Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Hygienist

Options
  • 30-01-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello there.

I am considering studying Dental Hygiene in either TCD or UCC. I am just wondering is there anyone out there who has done either course who can give me more information about what the job opportunities were like when they completed. Also does anyone know how many hours on average Dental Hygienists are getting at the moment as well as what the average pay is.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dimples54

The two colleges are very different. I did it in tcd. It's a full on course, very intense as so much is packed into 2 years.
    Finding a job isn't a problem. I'm only out a few years and everyone from my year and the year below and behind all have jobs. As it's predominantly females you can often get a maternity cover job and then get a day or two out of that as most won't want to go back to full time work. Most hygienist works in a few practices- working a day or two in each.
    As for wages it's very varied. I know ppl who are on 20 and hour and others that could be making about 80€ and hour. Depends on who your working for, how busy it is and if your on a set rate or a % of earnings

Megatooth wrote: »
    Hello there.

I am considering studying Dental Hygiene in either TCD or UCC. I am just wondering is there anyone out there who has done either course who can give me more information about what the job opportunities were like when they completed. Also does anyone know how many hours on average Dental Hygienists are getting at the moment as well as what the average pay is.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pink_Glitter

Hello, I just wanted to ask did you apply for the courses ? Did you get them ? I have applied for both, my UCC interview is at the end of this month. If you did interviews for these I would greatly appreciate some tips and anything you remember being asked. Also if you don't mind me asking how are you financing the course ? (If you are currently doing it) ��

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dimples54

i did interviews for both. Being honest, i found the cork interview much harder but supposedly the course there is easier and more laid back from the sounds of things.
    Trinity is very strict. it depends on where you live and if you need to move to do either. I moved in with family while i did the course in trinity. Very few in my course worked part time during college as the corse is 8.30- 5.30 and theres quite a bit of work to do at night/weekends.
    it was 8,700 per year when i did it so presume its over 9k per year now.
    theres loads of jobs at the moment, and always will be i imagine as prsi contribution for hygiene is back and as theres only 8 places per year in dublin so demand is high.

PM me if you want to know anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pink_Glitter

Thank you so much for your reply , it's so helpful to hear from someone whose done the course , I did the cork interview last year but didn't get it (and your right it was very hard) nervous to go and do it again , hopefully I'll do better this time around ...it's so frustrating that the fees are so high , thanks again 😊

Advertisement