Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Foil Shaver

Options
  • 30-01-2017 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

I have always flipped between using 3 head rotary and 3+ blade manual shavers for over 20 years. Both give me skin irritation and the electric one would take that little bit too long to get it all.

I needed a new electric shaver and decided to go for a foil one just to satisfy my curiosity as to how it compared to a 3 head rotary, thinking it wouldn't be as good.

The unit I bough was fully charged up when I took it out of the box and I was fully shaved in less that 5 mins. I am gob-smacked by the results. Hardly any irritation save for the bottom of my neck which is minimal and I find the shave every bit as good as a regular shave. Also I didn't feel it drag on my skin so it was a pleasant smooth experience. And it only cost 40 euro. When I look at the high price of the some of the shavers on offer I still can't imagine how they could give a better shave.

So, if anyone is grappling between rotary and foil I couldn't recommend foil more. If it only last a year I would be happy to buy the same replacement next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Good to hear a positive experience for an electric option. What brand/model was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Good to hear a positive experience for an electric option. What brand/model was it?

This one:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6208033/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/c_2/3%7C19805475%7CMen%27s+shavers%7C14418367/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418367%7CFoil+shavers%7C14418370.htm

It doesn't feel in any way cheep and it's nice to hold in the hand.

The next model up was 15 euro more expensive but afaics the additional benefits are gimicky like a lcd display to show how much power remains. I'm sure shaving performance is exactly the same.

I have a hunch that Braun make the best budge models over Remington. I've bought too much Remington tat over the years, beard trimmers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

learn_more wrote: »

I have a hunch that Braun make the best budge models over Remington. I've bought too much Remington tat over the years, beard trimmers etc.

totally agree with you on the Remington stuff, and they seem to be everywhere. Awful rubbish.
    I'm tempted to try that foil shaver, as a DE shaving fan I feel dirty now :D
    Sometimes I just want a quick 5 minute shave to take the heavy shadow off, if I rushed a DE shave it wouldn't end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

totally agree with you on the Remington stuff, and they seem to be everywhere. Awful rubbish.
    I'm tempted to try that foil shaver, as a DE shaving fan I feel dirty now :D
    Sometimes I just want a quick 5 minute shave to take the heavy shadow off, if I rushed a DE shave it wouldn't end well.

Before you do just have to say I haven't tried it yet on one days growth. So when I first used it I had 5 days or so growth which probably helps with electric shavers as the longer hairs would be easier for the cutter to catch , I'd imagine. I'm sure it would be adequate for 1 days growth too though.

Advertisement