Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying my first tent

Options
  • 30-01-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    This year iv decided its time to start camping,
    In the summer I think we will spend 3 weeks camping in the west and south west of Ireland,
    I was just wondering could anyone recommend a first tent I should buy and also is there any other must have items I will need,
    I understand I will need bedding and that but is there any good tips for getting started

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

How are you planning on getting around? Under your own power or bus/car?
    Will you be on your own or with people?
    Will you be cooking yourself?

There are a heap of good sales on at the moment but a bit more info would help. Sounds like a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Always a nice holiday, we spent a while wild camping around Connemara and Mayo a while back, was a lovely break.

A lot will depend on how many people are going and how you're intending on getting around. If you're planning on carrying everything on your back you'll want very different kit than if you're driving from campsite to campsite...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

CardinalJ wrote: »
    How are you planning on getting around? Under your own power or bus/car?
    Will you be on your own or with people?
    Will you be cooking yourself?

There are a heap of good sales on at the moment but a bit more info would help. Sounds like a great trip.
    Plan on getting around by car, but no doubt we will bring the old one so I don't mind leaving it parked up somewhere for a few days,
    Just myself and the other half, I guess cooking ourselves but if need be we can always eat somewhere,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Plan on getting around by car, but no doubt we will bring the old one so I don't mind leaving it parked up somewhere for a few days,
    Just myself and the other half, I guess cooking ourselves but if need be we can always eat somewhere,

The main question is, are you planning on carrying your gear for any distance or parking up at your site and unloading there?

The former would need lighter gear, the latter would allow you a bigger tent and to take more comforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have you got a stove and cook/eating gear?
    Have you practiced cooking a meal on the stove?

Have you camped before? I'd advise (as a minimum) getting a really cheap tent and doing a dry run overnight somewhere, possibly even in a room in your house, if the tent is self standing.

This would include cooking on your stove, having no electric light, phone use etc. If cooking inside, make sure you've windows wide open and stove is on some fireproof slab. If you can cook outside it'd be better preperation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement