Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser Consultation

Options
  • 30-01-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone would have a recommendation for a hairdresser in Dublin who they've found good for offering some advice on a treatment programme?

A bit of background - a couple of years ago a hairdresser cut some delightfully short layers in the back of my hair that I didn't ask for and hated instantly! I thought I'd suffer through them and just grow them out but all these years later they're basically still the same length. The hairdresser I normally go to explained that this is due to them being so damaged that they just don't grow past a certain length (I used to be a fiend for the ghd :o) so what I've been doing for around the past year is the following:
    • Ditching the ghd as much as possible, maybe use it once every two months
    • Getting trims every 2 months, but the hairdresser advised leaving the layers untouched during these trims
    • Using the L'Oreal Pro Fiber shampoo & conditioner range that she recommended to repair damage

My issue is a year later there's very little change!! I've quite fine hair so the short layers at the back mean my hair looks even thinner. I'm basically looking to try a different hairdresser to see if they might offer any different advice on what I can try!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

The hairdresser I normally go to explained that this is due to them being so damaged that they just don't grow past a certain length

Either you've misunderstood your hairdresser or she doesn't understand hair growth cycles.

http://www.philipkingsley.com/hair-guide/hair-science/hair-growth-cycle/

Even if you set fire to it or shave your head, unless you have an underlying medical problem, the hair will grow back. Whatever damage you do to it, doesn't affect new hair growth.

Hair doesn't grow continually and it will have a pre-determined length that it will grow to before it stops growing, rests and then naturally falls out. So some people like me, can't grow hair past shoulder length as it comes to the end of it's growth cycle and will fall out. Others can grow their hair to their bum. For some people, as they age, the period of growth gets shorter.

What type of hairstyle do you have at the moment? Is your hairdresser cutting your hair shorter at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Either you've misunderstood your hairdresser or she doesn't understand hair growth cycles.

http://www.philipkingsley.com/hair-guide/hair-science/hair-growth-cycle/

Even if you set fire to it or shave your head, unless you have an underlying medical problem, the hair will grow back. Whatever damage you do to it, doesn't affect new hair growth.

Hair doesn't grow continually and it will have a pre-determined length that it will grow to before it stops growing, rests and then naturally falls out. So some people like me, can't grow hair past shoulder length as it comes to the end of it's growth cycle and will fall out. Others can grow their hair to their bum. For some people, as they age, the period of growth gets shorter.

What type of hairstyle do you have at the moment? Is your hairdresser cutting your hair shorter at the back?

Thanks for the reply. I could well have misunderstood her! My hair at the moment a good few inches past my shoulders, except for the layers at the very back which stop just at neck level and don't go any further. Before I got those layers cut in, my hair would have been all the same length and about down to my bra strap.

Is it possible that the layered hair at the back just can't grow past a certain length any more, while the hair underneath can?

Advertisement