Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduction of Hours?

Options
  • 30-01-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I'm lead to believe that my hours will be reduced in the near future and wondering can they do it to me or have I any rights?

So I signed a part time contract in October 2013, maybe it was 12 hours a week or something along the lines of that, with for arguments sake we'll say call the company Noonans ( not the real name ).

So I worked on a site from Oct 2013 - March 2014 doing maybe 25 hours a week.

In March 2014 I got offered another site which was 3 days a week, 14 hours a day, so 42 hours a week, and have been working that shift until now, so March 2014 until present.

There are only five 14 hour shifts available on this site. The fella that works the other 2 days has a permanent contract from years and years ago and is now available to work the days that I've been doing the last nearly 3 years.

I pretty confident that the supervisors will put him on my 3 days and leave me with 2 days. Can they do that? Am i entitled to full time hours seeing as i've been on full time hours for nearly 3 years even though i only signed a part time contract at the very start?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think if your on a part time contract they can change your hours at will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You may want to get some advice from FLAC or similar. I'm sure there are exceptions but 14 hours shifts wouldn't generally be allowed unless there was some odd pattern allowing an 11 hour rest break between shifts.

Never looked into the legalities of custom and practice in regard to hours, but I was always told to keep an eye on it when I was rostering PT staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 joebloggsh

Well i work same pattern every week, eg. tues , thurs, sat

I was under the impression that after working full time for over 2 years they'd have to keep me full time hours..

I've absolutely no idea about it though, maybe contacting FLAC would be an idea alright ! thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement