Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide Castle gigs

Options
  • 30-01-2017 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭

Seems The 1975 are playing Malahide Castle in June, hopefully that means the end of Marley Park, much better transport links to Malahide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seems The 1975 are playing Malahide Castle in June, hopefully that means the end of Marley Park, much better transport links to Malahide.
    Hearing 2 more dates to be added also, Kodaline and Arcade Fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's a perfect arrangement for me. 15 minutes on the train if they decided to put on more services. Marlay Park is a pain to get too but Slane can be just as bad, all the roads there are country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Malahide Castle is a great venue.

I've seen the Arctic Monkeys, Neil Young and Prince there.

Beautiful setting, minimal queing for the bar/toilets, ample parking and a 15 min walk to the DART station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Elemonator wrote: »
    It's a perfect arrangement for me. 15 minutes on the train if they decided to put on more services. Marlay Park is a pain to get too but Slane can be just as bad, all the roads there are country roads.

There's probably only one or two acts who'd tempt me to Marlay again..
    Same with Slane..

Hopefully more gigs announced for Malahide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Never been to a gig before at Malahide but recently started working in the village so I know the surrounding roads quite well. What makes it better compared to Marley park? I can still imagine buses struggling on the roads around here. I know the Dart station is there but that can hardly take everyone to the gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Elemonator wrote: »
    Marlay Park is a pain to get to.

What are you talking about? It's 10 minutes walk from my front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

threein99 wrote: »
    Never been to a gig before at Malahide but recently started working in the village so I know the surrounding roads quite well. What makes it better compared to Marley park? I can still imagine buses struggling on the roads around here. I know the Dart station is there but that can hardly take everyone to the gig

The village, with it's pubs, is only a 5min walk from the venue, and you'd be surprised how many people a DART can carry, over a 3hr period, with any specials they put on, it can run into the thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I wouldn't really be sure that this particular gig being held in Malahide Castle is an indication that Marlay Park will not be used this year for concerts.

Malahide Castle has been used by Aiken Promotions, Pod Promotions and MCD, whereas any concerts held in Marlay Park, have, as far as I know, only been promoted by MCD.

MCD are promoting the 1975 gig. MCD also promoted Radiohead in Malahide Castle in June 2008, and Marlay Park has since been used by MCD.

MCD also promoted gigs in Marlay Park in 2008, including Muse, supported by Kasabian on 13th August 2008, and The Killers, on 21st August 2008.

https://mcd.ie/artists/the-1975/

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/special-arrangements-to-handle-traffic-heading-to-bon-jovi-and-radiohead-gigs-1.1217288

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/the-killers-to-play-dublins-marlay-park-in-august-26433513.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

I wouldn't really be sure that this particular gig being held in Malahide Castle is an indication that Marlay Park will not be used this year for concerts.

Malahide Castle has been used by Aiken Promotions, Pod Promotions and MCD, whereas any concerts held in Marlay Park, have, as far as I know, only been promoted by MCD.

MCD are promoting the 1975 gig. MCD also promoted Radiohead in Malahide Castle in June 2008, and Marlay Park has since been used by MCD.

MCD also promoted gigs in Marlay Park in 2008, including Muse, supported by Kasabian on 13th August 2008, and The Killers, on 21st August 2008.

https://mcd.ie/artists/the-1975/

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/special-arrangements-to-handle-traffic-heading-to-bon-jovi-and-radiohead-gigs-1.1217288

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/the-killers-to-play-dublins-marlay-park-in-august-26433513.html

Maybe they're only gonna do longitude at marlay this year and have the one off gigs like 1975 in malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Maybe they're only gonna do longitude at marlay this year and have the one off gigs like 1975 in malahide

Indeed, I would imagine if Longitude is happening this year, they'd have it in Marlay Park once again.

What is the capacity of each venue? I'm not sure which holds more people. Perhaps MCD have the option to choose which venue to use depending on what size of crowd they expect to attend the particular gigs, rather than it being the case that they are using one venue and not the other?

Does Malahide Castle not have the same issues regarding getting public transport to and from the venue? I can't remember if extra trains were put on after shows there, or if Dublin Bus put on extra services, for the gigs held in Malahide Castle in recent years.

My guess is that, the problems in getting back into town after the gigs in Marlay Park, in recent years - where Dublin Bus didn't run a special shuttle service - are when people arrive at the venue during the afternoon and early evening, by the general daily public transport Dublin Bus service, for example the Dublin Bus number 16 service, and that after the gig, there are too many people looking to get back into town, at the one time, and not enough Dublin Bus services from Rathfarnham going back into town at around 10.30pm -11.30pm, to accommodate everyone, at that time.

For the Marlay Park gigs, in the last few years, Marathon Coaches seems to be the main shuttle bus service, to and from the venue, and works out fine for anyone who has bought a return ticket, when taking a bus to the venue.

I remember the time Al Green and Joe Cocker played Malahide Castle in 2007, Dublin Bus had special shuttle return services, but in recent years the shuttle bus service, to and from Marlay Park, has been operated by Marathon Coaches.

It'll be interesting to see if a shuttle bus service is operated for this 1975 gig, or any others that may be announced for Malahide Castle, and which bus company might operate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Anybody no who is supporting the 1975??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I can see Catfish and The Bottlemen being added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Earplugs required for The 1975, or a trip to Achill island. Across the road from the park! Joking...
    Nothing there to tempt me yet. Maybe Arcade Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

seachto7 wrote: »
    Earplugs required for The 1975, or a trip to Achill island. Across the road from the park! Joking...
    Nothing there to tempt me yet. Maybe Arcade Fire.
    New album out in the Spring apparently. Needs to be a step up from Reflektor. Still, as long as they play the hits they put on a show unrivalled by most major acts.

New album out in the Spring apparently. Needs to be a step up from Reflektor. Still, as long as they play the hits they put on a show unrivalled by most major acts.

I actually enjoyed a few of the tracks from Reflektor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I actually enjoyed a few of the tracks from Reflektor
    So did I. Maybe three tracks off a double album. Obviously others enjoyed it more but I believe it was a substantial fall in standard from their previous work. Looking forward to the new album anyway.

The Blizzards and Pale Waves added as support for 1975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Arcade Fire announce special guests!

13 June Belsonic: The Kooks
    14 June Malahide Castle and Gardens: BOMBA ESTEREO

Tickets on sale now: http://bit.ly/2p7uns0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hey,

I have a teenage daughter heading to the 1975, any advice?
    Is it difficult to get in and out of?
    I am coming from southside, am I better off getting the Dart?
    What time would it most likely finish at?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

bullvine wrote:
    I have a teenage daughter heading to the 1975, any advice? Is it difficult to get in and out of? I am coming from southside, am I better off getting the Dart? What time would it most likely finish at?

There only really 2 ways in and out and I'm sure it will be a nightmare on a concert.. the roads wouldn't be the best.. and the dart will be absolutely hectic.. I'd say it will be over about 11.. maybe shuttle bus from town be best bet for people on southside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re:"Hey,
    What time would it most likely finish at
    ?"

If you want to meet your daughter after the show, arrange to meet her at the train station and get the DART back to the southside. The train st is in close proximity to the entrance to Malahide Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

poundhound wrote: »
    Re:"Hey,
    What time would it most likely finish at
    ?"

If you want to meet your daughter after the show, arrange to meet her at the train station and get the DART back to the southside. The train st is in close proximity to the entrance to Malahide Castle.

Thanks, sounds like a nightmare already

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

bullvine wrote: »
    Thanks, sounds like a nightmare already

Hi all,
    Anyone know if there is any additional transport to the concerts in Malahide castle other than the Dart from Dublin city?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Hi
    Do anyone know if I drive to Malahide castle for Arcade Fire were the carparks are, would it much of a walk. Pregnant wife so what as little of walking as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Anybody know the rough stage times for The 1975 gig on Saturday? Starts at 4 but what time will it finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Anyone know if there will be any organised buses from town to/ from Arcade Fire this Wednesday? Or is it just the normal dublin buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

dmm82 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be any organised buses from town to/ from Arcade Fire this Wednesday? Or is it just the normal dublin buses?

Cant find any buses..but there are additional Darts on for the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

RE: The 1975, driving up. Does anyone know what the parking situation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

I see MCD haven't published stage times for Arcade Fire later. What time do people think they'll be on? Presumably it'll be over by half 10 (extra DARTs start at 10.40)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Dazed909 wrote: »
    I see MCD haven't published stage times for Arcade Fire later. What time do people think they'll be on? Presumably it'll be over by half 10 (extra DARTs start at 10.40)

They have. 7:30 for support, 8:30 for Arcade Fire (some other source on twiter saying 8:45).

Check here all all the info regarding transport/parking/what not to bring etc:http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/arcade-fire-at-malahide-castle-everything-you-need-to-know-1.3118040

Advertisement