Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information requested from Letting Agent at viewing stage

Options
  • 30-01-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new place with my girlfriend. I've been in the same place for the last 5 years but heard that letting agents have started looking for an excessive amount of information at the application stage. So, for the second viewing that we have arranged we've been asked to fill out a form by the letting agent requesting:

Name
    Current Address
    DOB
    Mobile
    PPS number
    Passport number
    Employer's name
    Employer's address
    Job Title
    Employer's phone number
    Bank Name
    Bank Address
    Bank account name
    BIC
    IBAN

On top of all that info they want a previous landlords reference, employers reference, a bank reference and a copy of our passport. The form also has to be signed.

So obviously some of it I don't have a problem with and having it ready can speed up the whole process. I can understand why a landlord's reference and an employer's reference are important as well as name, phone number and e-mail. But as for the rest - what on earth do they want all that information for? I'm very conscious that they'd have my ID, bank details, a copy of my signature, copy of my passport, work details. It would be incredibly easy for them to access my bank account with all of that information and even to transfer money from it. The biggest stumbling block they'd face is a lack of funds!

I know it's highly unlikely that they'd do that, but I'm very hesitant to give out any personal information without a reason for it and this is a huge amount of personal information that they are requesting.

I suppose I'm asking is this normal? And specifically, what do they want with my banking details (is this just so that they could fill in a direct debit form?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Normal, excessive, probably exposing themselves to issues with data protection, but what are your options?

One would be don't go through an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

I just find it incredible that they're asking for all of this. I've heard of others asking for copies of bank statements too. These are supposed to be professionals.

But as you say, what can you do? We need a place, have a budget and only so many areas will suit us. If we rule out places for having letting agents demanding crazy levels of information there's another bunch of places gone. I'm definitely drawing the line somewhere before bank statements though - that's insane. And I won't be handing over the form unless I am interested. And I'll possibly leave a couple of bits blank - they really don't need all that information if they're not renting the apartment to us.

I tend to agree at the viewing stage but it's just so easy to get awful tenants and so hard to get them out. A lack of proper credit referencing in Ireland is to blame for the ridiculous requests for bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

It's a breach of the Data Protection Acts but there's not a lot you can do if you want the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

It's a breach of the Data Protection Acts but there's not a lot you can do if you want the place.

How's it a breach of data protection? If the data is used for a purpose other than what it was given for then it'd be a breach of data protection.
    However if you provide an agency with a list of info, I fail to see how that in itself breaches data protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They don't have any legitimate interest in that data until there is an agreement of some sort to let the property to the OP. That's why it's a breach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

They don't have any legitimate interest in that data until there is an agreement of some sort to let the property to the OP. That's why it's a breach.

I'd agree bank details are premature until an agreement is signed, but the other details are legitimate. They are proof of identity and references of good standing, both important when deciding whether to accept you as a tenant.

The data controller could just dispose of those details by the required methods after consideration and they will have complied with data regs.

Maybe you think it's just a case of the viewer saying "I'll take it" and the EA shakes their hand? Those days are long gone, the LL wants to know who you are, have you a history of being a good/bad tenant and are you likely to be able to pay the rent, anything less is asking for trouble.

I wouldn't give the bank details at this stage, but the other info, if the op doesn't want to give it then he/she probably will not be considered as a tenant, that's the way the market is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For this letting I dealt with an agent for the first time for years.

After i had agreed the tenancy, they asked for a copy of my passport and proof of existing address and references including current landlord. They said the first two were de rigueur in law.

I paid the first month and deposit by bank transfer so they will have the bank details. They cannot access statements etc.

Nothing more and i would jib at that; BUT my family told them they would act as guarantor for rent etc so that may have assured them.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

This is very standard now unfortunately. If they insist on bank statements just redact everything except for your current rent payments going out. Although one would think that landlord reference on that score is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

posy2010 wrote: »
    This is very standard now unfortunately. If they insist on bank statements just redact everything except for your current rent payments going out. Although one would think that landlord reference on that score is sufficient.

