Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive on Windows Server 2012

Options
  • 30-01-2017 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

My boss has asked me to find a way for her to have a personal drive on our windows server 2012. At the moment we have one drive with all our documents, photos etc on it. She has a folder on this drive along with 8 others in the office.

But she'd like to have her own drive that will only be available from her computer. She wants it on the server too. And she wants it done the cheapest way possible (of course).

At first I created a folder on the server using the locker.bat method with a password BUT she isn't happy with that as she said it doesn't always work. She said it didn't always lock and hide the folder.

Is there anything I could do? Is buying a hard drive and installing an easy option? Is it difficult to do?

Is there any other way to provide her a private folder on the server? I'd really appreciate your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Add user class account on the server under her name with a password. Then create a share on the existing drive from the servers admin account and set its access rights to the created user only.

She can then map that location as a drive letter and it will be invisible to all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

Thanks ED E. I'm not 100% sure I can do that. Could I buy another drive and install it myself on the Windows Server 2012? Is that possible? Would you know what drive I'd need?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The drive is like a box. It just stores things. Doesnt control who opens it.

If you do not have rights to do the above then you cannot achieve your objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

What physical hardware is server 2012 sitting on? Does it have expansion slots for extra hdd's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

No offence OP, but if you don't know what you are doing then you shouldn't be messing about with a company server. Get your network admin to set this up for you.
    It should take less than 5 mins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement