as both on-topic and potentially enlightening (and therefore helpful) for the OP.

(Sorry for the weird quasi legal qualifier, there are super secret reasons why I must do this. Seriously! I can't even say if there were sanctions the last time I posted this info!!)
    Insurers tend to avoid, or be cautious of, mature novice drivers because they would not be the norm. I have extensive experience (no statistics) of drivers reinventing themselves after a troubled past motoring history they do not wish to declare. Most people start driving long before 30, so they do come up on the radar

And yes, I know, the good honest decent ones all get tarred with the same brush

• Advertisement

Thanks all! Def her first time driving! Nothing dodge in the past but I can see how that may be done!

We have found a single company that at this point are willing to insure based upon is providing proof of her current 8 months named experience. 2.5k or so.

Hopefully all goes well!

Advertisement