Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v supply

Options
  • 30-01-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi

Im going to install a NEST thermostat which requires a 12v supply.
    It can be wired back to the Heatlink (provided) using existing old thermostat wires but i want to move the new thermostat to another room.

So I need to somehow power this with a 12v supply. It comes with a micro USB connection and i could just plug this into a wall socket but i would rather route the cables in the wall to make it look nicer.

What are my options to do this?

if I locate the thermostat on a wall near a electrical wall socket can i use the wiring in the socket to power an `LED driver to do the step-down for me?
    Id like to hide the LED driver in the wall cavity too but this is probably dangerous.

Any suggestions on how i can get a 12 supply to a wall would be warmly received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

If your walls are slabs with a gap behind you could plug in the Nest and run the cable up behind the slab to the stat. The power would still be accessible and minimal cable showing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Strange that it has a micro USB connection but requires 12v and not 5v...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Thanks, ill look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

exaisle wrote: »
    Strange that it has a micro USB connection but requires 12v and not 5v...

I need to read more about it, it only needs the power to recharge an internal battery i think so perhaps it can run off 5v or 12 v

• Advertisement
Advertisement