I did this before and the landlord replied saying that they wanted to see full transaction information not just rent related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Why do they want your bank details? They don't need your BIC/IBAN unless they want to give money to you. I would really hesitate giving that information out. The rest of it is ok.

These are just safeguards to ensure that the rent will be paid.

If it was reasonably easy to get rid of a bad/non-paying tenant, then all this would not be necessary. Any landlord or agent who has faced a non paying tenant and the dysfunctional Irish courts system wouldl never give potential tenants the benefit of the doubt again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

I wouldn't be keen on giving a boss's phone number. An email address, no bother, but I don't like the idea of a boss being rang up for a reference for anything other than a new job. At least with an email, they can answer whenever they like, but a phone call is a bit disruptive when they could be busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

Years ago when I was renting somewhere that requested bank statements I just got a letter from the bank manager to say I was known to them/was in a financial position to cover rent etc. That was accepted as sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is an offence to seek a PPS number in these circumstances. The PPS number has no application in credit checking. https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Use-of-PPSN/1247.htm

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Why do they want your bank details? They don't need your BIC/IBAN unless they want to give money to you. I would really hesitate giving that information out. The rest of it is ok.

I assume that they want this so they have it ready to put on a direct debit form should they choose you for the property.

I can understand why they want all the information really and even at this stage. If it's all there from the start there'll be no hold ups if you both decide to proceed with the letting. However, I just find it intrusive and beyond reasonable to request it at this stage. Renters could easily view 10 places and in that case are you supposed to give out all of this information to 10 different individuals / companies? I'll bring references with me when viewing places, but I'm not going to start giving out my passport, PPS number and banking information unless I'm actually interested in a place.

And from work I have some awareness of data protection rules (I'm certainly no expert). But I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to request information unless you have a use for it. So collecting information because you might have a use for it in future I'm pretty sure would not be allowed. You could argue a use for some of it, but I can't see how you'd get away with other requests, like banking information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I would be doing the same if I was the agent

Even more, 3 months deposit minimum.

He's letting out an asset that could be worth 200k plus

They have to cover themselves now over the governments fiddling with the market

If you go to Argos to buy a wash machine on credit they look for similar info

200k asset, no prob for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Big difference.. Argos don't look for any of that information until you have decided you want the washing machine.
    They don't look for it as a prerequisite for getting in the door of their shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

thierry14 wrote: »
    I would be doing the same if I was the agent

Even more, 3 months deposit minimum.

He's letting out an asset that could be worth 200k plus

They have to cover themselves now over the governments fiddling with the market

If you go to Argos to buy a wash machine on credit they look for similar info

200k asset, no prob for me

How is knowing your bank account number going to protect them? They can't just wander in to your bank saying "I reckon Thierry owes me €50k, hand it over to me". PPS and passport seems a bit like overkill. I wouldn't mind showing someone those (and the PPS is needed to register the tenancy I think), but I wouldn't be keen on giving someone a copy of my passport, particularly when I have no idea how/where it will be stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

How's it a breach of data protection? If the data is used for a purpose other than what it was given for then it'd be a breach of data protection.
    However if you provide an agency with a list of info, I fail to see how that in itself breaches data protection

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docimages/documents/Annual%20Report%202014.pdf

p22 Case Study 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zdragon

and they should be reported to data commissioner on excessive data collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Previous threads on this have been derailed by data protection discussion. Please let's not go there again. Thanks

If anyone's curious we found a place last night and are renting directly from the owner so he wasn't even all that interested in references. We have them and will send them on anyway, but I think with someone renting their own place they'll trust their judgement more than a reference. The letting agents are just covering themselves and want to be able to say to their client that they got references and did reasonable checks so did all they can.

blue note wrote: »
    If anyone's curious we found a place last night and are renting directly from the owner so he wasn't even all that interested in references. We have them and will send them on anyway, but I think with someone renting their own place they'll trust their judgement more than a reference. The letting agents are just covering themselves and want to be able to say to their client that they got references and did reasonable checks so did all they can.

Exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement